• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

dead lift

robfran

Tuned and Synch'ed
So the gloss on my 11500k Griso has been unceremoniously rubbed off!
Its winter down here and water has been getting into my speedo, enough for me to park differently at home looking for the driest overhead spot.
So instead of turning the bars towards the left after I double check the side stand is down, I turn them right. I'm sure I double checked the side stand but obviously not. Walked off 10 ft and crash, the baby goes down.
Broken clutch lever took most of it. Scuffed the left head, bent the gear shifter but no panel damage.
An experience in lifting her I'd rather not have again.
I used to be careful about the side stand now I'm paranoid. Oh well, a long relationship has its ups and downs.

Sorry to hear :( It does happen though, every single motorbike Ive ever owned, bar a 1969 Vespa, has had to be picked up at one stage or another.

My first drop with the orange blancmange was caused by a friend deciding to move her in the garage. He overbalanced her, she started to go over away from him, and because he only weighs 10st and has NO bloody experience with motorbikes, she went over. No major damage except for chipping the front part off the underseat panel...

A few months later, I go to Stafford bike show and the morons decide to give the cars hard standing and bikes park on grass. So I am maneouvering to a better spot, let the clutch out gently, she spins up and goes over... on the other side... chipping the same front corner off on the OTHER side...

Ah well, gave me an excuse to buy a new panel, cost over £200 though.

Needless to say, I told my 'buddy' that if he as much as picks a carrier bag up that has a TOY motorbike in, he better put it down gently and apologise!

robfran said:
So the gloss on my 11500k Griso has been unceremoniously rubbed off!
Its winter down here and water has been getting into my speedo,

There is a cure for that. Someone wrote an excellent post on how to take care of water in the instruments, but I can't find it. Fortunately I saved the post to my hard drive and I've created a PDF of what he wrote.

However, I haven't gotten around to doing the procedure yet so If I park outside, I just place a plastic bag over my instrument cluster. Maybe I'll get around to it when it is winter in North America.

Attachments

• instrument_condensation_fix.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 223
The first time i dropped the G it was beacause i had been bussy packing for the vacation and was half asleep as i try'd to put het on the jiffy that was not put out. It was a slow drop and i only scratched the exhoust. managed to get her up again without to much swearing. :evil:

I did it too. Brain dead, I didn't put the stand down :oops:
I'm a short arsed oldie so lifting it knackerd me. Luckily only a busted mirror, but much egg on face.
If you've had to do it you realise what a bloody big lump a Griso is.
Ian (London)

Not me, but my brother after a ride on his RT1200 and feeling a little tired, stepped off his bike without putting down the side stand. Luckily, he slowed the fall by catching it on the way down with only a small scratch to show for it. The neighbor saw the whole thing and helped him right the bike. :oops: :oops:

CORRECT LIFTING METHOD

I was a Postie for 23 years, we use Honda CT110 motorcycles in Australia.
OH&S method for lifting a fallen motorcycle was to turn the front wheel upwards,
so the handle bar on the ground is away from the bike.
Squat, keeping a straight back and use your legs to lift the bike by the handle bar.

Having said that, a CT110 with 25kg of mail on board is still less than a 140kg.
Never had the opportunity to lift a proper bike solo.
Don't intend to fall, to test the theory. ............................ any volunteers.

ghezzi said:
CORRECT LIFTING METHOD

I was a Postie for 23 years, we use Honda CT110 motorcycles in Australia.
OH&S method for lifting a fallen motorcycle was to turn the front wheel upwards,
so the handle bar on the ground is away from the bike.
Squat, keeping a straight back and use your legs to lift the bike by the handle bar.

Having said that, a CT110 with 25kg of mail on board is still less than a 140kg.
Never had the opportunity to lift a proper bike solo.
Don't intend to fall, to test the theory. ............................ any volunteers.

The new CARC bikes have a higher center of gravity (CG). I dropped my 1100 Breva in the middle of nowhere Kansas. Trying to pick it up (yes using the correct method) I got a compression fracture of L3, yes I broke my back. Luckily no nerve impingement, just pain. Now I won't try to lift one alone. The older bikes with a lower CG were easy, the new ones not so.

Bugger! I got a dicky back too.

I'll heed the warning John, if I drop mine I'll wait for help to arrive.

straddle fallen bike, grab handlebars and yank it in the opposite direction of the fall. helps to have a surge of adrenalin. found this out the hard way.

On way to dealer for first service I missed turn onto super-slab, had to do u-turn in old gas station lot. Rolled front wheel onto road skirt that was slightly higher than lot. When I put foot down there was a pocket of loose gravel. Foot slipped just enough for the weight to overcome me. Held it for a few seconds, but had to gently lay it down. Stepped off the Norge and grabbed the handlebar and the left passenger grip. Imagine my surprise when it came right up. Told my cousin later how easy it seemed, he said it was because his friend Don was behind me. Oh well just try not to get her down alone.

Back