• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suspension settings

Perhaps I should start a new string but I'm curious...

What are your suspension settings up front?

Stock to the owners manual or have you found any "secret" settings (rider weight 200lbs).

Thanks

Rick

i found the stock settings a bit harsh on my NTX and backed off the compression damping two clicks. This has made the bike more comfortable and more stable over the rough, rutted terrain we call 'roads' in the UK. Better weight transfer on the brakes too, not a chatter from the ABS since the tweak. Everything else at the front is standard. The rear is two clicks up on damping with the preload up to about 80%, I'm 6'2" and 225lbs.

Thanks Bisonhead. When I fixed the front fort seal leak on my Stelvio I went ahead and changed the fork oil to 10 WT instead of the recommended 7 WT. I've set the front up to 7 turns on the preload (both) and 1.5 Compression with 2.0 on Rebound. The rear I set to the standard settings for Medum.

At this point the rear feels a bit harsh but the front feels a bit soft. I'm planning on putting the bike on the lift and do a full "analysis" of sage, etc.

My suspicion is the front will need more preload and the rear may need less rebound.

Still playing with the setup and the new NTX rear wheel. Only ~19,000 miles so far, so all is getting broken in!

Rick

Re: Re:Suspension settings

FrostBittenCanadian said:
...... But tell me how did you get at the dampening adjustment on the rear shock as it seems to be pretty much blocked by the lower linkage on the Stelvio with the bikes weight on the rear wheel or with no weight on the rear (on centerstand). ......
FBC

Put the bike on the sidestand and decrease the suspension to zero, pull down just a little bit on the saddle while you adjust the screw

or

Put a (heavy) assistant on the saddle

FrostBittenCanadian said:
Leif ,I figured out a way ages ago. Moot point now as I have a YSS installed on the back end.
FBC

Maybe others have not?

Else: ;-)

Lofty1956 said:
Have a browse thru this site promecha.com there's. a mine of good info on suspension setup.
Lofty

Thank for the link Lofty ......

I still have the original Sach suspension on the Stelvio and decided to do the math. :geek:
The norm speculates that rider's sag for (dirt is 33%) and for (road should be 25% to 33%) of total wheel travel.
- With no passenger I got approx. 19%
- With 220 lb (1 passenger) in the preload soft position 58%
- With 220 lb (1 passenger) in the preload hard position I got 45% this tells me right off that the suspension is definitely not set up for me as an average Italian!! :lol:

- With 380 lb (2 passengers) in the preload soft position 71%
- With 380 lb (2 passengers) in the preload hard position 58%

Gonna have to add "suspension" to my wish list!!!!! (CRAP!!)

Well, settings seem to be settling in OR I'm getting used to them. I'm still hankerin' (Southern US talk for wanting) for a set of Ohlin's type shocks to go on my Stelvio but... In the mean time... I'm likin' (Southern US talk for liking) the way it's ridin' (you get the picture) right now!

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions!

Back