• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2008 breva 1200 sport popping ???

mr g

Just got it firing!
hi im new to moto guzzi just got a new 2008 breva 1200 sport what is this bike suppose to run like when you shift or slow down it has a terrible popping from exhaust like an exhaust leak also when its sitting idleing it has a skip/cough every once in awhile checked for leaks made sure all is tight...only 600 mi dealer in georgia told me thats the way it runs im not happy ..maby ill try fast trixx in tallahassee see what they tell me how do the other sports run ?? not like mine i hope .feel like pushing it to the corner of garage an leaving it there.....mr g

Yes, they all do the same spitting and popping. . .
Put a valve between the airbox and the steppermotor and it will be gone for 90%.

Hi Mr G,

This is quite normal for these bikes - it's just the way there are. You can do one of several things to cure it:
- Disconnect the stepper motor air intake and block it as this is the main culprit;
- Upgrade the ECU map to the latest. This will reduce it but not completely get rid of it;
- Talk to Todd on this forum (GTRX) and get your ECU upgraded with a proper fuel map that will give you smoother running down low, no popping, better midrange. Get one of his exhausts as well so it then sounds right.

All of these solutions have been discussed on this forum (and others) to the Nth degree, so you will find what works best for you.
Search through these forums, read the pros and cons, then make your decision based on how thick your wallet is!

Martin said:
Yes, they all do the same spitting and popping. . .
Put a valve between the airbox and the steppermotor and it will be gone for 90%.

I have only average mechanical ability. How difficult is this mod and is it reversible ? Any pics available ?

The popping on my B1200 just drives me nuts almost to the point of trading this otherwise wonderful bike on something else.

Thanks,

I agree the popping on decal is annoying,
Check for cracks in the exhaust link pipe under the engine, mine went at 12000 miles. This can be welded or repalced under warranty.
I wonder if the latest models suffer from it or the bulky silencer/cat box muffles it or even they have solved it in the engine map.

As Tony and the other members who have replied here have stated, the 1200 Sport model does pop, especially on the overrun. Disconnecting the stepper motor and checking for exhaust leaks certainly helps reduce it.

It seems to vary from bike to bike, Tony's bike popped less than mine when both were standard, however I have since fitted one of Todd's ECUs which has completely stopped the popping (a shame as I liked it on the overrun). It is pretty easy to do (sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?topic=54449.0), you should have no problem if you are mechanically inclined. You just need to make sure you reset the TPS after fitting the ECU(either with the VDST software or with the dealer), mine was at 2.2 degrees with the new ECU!

All mods with the updated ECU are reversible.

Even though Moto Guzzis have improved enormously over the past couple of years, they still need fettling from a keen owner. If you don't have the mechanical ability or interest, I really think you would be happier with something more mainstream (Honda, Truimph, HD etc). The dealer network for MG is hopeless as are a lot of the dealers. If I couldn't work on my own bike, I definitely would not have bought an MG.

Good luck, it is all part of the Moto Guzzi journey.....

Jason

mr g said:
hi im new to moto guzzi just got a new 2008 breva 1200 sport what is this bike suppose to run like when you shift or slow down it has a terrible popping from exhaust like an exhaust leak also when its sitting idleing it has a skip/cough every once in awhile checked for leaks made sure all is tight...only 600 mi dealer in georgia told me thats the way it runs im not happy ..maby ill try fast trixx in tallahassee see what they tell me how do the other sports run ?? not like mine i hope .feel like pushing it to the corner of garage an leaving it there.....mr g

Unfortunately mr g not all dealers are created equal when it comes to setup for these bikes.

I'll allow that there is some popping on the overun, mine wasn't bad in the beginning but got worse as the bike broke in. I haven't experienced the skip/cough at idle so don't know what to tell you about that.

I can tell you that I had running issues when I first got mine with the bike being hard to start after sitting out in the sun for any amount of time. Since I live in AZ this was an issue. I found that the gas tank was getting pressurized so I removed the emission cannister from under the rear portion of the seat and re-plumbed the hoses that went to it. Once I did that all starting issues went away.

I've since installed the stepper motor bypass switch, it did a good job of lessening the exhaust popping but I felt it made the bike idle too low. Next time I have the tank off I may just remove it.

After that I went with the ECU reprogram from Todd, that made a huge difference in the performace of the bike. Later yet I went with the full PC-V upgrade and got a similar increase in performance.

But you don't need to throw a bunch of money at your bike right off the bat. Try the easy (free) stuff first. I have no idea if your dealer is good or bad but since I've purchased my 1200 Sport it hasn't seen the inside of the dealership anyway.

Far be it for me to advise someone to remove important emission equipment but try disconnecting the canister. Make sure that you have no exhaust leaks. Make sure your throttle bodies are in adjustment (keeping in mind that any actual adjustment may require you to have your throttle position sensor to be reset). Check your valve clearances.

If you lived closer I'd just tell you to come over and we'd get it sorted. As it is I think you'd have to budget a weekend and the only place I have to put you up is a Winnebago that's parked on a slant.

Don't get too distraught, these are good bikes but some need a little bit of attention from the owner to live up to their potential. Thank goodness for Guzzitech for coming up with all these gadgets and services to make it all happen.

Wouldn't the O2 Optimizer help with the decel popping? Seems to me it would, if the stepper motor causes a lean mix that causes the popping?

Rafael said:
Wouldn't the O2 Optimizer help with the decel popping? Seems to me it would, if the stepper motor causes a lean mix that causes the popping?

It might,

I've found that every change I've made has reduced the popping, for a while. Eventually a measure of popping comes back. Maybe my brain tells me the popping disappears immediately because I've just done the work or maybe I just become sensitized to the popping later on.

I can say that the popping has greatly decreased from its most obnoxious height but I still get a bit, it's just not as bothersome.

I still maintain that 90% of all the problems associated with 'Popping' on the over-run stem from either poor set up or the replacement of the stock silencer with something a lot more free flowing, usually without a cat, and no fueling modifications having been undertaken.

In all honesty though my first suggestion would be to check to see if it is set up right. Check the air bleed screws. If they are both open then the bike is obviously tuned wrong and its time to take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Pete

Back