• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

More Griso 8V Ruminations

mojohand

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Still thinking hard about the Griso 8V that Steelhorse has for discounted sale. Some thoughts...

1. Luggage: I like the C-Bow mounts for the Hepco-Becker 23 liter bags. Wonder how much better they are than the Guzzi ones. I do like the Guzzi ones. And for hard bags, I like the HB 30- or 40-liter ones.
2. Parts: Availability comes to mind. I hear about folks who can't find HB stuff in the US easily.
3. I probably would want the flyspeck windshielf, or perhaps the Givi A770 (?)...but again, availability comes to mind.
4. Use: Though I like that V7 Café Classic, and though I toured > 23K miles on my Breva 750, I'd kinda hate to tour on the Café. Hate to muck it up with bags & such. Better as a day-rider bike. However, I do like sport touring...and it'd be great to have an option when I want to do some ST and the Norge is in for service (or down for something like an oil pump).
5. Range: Little bothered by the < 150-mile range of the gas tank.
6. Affordability: It's a great price, but I also have to personally determine whether I can/should spend the ducats. Oh, and I'm a new-bike kinda guy, not a used bike buyer. Chacun a son gout etc.

Just some random thoughts, is all.

Re: More Griso 8V Ruminations [cross-posted from Wildguzzi]

Lots of posts on this over at Wildguzzi. One thing I didn want to ask here: someone asked if the 2009 engine and the 2011 were the same, that is, someone wrote:

I think the powerband is different on the 2011. From what I have read the early ones have a hit of power at 5 grand and mine has steady power from 3000 on up, no big hit.

I thought I remembered reading here that, with map #68, the 2009 ran evenly, without the 5K power surge. Or..?

My 2009 8v with the latest map (#68s) is smooth as silk throughout the entire rev range. Should be no difference to a 2010 or a 2011 8v.

All the best,

Mark

Get the O2 Optimizer. The bike runs so much smoother at slow speeds. No more herky jerky on/off throttle at sub 45mph. Immediately noticeable.

I'd not heard of the O2 Optimizer, but after reading the thread, I can see it's a must-do enhancement.

I want to confirm the other things that should be done prior to picking up the bike:

1. Confirm the cam update has been done (is there a link to details about that?)
2. Confirm the fuel pump has been updated (wasn't there a recall or warranty issue?--again, any links would help)
3. Seal the speedo sensor (what specific kind of sealant do you use--silicone grease or something else?)
5. Tach housing--drill a small hole to eliminate condensation (or just wait to see if mine fogs up?)
6. Fluids are original 2009...should they be changed before riding, or should I just wait till the first service?

Anything else?

Thanks!

grimace said:
Get the O2 Optimizer. The bike runs so much smoother at slow speeds. No more herky jerky on/off throttle at sub 45mph. Immediately noticeable.

Just ordered it!

In addition, and in the interest of full disclosure...I just gave Steelhorse the thumbs-up, yessirindeedy, go-ahead-and-charge-my-credit-card to sell me the 2009 black Griso. Already have a working name for her: Nera.

Please keep all the hints and suggestions and ideas coming!

mojohand said:
In addition, and in the interest of full disclosure...I just gave Steelhorse the thumbs-up, yessirindeedy, go-ahead-and-charge-my-credit-card to sell me the 2009 black Griso. Already have a working name for her: Nera.

See you at the North Carolina Rally ? with the Greaso ?

Congrats, Tell them to make sure the #68 map is in it and is it subject to the cam tappet recall ?

draidt said:
mojohand said:

See you at the North Carolina Rally ? with the Greaso ?

Congrats, Tell them to make sure the #68 map is in it and is it subject to the cam tappet recall ?

Thanks, Dan, and yes, I think I'd ride the Griso there! I just talked with Mike. He believes that their '09 was outside of the numbers, but he's going to double check.

mojohand said:
In addition, and in the interest of full disclosure...I just gave Steelhorse the thumbs-up, yessirindeedy, go-ahead-and-charge-my-credit-card to sell me the 2009 black Griso.
Best color choice IMHO . . . welcome to our little world o' fun!! Approaching 10K exhilarating miles on my '09 and only issue has been a plug cap replaced under warranty.

CAm PROFILES haven't to the best of my knowledge changed on the A5 motor in the 8VG. What DID change at some point but I BELIEVE 2010 MY machines was when it happened was that the cam design was changed to allow the fittment of shims to limit cam end float.

'09 Model should be beyond the cam/tappet problems but I ALWAYS check anything pre-'10.

Fuel pump hose also shouldn't be an issue, seal the speedo sensor with some sort of varnish just to be on the safe side. Leave the dashboard alone. Fluids will all be fine.

PD is important. As is checking valve clearances regularly early in the engine's life.

My bike has no map modifiers and runs just dandy everywhere. Other machines may of course differ. If it does run a bit odd I suggest checking that only one of the air bleeds is open although its OK for them both to be closed if the TB ballance is correct at idle and above. Once set correctly there is very little that is likely to need to be done WRT the FI. When was the last time you had to have the FI fiddled with on yoyr car? Probably never! Why should your bike be any different???

Pete

Pete[/quote]

Just chuckling over how pampered the Guzzi gets compared to my car the other day after getting my little diesel Euro car "serviced" (oil and filter only - spoit it to Walmart full synth because it was on offer).. now nearly 6 years old, done over 120k miles. Had a cambelt at 72k, few sets of glowplugs and 2 injectors reconditioned at 110K. I've no idea about valve clearances and when enquired at the main dealer when the gearbox oil should be changed was told there is no schedule for it at all...

of course its just a car and it doesn't get under your skin

lead to another thought - I've read quite a bit over recent years about improvements in injector design (moto and car) and thinking back to all the carb fiddling/rejetting/upgrading we all ”enjoyed” in the past I wondered whether a straight injector swap to a more modern design may be worthwhile. Have the bigblock CARC Guzzi injectors ever been updated to keep up with developments?

Art

pete roper said:
When was the last time you had to have the FI fiddled with on yoyr car? Probably never! Why should your bike be any different???
Pete

Just chuckling over how pampered the Guzzi gets compared to my car the other day after getting my little diesel Euro car "serviced" (oil and filter only - spoit it to Walmart full synth because it was on offer).. now nearly 6 years old, done over 120k miles. Had a cambelt at 72k, few sets of glowplugs and 2 injectors reconditioned at 110K. I've no idea about valve clearances and when enquired at the main dealer when the gearbox oil should be changed was told there is no schedule for it at all...

of course its just a car and it doesn't get under your skin

lead to another thought - I've read quite a bit over recent years about improvements in injector design (moto and car) and thinking back to all the carb fiddling/rejetting/upgrading we all ”enjoyed” in the past I wondered whether a straight injector swap to a more modern design may be worthwhile. Have the bigblock CARC Guzzi injectors ever been updated to keep up with developments?

Art

pete roper said:
CAm PROFILES haven't to the best of my knowledge changed on the A5 motor in the 8VG. What DID change at some point but I BELIEVE 2010 MY machines was when it happened was that the cam design was changed to allow the fittment of shims to limit cam end float.

'09 Model should be beyond the cam/tappet problems but I ALWAYS check anything pre-'10.

Fuel pump hose also shouldn't be an issue, seal the speedo sensor with some sort of varnish just to be on the safe side. Leave the dashboard alone. Fluids will all be fine.

PD is important. As is checking valve clearances regularly early in the engine's life.

My bike has no map modifiers and runs just dandy everywhere. Other machines may of course differ. If it does run a bit odd I suggest checking that only one of the air bleeds is open although its OK for them both to be closed if the TB ballance is correct at idle and above. Once set correctly there is very little that is likely to need to be done WRT the FI. When was the last time you had to have the FI fiddled with on yoyr car? Probably never! Why should your bike be any different???

Pete

Thanks for all that, Pete (and glad you made it back home safely, BTW). Checked with the dealer: tappets & cam WERE replaced, so that's cool. As you said, fuel pump's not an issue.

I do have a question of clarification: PD? Whassat? Proper Diet? Police Department (for the tickets I'll likely get)? Promotional Detail? ;)

Also, some folks have mentioned a specific brake pad over the EBCs. Too, any US folks have specific recos on sealant? Is wood varnish the right thing? Grease? Sorry to be such a noooob...

joe

mojohand said:
pete roper said:

Pete

Thanks for all that, Pete (and glad you made it back home safely, BTW). Checked with the dealer: tappets & cam WERE replaced, so that's cool. As you said, fuel pump's not an issue.

I do have a question of clarification: PD? Whassat? Proper Diet? Police Department (for the tickets I'll likely get)? Promotional Detail? ;)

Also, some folks have mentioned a specific brake pad over the EBCs. Too, any US folks have specific recos on sealant? Is wood varnish the right thing? Grease? Sorry to be such a noooob...

joe

PD = Pre Delivery inspection.

Brake pads on Pete's recommendation is EBC EPFA244HH, waiting for them to arrive and they will go on the Griso they are NOT cheap . He also recommends a knock off made in China set of Piazzio levers for better brake feel they are 55 dollars for the pair or so on Ebay and are of very good fit and finish also have them as well.

Back