• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

ETHANOL Problem ?

motoguzziman

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Having read about a lot of problems, on US / Canadian Motorcycle sites, is there an issue with this in Europe ?
OK piccys will have to wait, due to the sun , just now, BUT , my fuel tank has 2 " Pimples " growing on it.
is this due to ethanol ?

Bubble2.jpg

Bubble.jpg

OK, to Clarify, the lower obvious "Pimple " looks like it is in 2 parts, the smaller " pimple" is about 2 cm above & slightly to the right of the big one.

I heard that Ducati ended up with a big US court case, due to "Supposed" ethanol distorting their plastic fuel tanks.
Also the US marine industry has reported problems caused by ethanol in fuel tanks and outboards.

http://www2.highlandstoday.com/content/2008/jun/22/problem-ethanol/

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/14/37/lang,en/

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//con...5/202/lang,en/

Anyone " In The Know ? "

As soon as I can, I will add Piccy of what is happening to my fuel tank.

Take Care Out There

My tank has done the same. I have a few more pimples than you. I couldn't tell you what's causing the problems though. Luckily, the paint has held up.

From what year is that Breva 750? From what I know, the official Piaggio position is that all their 'recent' bikes are compatible with E10, that is, with up to 10% ethanol fuel. However, most of us here in France where the government has decided to be 'proactive' in the introduction of that stuff avoid it whenever we can, rather going for SP98 than for SP95-E10.

OTOH, I know that such a choice isn't (always) an option in the US, and that yours is not the only Breva 750 ... so I'd rather see what other US owners have to say about the subject!

Will said:
You can download a pdf of the UK government's research report into ethanol problems here:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/publications/qinetiq-10-02471/
The list of affected materials makes worrying reading!

Doesn't say much on any Italian brand, but you will find this list as quoted:

The UK Motor Cycle Industry Association and manufacturers and importers of powered two wheelers into the UK have been contacted to elicit their views on ethanol in petrol, specifically regarding material compatibility and carburettor icing [95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106]. The following is a summary of the information received:

Triumph, all Triumph motorcycles have been compatible with E10 since at least 1994. From 1993 to 2008 nylon moulded fuel tanks were employed but due to vapour permeability concerns a switch back to steel tanks was made [96].

BMW. BMW motorcycles have been E10 compatible for at least twenty years [107].

Harley-Davidson. All motorcycles have been E10 compatible since the 90s [108].

Kawasaki. Kawasaki Heavy Industries are still considering the effects of E10 and do not recommend its use [109].

KTM. All models from 2000 are compatible with E10 [110].

Yamaha. All models are compatible with E5 and some new models are compatible with E10 [111].

Suzuki. All models have been compatible with E10 since 2005 [112].

Honda. All models have been compatible with E10 since 1993 but carburettored vehicles could suffer poor drivability [164, 165].
One manufacturer has not responded.

We've got the E5 for years and have no options AFAK, I haven't had any problems with the Breva.
Cars fueled by E85 are common here, but it is known that you'd have to change fuel hoses on older cars, if E 85 are used.
By a brief reading of the report, it seems like E10 would mostly affect pre-2000 vehicles.

When I started working on the pinging problems with my 07 B11, one of the things I did was to use a country gas station that sold non-ethanol fuel. The non-ethanol fuel combined with Todd's ECU reflash, PCV, and autotune minimized my pinging. I had to work hard to get the bike to ping.

Now, if I went on a longer ride and fueled with E10, pinging issues were more prevalent once the motor warmed up. Recently, I started having more frequent pinging problems. I checked my autotune AFR and saw an across the board requirement for a richer mixture. I found that odd, but accepted the adjustment. I went to my country gas station and mentioned this to the attendant who begrudgingly pointed to a new sticker on the pump that showed they were now selling E10. According to the attendant, the state had forced them to switch. When I asked when they had switched to E10, the date coincided with my last fill up.

So, I associate ethanol with my pinging problems. And it looks like my options for non-ethanol fuel within a reasonable distance from my house have been eliminated. I am stuck with ethanol, the pinging, and a spreading zit breakout on my tank.

I'm sceptical about those manufacturers claims their bikes are ethanol proof. OK they might not be using the various grades of plastics & rubbers that are affected but they are all still using the metals that are affected by galvanic corrosion as described in the research report. This might not be the 'instant' problem that they would have had with the non-metals but a few years down the line galvanic corrosion could be a problem and the only solution will be replacement parts if they're available. Maybe the makers just consider it a bit more profitable inbuilt obsolesence and that no one would ever want to run an older bike or preserve it for posterity.

Most manufacturers today are being owned by golden boys steered Pirate Funds institutions.
Their God is only one: Money.
They want us to buy more over time - a 100 000 + kms bike is no good for them - we must buy more often.
Even if the manufacturer executives are ok guys, their bosses, these despicable Funds institutions will force on us design obsoletion every way they can, usually disguised in some "environmental" camouflage, through their political employees and their brainwashing public media guys.
Engine corrosion is going to have political causes.
I hope some ethanol riding Brazilian reader can say there is no real corrosion fear and calm us down.

Well, I hope we'll be fine in 10-15 years time to talk about how wrong our fears have been:
No way we can practically avoid alcohol in our engines - the dice has been casted (proper english I hope) so just strawl along and see what comes our way.

RJVB said:
From what year is that Breva 750? From what I know, the official Piaggio position is that all their 'recent' bikes are compatible with E10, that is, with up to 10% ethanol fuel. However, most of us here in France where the government has decided to be 'proactive' in the introduction of that stuff avoid it whenever we can, rather going for SP98 than for SP95-E10.

OTOH, I know that such a choice isn't (always) an option in the US, and that yours is not the only Breva 750 ... so I'd rather see what other US owners have to say about the subject!

Hi Mate.
It is a 2006 model !
Now could you, in EASILY UNDERSTANDABLE terms,explain what the difference is, between SP 98 and SP 95 - E 10 ? :woohoo:

Take Care Out There.

Thanks, Peter. Mea culpa, I forgot that SP (sans plomb, sans e ;) ) is a french designation. The corresponding MON numbers are 85 and 87 respectively, if those mean more to some here.

To add the "e" is a grave error, acute even.

Not sure about MON but RON is Research Octane Number which I think is the standard in the US.

And E85 is 85% ethanol

Back