• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

First Post - First Guzzi - Used Bike Question

ward

Just got it firing!
I've owned a number of bikes over the years, but have never had the chance to buy a Guzzi.
I found one locally in rough shape and might consider getting it given your input.
Here is the link: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... earch=guzi

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so the condition doesn't scare me.
As with most restorations, you'll spend more $$ then you'll get back, but I enjoy the process.
I've heard / read good things about the dependability of Guzzi's in general. Does that apply to only specific years or is it generally the case with all models?

Thanks in advance for helping to identify the bike and letting me know if it's worth my time.

Ward

Welcome. I am not much for identifying Moto Guzzi models, but, FWIW, my understanding is that they are generally very reliable, once you have sorted a few of their quirks. Since you will be doing a complete resto, there will be both time and opportunity to learn of that bike's quirks and apply the fixes, which are fairly well-documented.

As for whether it will be worth your time, I say, go for it. First, you can probably sell the Honda and get back your $400, so the Guzzi will essentially be free. Second, you'll likely enjoy the experience of fixing up the Guzzi, and even more, riding it and showing it off when you are done. Third, since the seller says he was thinking of turning the Guzzi into a chopper, you would be doing a public service by getting that bike away from him!

It depends which Guzzi is included. Depending on age/model/condition it may not be worth the effort. If you can tell us which Guzzi it is (I couldn't find that in the advertisement) let us know and we may be able to give you some insight.

Sorry about that, the add doesn't say what type of bike and the seller doesn't know either. There are some pictures listed in the add that show up after clicking on the main picture.

ward said:
Sorry about that, the add doesn't say what type of bike and the seller doesn't know either. There are some pictures listed in the add that show up after clicking on the main picture.

OK, it looks like a Frankenstein bike with a G5 engine (round fin engine as opposed to a square fine engine), frame and tail light, with a California II front end. Could be worth playing with but will probably take a great deal of time and money to get it in good condition. As with any old bike, you will need to do a complete tear down (and I do mean everything) then bring it back together replacing any suspect components. Good thing is probably everything thing you will need is available.

Back