• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

griso 850/1100-buyers guide

Griso771

Just got it firing!
Hi everybody!

I am currently looking into buying a griso 850/1100 or breva 850/1100. I have been looking into your posts and seen that there have been some issues regarding Griso.

To get a complete overview I am grateful if you can tell me what I should check up on a potentiell Griso?

Is there any warranty jobs that I should be certain that it has been done or software updates?

From which year on is most of the Griso:s problem solved by the company?

Well the same goes with the Breva.

Best regards,

Griso771

The fuel pump/filter/hose assembly is not good from the factory, there is a service bulletin out on that. Most have had it done I think by now. It seems the 850 is the best sorted from the factory(P.Ropers words) and the one I owned had no issues what so ever. They are mostly bulletproof.
I tested both the 1100 and the 850 before my purchase and I ended up with the 850 because of its revvier engine. It gets a bit buissy in higway speeds but I drove it for five straight hours at 6000rpm and it is smooth and just likes it it seems! :D

At what speed did your 850 show 6000 rpm?

Is the fuel pump/filter/hose the only issue with the griso?

//griso771

Guzzistaracing said:
The fuel pump/filter/hose assembly is not good from the factory, there is a service bulletin out on that. Most have had it done I think by now. It seems the 850 is the best sorted from the factory(P.Ropers words) and the one I owned had no issues what so ever. They are mostly bulletproof.
I tested both the 1100 and the 850 before my purchase and I ended up with the 850 because of its revvier engine. It gets a bit buissy in higway speeds but I drove it for five straight hours at 6000rpm and it is smooth and just likes it it seems! :D

Early 1100's may also have been affected by the poor bearing in the early CARC's. Speedo sensors can also give occasional problems if they get wet. New sensors apparently cure the problem but sealing the original will also fix it. Misting dashboards can also occur.

All 850/1100's are now over 2 years old so unless you get one that is NOS or was only sold recently warranty is a non issue.

Generally all the Grisos are pretty bomb proof.

Pete

Carc is it the shaft drive system? From which model is the carc-problem solved?

The dashboard problem is it easy to solve? Can it be repaired? I read a post that mentioned something about drilling holes in the dashboard to reduce moisters in the dashboard.

Models from 2008 and on should be quite safe buy? I guess by then most of it's issues was solved by the moto guzzi company?

// griso771

Griso771 said:
At what speed did your 850 show 6000 rpm?

Is the fuel pump/filter/hose the only issue with the griso?

//griso771

If I remember it correctly it showes something like 150kmh(94mph), did this one early morning from the southern tip of Sweden to the Norwegian border. It redlines out(8300rpm)at 185kmh(116mph).(GPS verified) About the pump/filter/hose it should be sorted on all bikes by now. Watch out if you get one that has been sitting on a shop floor.

its just an aesthetic thing but the 850 does not have the oil cooler hanging off the side - which to my mind looks better... YMMV and there is plenty of grunt in an 850 too
"its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow..."
:lol:

29014_0_1_2_griso%20850_Image%20credits%20-%20Moto%20Guzzi.jpg

24718_0_1_2_griso%201100_Image%20credits%20-%20Moto%20Guzzi.jpg

Well, Iam interested of a griso from 2007. I hope most its issues is sorted out by 2007 years model.

// griso771

I started this thread a while a go but due to that I have losted my login code I have registered a new user name.

Pete, you guessed right I currently drive a honda cbf 500.

To the issue. I have recently had the opportunelty to test drive moto guzzi bikes. I drove a moto guzzi classic v7 cafe and the griso 1200 with green paint. Both of this bikes where demo bikes. When I drove the classic v7, I could not get it into first gear. Sometimes it worked and sometimes not. Is that a common guzzi problem? The griso was a lovely ride but also the griso hesitated sometimes when I tried to put in first gear. In general I liked the griso but I felt that the clutch was hard to pull and for beeing a big bike the fuel thank was to small. How is the fuel milage on griso 1200? The answers that I founded when I googled it says 0.83 litre/10 km. Is it really that much?

How is the breva 1200 compared to griso 1200?

When was ABS introduced on moto guzzi bikes?

//griso1979

Not sure if your taking the piss.
There have been a few people of late on this forum who seem to have taken a few liberties with the apparent goal to shitcan the Guzzi brand but I will treat your questions as genuine.
Apologies if I have misread the mood.
Never had a problem selecting gears on either model when the clutch lever/master cylinder has been adjusted correctly, neither of the bikes you tested would seem to be representative of the model. Maybe the dealer or owners should maintain their bikes a little better.
The Griso clutch is a bit heavy but you get used to it or take some remedial action as outlined on some threads on this forum, personally I don't find it a deal breaker but then again I think my Griso is a great bike.
Fuel consumption ? I have never heard of any instance where a 1200 Griso has used anywhere near 8.3 litres per 100kms.
Maybe if you were thrashing it at a race meeting you might use those levels of fuel or worse. In my 25,000 km I have ranged between 5.0 to 6.2 litres per 100 kms from steady cruising to flogging it when heavily loaded.
Most commonly I average between 5.4 to 5.7 per 100 which I think is great economy for a bike of this capacity and size. It would be nice to have a couple of extra litres but I have never had a problem riding in country Australia where fuel can sometimes be a bit sparse.
Not trying to be a smartarse but Guzzi's aren't for everyone. If you want something really refined and bland like whitegoods, then a Japanese bike might be a better option. That is not a criticism of Jap bikes and I have had a few which were fantastic and enjoyable machines but none have given me that extra little buzz that I get from a Moto Guzzi.
Guzzi's require a little more commitment from their owners but if my experience is indicative, the rewards are worth that extra effort.
Mark

No Sir, I was not taking a piss. We are all bikers. I don't care what kind of bikes people rides. I liked thre Griso but the avablility of spareparts and mechanics are not that great here in Sweden. The closes dealer is located 200 km from my town. I really liked the Griso and specially the green color of it.

Is the breva 1200 only a remapped Griso engine ? Looking to the specification it seem's that it suits me fine with large fuel tank.

I am just trying to avoide buying a bike that spend most of it time in a workshop. My honda which I have owned since it was new has currently 48000 km on the clock without any hassle.

Is there any high milage Griso on the forum?

I really want to test ride a 1100 Griso and need to find a local dealer with a unit in stock that offers rides. I currently have a KTM 990 Adventure that plan on keeping and a 2006 ZX-14 set up for drag racing that I thinking of selling. Just don't enjoy going to the track and sitting for 4 hours to get in 4 passes! I have found it is much more fun to go fast on a slow bike that slow on a fast bike.
The reasons for wanting Griso:
Test drove a Norge and really enjoyed the engine.
I love the looks of the bike.
My wife has a Vespa 300 scooter and we look like Mutt and Jeff when I am on the KTM.
Like naked bikes.
I spoke with the guys at AF1 Racing and they all seem to feel the Griso is their favorite bike to ride, it just has so much character.
Does the Griso fit the bill?
How about any dealer in NE Ohio that have in stock and offer rides?

Back