• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Finally Moving to the Area - Help Needed!

robertmtz

Tuned and Synch'ed
It's taken me longer than I'd hoped, but the Guzzi (07 Norge) is being shipped on Monday to my new address in D.C. Problem: -- it won't start. Battery is charged. Lights come on. It makes a loud clacking noise but the engine does not turn over.

I figure to go ahead and ship it. When it gets to the DC area, where should I take it to get it fixed? I've had periodic (chronic?) electical problems. I need a tech who knows the area and won't investigate or learn at my expense.

Advice and recommendations much appreciated. if you have immediate advice on how it might get started, pls email to rmtzger@gmail.com.

Hope to be meeting and riding with you soon.

Bob M

Clean the battery terminals. She just might start. If not, the loud clacking (starter solenoid engaging and disengaging) is classic bad battery. It may have 12 volts, but doesn't output enough amps to do the job.

robertmtz said:
It's taken me longer than I'd hoped, but the Guzzi (07 Norge) is being shipped on Monday to my new address in D.C. Problem: -- it won't start. Battery is charged. Lights come on. It makes a loud clacking noise but the engine does not turn over.

I figure to go ahead and ship it. When it gets to the DC area, where should I take it to get it fixed? I've had periodic (chronic?) electical problems. I need a tech who knows the area and won't investigate or learn at my expense.

Advice and recommendations much appreciated. if you have immediate advice on how it might get started, pls email to rmtzger@gmail.com.

Hope to be meeting and riding with you soon.

Bob M

Bob,

Where are you living in DC? I work at 18th & C Streets, NW. Once bike gets here I could possibly come up one weekend and take a look.

There are three dealers (sort of) in the DC area (not really). One in Maryland, north of Baltimore, one in Winchester, VA (about 2.5 hours west of DC), they were a dealer, dropped and then just picked the line back up. There is a dealer in Williamsburg, VA that I deal with, they are 3.5 hours from DC, 100 miles from my house which is south of Fredericksburg, VA.

My Stelvio had issues and I spent the day cleaning all the electrical connects that I could find on the bike. I believe the battery cables and the connections at the starter (both + & -) solved my clacky noise (starter solenoid). I thought is was a battery issue and my dealer told me to clean all the connections first, battery is 3 yrs old and is fine.

Actually, as mentioned before, there is a dealer in Elkridge Md (Speed's Cycle) which is a little south of Baltimore and not far from DC. Elkridge is less then 30 minutes north of where 95 north and the DC beltway (495) meet. They have a mechanic who is a long time Guzzi guy and knows what he is doing. But they are mainly a Ducati shop, not really focused on Guzzi's. But their guy Walt has worked on my bikes and done a fine job.
There is a dealer about an hour and a half north of there in PA called Europa Macchina that is worth the trip. They are an exotic car dealer/restorer that also does Guzzi's. Their Guzzi mechanic is Art and he has also worked on my Guzzi's and done a great job. The dealer in Winchester I'm sure is fine but my one experience there was a negative one (that was 10 years ago). Williamsburg is a bit of a hike, I have not been to that dealer but others have had good experience there.

Thanks to all for the interest and suggestions. I was able to get it started. The solution involved better insulation on some exposed wires (for power to Zumo) and a tighter connection on the negative battery terminal.

The bike now is en route from LA to DC ... don't know when it will arrive, but I will be in touch again when it does!

Bob

Further to my last message, I also spent time cleaning the battery terminals. rereading the message string I realize I have more cleaning to do. Since the problem I encountered - solenoid clacking - is what others reported, this is where I'll focus once the bike arrives in DC

I have visited Speed's and that seemed plausible and relatively close by. I also visited Battley's near Gaithersburg and they thought they could service it.

(Both these visits were reconn a couple of months ago. But now the bike IS en route.)

I'll be living on Conn. Ave near Brandywine and working around 22d & Penn. I don't figure to commute to work - as I often did in LA - but I am collecting info on what seems to be fun and different riding opportunities.

See you soon!

You get squared away? No expert, but you never know.
I do say this: Under NO circumstances let your shadow darken the doorway of the shop near Winchester.
Life, limb, wallet, sanity, all will be forfeit.

Back