• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Faultless foreign foray

mickyvee_2010

Tuned and Synch'ed
:D :D Just got back from an 1800 mile trip around France, on my 8v Griso. Nothing fell off, broke, vibrated loose, stopped working, and the bike is running better than ever! The factory panniers leaked (as I was told they would) and the windscreen worked well. Fuel economy was outstanding (50+ mpg imperial!) but then I was following my wife, who is a very steady rider! All in all, a Griso makes a good tourer then, and is way cooler than a BMW R1200R which a Belgian idiot compared it to! Unfortunately, I saw lots of BMW's, but not a single Griso. Sad and a bit of a mystery. Everyone I met was interested in my bike, and wanted to know more. I told them all to buy one!!!

Shock! Horror!!!! Brand new motorbike behaves faultlessly!!!!! :lol:

Despite the tales of woe that keep appearing on the innerneck I have to say that yours is NOT an unusual story. My great, scruffy, piece of shit also continues to behave faultlessly as do all my customers' bikes and most of the rest of the ones I 'Know About'. Mine is up to 50,000kms now and refuses to go wrong! Sure its as noisy as buggery, it has the un-shimmed cams, but it steadfastly refuses to break!!!

As long as they are sold and serviced by people who care they seem to be pretty much unburstable, And I have a good reputation for bursting things!!!!!

Pete

I ran mine from the north of holland, over the stelvio pass through italy to istria and back again. without any problem. No hickups no parts missing, just a lot of fun. This was a 3000+km journey an all i saw was one blue griso in mandello and a 2 stelvio along the way. I guess not everybody likes the way it looks or is afraid for trouble when buying one.
I don't know where BMW gets the fame for being reliable but the beamers I know of are thirsty on oil and break down just as often as anny other brand.

I've had about half a dozen faultless foreign forays, first on my G11 then the G8v. Griso always attracts a bit of attention on the ferries, mostly admiring and curious, but the majority of fellow travellers seem almost scared to acknowledge it 'coz it's not a BMW GS / sportsbike / Harley "like theirs". The exception was when I boarded and found a group of UK Guzzi riders on the same sailing which made for a very socialable crossing. The only "fault" I've had is the apparent complete ignorance of Moto Guzzi......& that includes the Spanish speed cop who had to ask the make of the bike when he was writing out my 65 euro "souvenir" for 20kph over the limit in a village.

:lol: Yes, there was a Honda Blackbird rider on the ferry, who thought I was "very brave" to attempt a long foreign trip on a Guzzi. "Why?" I asked, only to be regaled with tales of woe involving "mates" who had blown up their Guzzi's, whilst trying to keep up with Jap bikes. When I asked him to elaborate, ie, which model of Guzzi, and what had actually blown up, he was unable to answer. Honda riding tosser! I am sure that it is morons like this, who continue to denegrate the good name of Moto Guzzi, to any idiot who will listen to them, who are responsible for the general idea amongst ordinary "bikers", that Guzzi's are unreliable. Rant over.

It has always been thus. At least in Europe. I know not why. It infects Oz as well. One of the funniest things is that I will often, (Less often nowadays.) stop to assist some bloke on a broken-down shitbox at the side of the road. Sometimes I find a simple problem I can fix with the couple of bent screwdrivers and half-a-rock I carry as a 'Tool Kit'. Sometimes they have to get a tow. Regardless of the 'Result' I am often told by the owners of said broken down shitboxes that I must be either, a.) Very brave. or b.) some sort of 'Master Mechanic' to be able to '*Risk* riding a Moto Guzzi further than the corner shop for a bottle of milk!

HELLO!

Who is the idiot broken down at the side of the road? Who is the idiot offering succour?

Personally I think that the old saying 'Moto Guzzi. Going out of business since 1921' should of long ago been replaced with 'Moto Guzzi. Taking it up the arse from retards with the mechanical aptitude of of a crayfish since not long after 1921!'

I'm sorry. The new bikes are brilliant. The old ones were brilliant to in their day. Times have moved on. The brilliance remains, at least to me. But I own the best 8VG in the world so what would you bunch of philistines know!?!?!?!?! :p :mrgreen:

Pete

mickyvee_2010 said:
:D :D Just got back from an 1800 mile trip around France, on my 8v Griso. Nothing fell off, broke, vibrated loose, stopped working, and the bike is running better than ever! The factory panniers leaked (as I was told they would) and the windscreen worked well. Fuel economy was outstanding (50+ mpg imperial!) but then I was following my wife, who is a very steady rider! All in all, a Griso makes a good tourer then, and is way cooler than a BMW R1200R which a Belgian idiot compared it to! Unfortunately, I saw lots of BMW's, but not a single Griso. Sad and a bit of a mystery. Everyone I met was interested in my bike, and wanted to know more. I told them all to buy one!!!

Brilliant!

Postings like yours, Pete's, and others have moved me into the G12 world (Nera's her name...and her color). I am fitting her out for sport touring as well. Have ordered the Hepco-Becker C-Bow bracket and Street bags. Have a Wolfman Timberwolf tank bag. Use a dry bag for tent & other camp stuff. Need to fit the luggage rack (drilling into the bodywork, Guzzi? Really?) and suss out a lockable case (Caribou Luggage from Boulder, CO, comes to mind).

I'm still waaay new on this bike, but it is my 5th Guzzi ('00 Jackal, '04 B750, '05 B11, '07 Norge, and now '09 G12).

MickyVee...any pictures available of your bike set up for touring? Of your trip?

Great comments, guys!

:S Whilst I am able to post pics on other forums, using the paperclip icon, this site has me stumped! I am a technophobe by nature, and I do not speak computer talk. A step by step guide, in plain English would be very useful!

Put Griso on Eurotunnel, ride around France, come home. What`s the fuss? I have to organise these french forays for some guys I know and work with and they`re anal about breaking down on their jap bikes (one of the guys has a BMW 1200 Rt and has had several recalls/warranty claims). I just ride my bike and suck up the scenery, whilst everyone else wastes their thoughts on "will I make it back?" Off for a short trip to Croix en Tournois soon, for the Caiman moto weekend at the track. Toothbrush... Check. Puncture kit..... Check... Passport.........Check.... Hit it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

To upload images into a note

Click on 'Upload attachment' tab
Click on the 'Choose File' button to select the image from your computer. You'll see the file name appear in the box
Click on the 'Add the file' button to upload to GuzziTech
You'll see a field 'Posted Attachments'
Place your cursor where you want the image to be in your message
Click on the 'Place inline' button

You can post up to five images in a message

:D Here goes my first attempt at posting a pic! Hopefully you will see a pic of my fully loaded G8v ready to set off for foreign climes! Oops. There is a message saying the file is too big! Help!

Here's my Gv8 all bagged up and ready for Europe. Standard Guzzi panniers & tank bag (big & ugly but it does the job) plus a Hein Gericke tank bag used as a tailpack. Enough space for everything I need for 2-3 weeks away. Once I get to my destination I just use the panniers for day trips.

baggedupgriso.jpg

have a 2005 griso .went to 2010colombres ,rode down through france to rally & back no problem you dont need a
bmw gs to tour round europe just class.you can fit the kriegh packs on the back no problem.bike has done 30,000
miles sofar .faults fuel pipe came off in tank after recall,3 speedo sensors ,1 battery.

My pal has suffered two break downs in somewhere around a dozen trips onto mainland Europe on his G11. First time he lost the trip, second time he relayed home and then headed over on my '89 Sportster. I don't think that record is particularly good. I've had a dead battery, blown fuses and weird behaviour from the clocks, but none on one of our trips fortunately. Mechanically I expect the bike to be bullet proof, on ancillaries I'm just waiting for the next thing to fail. I don't feel that way when I head off on my 60k V50.

If you're going to compare the Griso with a Beemer then surely it would be with the discontinued Rockster.

I do not understand the "reliability" issue that haunts Guzzi, here ,at least, they are seen as long runners. Took my G850 for a 3500km (2200miles, for you metric handicapped folks!)trip and I had no doubt! It never crossed my mind that my bike would let me down, and it did not fail me!

Problem that we suffer with my crew is that Our 'main' bikes are used almost exclusively for three or four foreign forays a year. Pretty much the only UK miles they do are getting to and from the ports. Back in the day when you were using the same bike on a day to day basis any failures incurred were likely to be on the commute - no big deal. Now any failure will be happening out on the trip.

Amongst the various Ducatis, BMWs, Triumphs, Triumphs. Bandits and Grisos we've ridden more recently - and of various vintages and mileages, we've had to make various roadside repairs. The only issues that left a bike stranded were both with one of the Grisos.

Once you get to counting down the Summers that might be left to you you kind of begrudge all the more if you lose one of these sojourns through machinery failure.

This was the fourth year running that I have been on a tour in Europe on the Breva 1100. Travelling from England to Italy, it was the best trip yet. This organised tour included 17 bikes, about half of which were BMW's. As usual, the Breva, ran perfectly for the 2,800 miles. The other riders, including the BMW owners, were a really decent, helpful bunch - and a brilliant laugh too!
Mick.

well as this is the Bellgaio section as well... I can add my bella is rock solid in almost 20k kms - no hiccups at all, nil, nada, zilch and no hesitation in taking her 'round Australia tomorrow.. Same goes for my 30 y/o tonti :lol:

Back