• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

removing rear wheel without factory stand

grimace

Tuned and Synch'ed
So I picked up a puncture and need a new tire. Rear wheel removal looks straight forward. Looks like remove exhaust, remove wheel bolt cover, undue bolts and remove wheel? Problem is I don't have the factory work stand. I do have one of the craftsmen style motorcycle lifts. Has anyone ever used one of these to remove the rear wheel? Pic?
this is the kind I have but don't know if it will work on the guzzi griso.
image_11303.jpg

went out and played around with the jack. If I put it under the oil pan it just lifts the front. If I put it just under the rear brake mounting point it lifts the rear wheel just enough for removal and front wheel and side stand are touching ground. Another spot was under the rear shock, a little wobbly there but front wheel and side stand on the ground. Are these points sturdy enough? Just got replacing the side where the mount point for rear brake and it is pricey. Thoughts?

I tried a similar bike lift with my Griso and it doesn't work for removing the rear wheel. The centre of gravity is too far back so with the lift under the sump only the front wheel comes off the ground. I used a trolley jack under the rear shock instead. That worked fine but I did loosen the wheel & caliper bolts before jacking it up and let it down again before torquing them up. As it is a bit wobbly I hang the bike with a ratchet strap over a roof beam in the garage for extra security.

I have an Termi muffler & it doesn't have to be removed. Put it on before I had to changer the rear tire. Does the stock muffler have to be removed to pull the rear wheel?

I am still running on stock tires/tyres.

It looks like I can just tilt the wheel a little and roll it out from the rear :mrgreen:

PDSCN6612.jpg

Hi grimace, I came across this photo posted by "uncle" in wildguzzi forum.

grisolift.jpg

grimace said:
Thanks for the pic. I do have one of those car jacks lying around too.

I hope you noticed the front wheel chock. I wouldn't jack it up like that without one.

Hi,

like G12 colleague Phang, I use a Becker-Technik stand.
I have no picture of my G 12 without wheels, sorry.
I have recently (last week) put a new set of tires onto my G12.
Like on the picture, I use that Becker stand + a mechanical jack under the engine to lift the wheels.
(there is always a very, very tiny risc using hydraulics...)
It was no problem at all to remove my wheels.
of course, I did this inside my garage... not in my garden...
What you can't see on the picture is the rear wheel guard (hugger) on my bike... still no problem.

Ad B

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 1,015
:D I took my G12 to the dealer last week for a new tyre, and I watched how they did it. They used a purpose built jack that lifted the rear wheel up. I think it mounted near the footpegs, though I didn't really take much notice. Sorry. Anyway, the wheel came out with the (stock) silencer still in place. I did notice a complete lack of any grease on the bolts, or inside the hub. It's got some in there now though! Oh, and the caliper has to be removed as well!

Why would you put grease on the hub or bolts? Do you grease the studs and hubs of your car's wheels?Sounds like a recipe for a loose wheel with a slippery tyre to me.

Pete

Don't remove the muffler unless you have to. The gasket that goes in the muffler & over the pipe is made out of a leaded type material & is easy to damage & also cost over $30(US)to replace! Mine got damaged getting it out of the stock muffler to put into the Termi.

pete roper said:
Why would you put grease on the hub or bolts? Do you grease the studs and hubs of your car's wheels?Sounds like a recipe for a loose wheel with a slippery tyre to me.

Pete

I realized there are two camps of thought when it comes to wheel bolts greasing. One who swear by keeping them lubed and the other install them dry.

I use torque wrench to fasten wheel bolts and I believe greasing the bolts will result in over torquing
shrug.gif

Phang

Hi,
Phang said:
I use torque wrench to fasten wheel bolts and I believe greasing the bolts will result in over torquing

Phang
I think that's incorrect.
Without a tiny layer of grease it's possible that the bolt stops turning too early, because you need the power to turn bare metal to bare metal.
With a bit of grease bolts won't come loose by itself. Dirty bolts will.
With a bit of grease, the bolts won't corrode, it's easier to take them apart again.
It's possible non greased bolts can corrode, can get difficult to take them out with the possibility that they will break.

Other example, our car...
The first time I did a change for wheels with winter tires, I couldn't get the alloy wheels with summer tires of the hub. Corrosion.
I was fighting and hammering (!!) for over an hour to get them of. So I use a tiny layer of grease.
Now it's a 15 minutes job :whistle: .

I'm a "greasy" boy for over 35 years and oké, my Harley díd remove a few bolts of its own.
But "non greasy" friends needed lots of new fasteners... and lost parts...
And I don't use much...
One pot ( 500gr) of normal grease (bearings, axels, ...) 5 to 10 years.
Tube (70 gr) copper grease (bolts, hot things, ...) I think, 10 years.

Ad B

Clicker type torque wrenches are tripped by the reaction torque generated by friction of the fastener.

Torque figures in service manual always referring to dry fastener unless otherwise specified.

A lubed fastener will generated less friction and trips a clicker type torque wrench at a higher clamping force.

I think in most cases, lubing the fasteners, especially when the lubricant is used sparingly, will not do any harm as the slight over torquing fastener still remain within the margins of the fastener and the parts that it hold together.

Some fasteners are stretched very close to the elastic limit, e.g. a mere 33% over torquing had deformed the wheel bolt of this BMW motorcycle.

DSCN23611.jpg

I am a paranoid person, I replaced the wheel bolts of my BMW R1150R (bought it used) with new bolts when I found traces of anti seize on them :mrgreen:

Old bolts
wheelbolts.jpg

New bolts
DSCN5761.jpg

Phang

Just got it all buttoned up. Came off pretty easily. Used the smaller car jack under the swingarm to the right of the rear shock, side stand and front tire as balancing points. had to deflate tire to get it under the rear fender, later I cut off the tip of the fender for reinstall. Took off the rear caliper to make it easier to align when mounting thee wheel. Only slightly harder to take off than a car wheel, love not having a chain on this bike!

Attachments

• stand.jpeg
    stand.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 544
Back