• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2009 Griso 8V rear main seal

pete roper said:
The seat around the oil feed dowel where the o-ring sits in the flange needs to be machined to a depth of 1.5mm to prevent damage to the o-ring and the length of the two bottom bolts checked when installed. If they protrude more than 8mm of thread shorter bolts should be used to retain the flange.

Pete

The one that is circled in blue?

Phang

cranksupportflange.jpg

Thanks Phang for gettin' back to the subject & for the picture. It makes it all that much clearer.
You guys are great! & of course there is Pete, the wealth of info!!

I an NOT a 'wealth of info'. All I am is someone who actually reads, uses and interprets the factory supplied information. For what its worth I have a memory like a sieve for most things but technical minutae, if they interest me, tend to stik for some reason.

ALL the information I disemminate is READILLY AVAILABLE to dealers and service agents world-wide. All it takes is the abillity to take the time and bother to pull up the 'Servicemotoguzzi' site once a week and READ the information therein! Yes, I'm sure it is terribly un-cool and old fashioned and if Guzzi/Piaggio had any class it would all be some sort of 'Ap', (Is that the term?) accessible on an i-phone. That wouldn't help anyone though if they were a clueless, unskilled oxygen thief to start off with though :roll: .

One thing I DO find a bit of a shit though is that when I do try and clarify things and I must add sometimes spend considerable time prying information from people who just want to winge and 'Blame Guzzi' and then responding by posting ACCURATE information and identifying what their problem may be there is rarely any acknowledgement that the original 'Winge' may of been wrong! I like contributing to bulletin boards and trying to keep people abreast of any issues and help solve them if I can. I'm NOT looking for thanks or publicity. BUT it would be really nice if just sometimes someone like Mr. Katacrak who has issues with his bike actually said "Boy? It looks like maybe someone else dropped the ball and maybe it isn't the actual product that is terrible at all!" 'Cos it sound to me very like the failures that are now being experienced are entirely avoidable and are not the result of any 'Poor Design' fault at all.

But what would I know? I'm just some idiot who works out of a shed in outback Australia. The fact my, and my customers 8V's , run seemingly faultlesslyis, I suppose, neaither here nor there. :angry: :roll: :p

Pete

;) Hey Pete, don't beat yourself up! I'm sure that the vast majority of forum members value your insights most highly. You certainly put my mind at rest re: the tappet recall debacle. Just knowing that you are a few keyboard taps away, gives me peace of mind. My own personal take is that a very small group of Guzzi owners can make an awful lot of noise, and, as we all know, bad news travels fast. For my own part, my 8v is, so far, totally trouble free. Long may this situation prevail!

Shit! Is it so difficult to grasp? It's not about ME! It IS about something that I feel passionate about and has been a HUGE source of enjoyment, and a LIVING for me for most of my adult life. I could embark on a long, fruitless and very BORING diatribe about why I'm fond of Guzzi from more than an engineering standpoint. I could also slam my dick in a door for half an hour. Both would be equally painfull and unexciting so I won't bother but the whole point I'm continually trying to make, (More dick/doorslamming in order.) is that on the 'Engineering' level there is no real 'Elephant in the Corner'. It's all, if not brilliant, at least as good as any other manufacturer.

Yes. Mistakes are made. They are, on the whole, addressed. Those that aren't addressed adequately are usually 'Addressable' by the owner for less than the cost of leaving the bike at the shop and the bandwidth spent whining on the innerneck. Fuck? Doesn't anybody have 'A Life' or even more important have to 'WORK' for a living nowadays? I wouldn't of had time for this shit when I was young, poor and full of juice. I would of just got on and fixed it!!!! It's not THAT hard!!! The fact that I can fix shit is living proof of that!

Pete

Pete,
I sent your first post along with Phangs to my dealer expecting him to be pissed off about it & just the opposite happened. He agreed with you guys & seem to give me a little credit for searching. I worked on bikes in the 70s & 80s but the last 25 years, just my own stuff. I usually don't let them know I have "any knowledge" at all & that's how I find out if they have any themselves. Most I deal with do but back in '82 I caught one bad dealer. It was funny!!

Don, as far as I'm concerned that's great! Using the innerneck ISN'T, at least in my book, anything to do with 'Proving people wrong'. As far as I'm concerned there is far too much adversorial shit in the world and not nearly enough co-operation!

I do find it frustrating that so many seemingly *simple* things are missed, especially when they are clearaly displayed for the people who matter but if ACCURATE info can be made available for ANYBODY, end user or dealer, who otherwise may of missed something the end result is happier customers and more bikes sold. That I'm sure is a result we'd all like to see.

if your dealer has any other questions or would like me to fax/scan/email the relevant info to him let me know. The info on the flange mod was given to me in a training course and isn't yet up on the servicemotoguzzi site.

Pete

Pete, no wonder I couldn’t find it in the service/technical bulletins.

Can you tell us more on the o-ring groove modification?

Is there already an existing o-ring groove on the flange?

1.5mm is the new depth (a=1.5mm) or additional 1.5mm to the existing groove (if any)?

Thanks.

Phang

Rectangular_groove_O_ring.jpg

Sorry to jump into this Griso thread but I have a Stelvio with the same oil leak problem. Yesterday I took my oil leak to the local dealer in Worcester (UK) and he confirmed the main oil seal. Since I posted on the 16th the leak has increased a bit but the bike's still rideable.

Look at this thread this on the Stelvio forum:
https://www.guzzitech.com/component/jm ... html?f=190

...which confirms to me that this is all due to a manufacturing fault and therefore Guzzi should contribute to the repair at the very least. But the more I read, the more I think it should be a recall. Pete Roper, whose posts I revere, mentioned that Guzzi had acknowledged a fault on early A5s. Mine's A5-13108, and so far I don't know if it's one of the ones Guzzi mention. But it seems to me to be a potential problem with all A5 eight valvers. Am I too hopeful, Pete, Campagman et al?

I had a 12000 mile service in April (tho' only 11k on the clock as the last service was early - complicated story...) and also had to have the throttle bodies cleaned and reamed out following contamination by the engine breather pipe as the airbox end. All this cost a shedload, and I'm facing many hundreds again.

However, having spent the last few days and weeks agonising about carrying on with the Stelvio, and having blagged rides on several other bikes (like VFR 1200 Honda, Harley Street Glide, Yamaha Super Tenere...) and also having ridden the new NTX as well, I can honestly say that nothing floats my boat like my own Stelvio. So even if Mandello won't accept any responsibility for their error (which is all too likely!), I'll still pay up and get mine fixed.

As a friend with a Ducati 916 says, "you don't just own an Italian bike, you are in a relationship with it!"

Off topic: notasweetman, your view on NTX vs Super Tenere vs your Stelvio would be interesting enough to deserve its own thread.

Im think if you have a good dealer that backs you up that Guzzi will cover ir because it's been an on going problem.
I just made it under the warranty by 90 minutes!! Call on a Saturday nite after they closed until Tuesday. Good luck!

notasweetman said:
As a friend with a Ducati 916 says, "you don't just own an Italian bike, you are in a relationship with it!"

The rest of the aphorism is "..and one day, for no reason at all, it will stab you."

Back