• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Do I own a real Guzzi

Yes, lots. It's just that they are my passion and as they evolve I like to stay at the rather blunt cutting edge of problems that may or may not aflict them. I'm nothing special. I'm just a mechanic. any mechanic can rebuild a Guzzi, even the complex ones are 'Nuts and bolts'. all I offer is a compendium of life experiences and fascination with the marque.

In some instances I may well be wrong. Don't take anything I say as 'Gospel'. But I'd also suggest that anything I say should be looked at and analysed in a thorough and scientific way. Most likely you'll find that observable, repeatable proof of my bleatings is available.

Motorbikes AREN'T magic. They are machinery. A bit less 'Gazing in wonder' and a bit more thinking and finding out goes a long way.

Pete

pete roper said:
Yes, lots. It's just that they are my passion and as they evolve I like to stay at the rather blunt cutting edge of problems that may or may not aflict them. I'm nothing special. I'm just a mechanic. any mechanic can rebuild a Guzzi, even the complex ones are 'Nuts and bolts'. all I offer is a compendium of life experiences and fascination with the marque.

In some instances I may well be wrong. Don't take anything I say as 'Gospel'. But I'd also suggest that anything I say should be looked at and analysed in a thorough and scientific way. Most likely you'll find that observable, repeatable proof of my bleatings is available.

Motorbikes AREN'T magic. They are machinery. A bit less 'Gazing in wonder' and a bit more thinking and finding out goes a long way.

Pete

Very true Peter, I am not a mechanic but I have successfully rebuilt motorcycles ( they ran after I rebuilt them) , but you are too modest you ability to remember details about everything and quickly diagnose symptoms is uncanny.
And most importantly you share

Great bike, true Guzzi!!
so good i bought one myself #0907 .

as time goes by, new guzzi's turn into older Guzzi's and still have their charmes.
I owned a lemans II and a lario. The V7R is as good as any other bike from mandello.... and it has stunning looks. so.....the answer is YES you do ;)

Greetz from holland

rob

Definitely a Guzzi

As regards starting -
Had trouble starting my V7C the first day or so I had it, but then I re-read the owners manual and that solved all the problems for me - quote

Cold Startup
In the case of very low temperatures (near or below 32F - 0C) you may have difficulty at first start up.
In this case:
Turn the start lever towards the ground
Keep the start button pressed for at least 10 seconds and at the same time turn the throttle grip moderately
If the engine starts up
Release the throttle grip
Turn the start lever upwards

If the idle speed is irregular, work on the throttle grip using small, frequent rotaions
End Quote

Since reading this all I ever have to do is press the starter and roll on throttle until it fires (only ever a couple of seconds) then hold the idle on the throttle till it warms up a bit (or simply start riding). Never need to touch the cold start lever.

I always thought that fuel injection had made tempermental cold starting a thing of the past.
Maybe the system in the V7 has had it deliberately programmed in, just to give it a bit of authenticity
:roll:
Haven't had this much fun cold starting a bike since a CBX1000 I owned in the 80's
:lol:

sandy said:
I always thought that fuel injection had made tempermental cold starting a thing of the past.
Maybe the system in the V7 has had it deliberately programmed in, just to give it a bit of authenticity
:roll:
Haven't had this much fun cold starting a bike since a CBX1000 I owned in the 80's

Slowly open the throttle as you crank the bike. It should start easier with this technique.

AWOG.... very funny!
You have a real guzzi and welcome to the club!
I have met some wonderful and weird folks hanging around Guzzi's those 2 are bottom feeders. They were probably bullies to 3 year olds when they were 10.

I had a guy in a pick up truck getting gas next to me recently and he had HD stickers on his truck....a HD shirt on ....I am pretty sure a HD tatoo on his arm but not positive. He saw my V50 and said " Why don't you get a REAL motorcycle?"

I said "I would but I can't afford all of the t shirts." I am sure he did not read the sarcasm. So I talk him up a little and when asked what kind of HD he rode he got wormy..."uh well...I ah.... I will be getting mine back someday soon"
I said "Cool...what kind do you have?"
He kind of mumbled something.
It took me a minute to figure out the only HD he owned was on a t shirt.

YOU OWN a guzzi dude! You will be the coolest guy on the road wherever you go~!

Those idiots were not just rude, but ignorant about Guzzis. The 750 racer's engine has been in production for a very long time. The changes from the old V50 and later 750's are natural developement, not radical alterations. I saw the prototype Breva 750 at the factory in 2002.
I have two old Guzzis, a 2001 Jackal and a 1991 Targa 750, I love them both, would I buy a new one? Damn right I would, a 1200 sport 8v, with hard bags, would be in the shed ASAP, but I don't have the money.
There are a few of these arogant fools about, who can only big themselves up by slagging off others bikes. Fortunately they are rare among Guzzi riders, then great majority of whom will show interest in what Guzzi you ride whatever it is. I personally have never had anything but friendliness and a marked willingness to help from most Guzzi riders.
Enjoy your bike and forget them, if they had their way Guzzi would be long dead.

Interesting you say that Patrick.
A friend of mine who is a mechanic phoned me up the other day to tell me he had something on the bench I might like to see.
It was an old V50 in for a new clutch.
I was struck by how similar the bike was to mine.
Everything bar the tank seat and wheels looked identical to my bike.
So I've unwittingly bought a bike that's been around in basically the same form 30 years at least ?
How cool is that
B)
By the way, I am pleased to say that since I started this thread, I have encountered a few more Guzzisti and experienced a whole different attitude.
I'm loving this bike and I'm a total Guzzi convert now,
I must be.
Yesterday I picked up my new MGS 01 for when I go on track days
:D

And then sadly, I woke up.
:(

WTF? Just goes to show that there are douchebags riding all types of bikes.

Did they mean that your bike is a break from Moto Guzzi's history and tradition? If so, then they know nothing of the marque's history and tradition. By that standard, your small block is more "Guzzi" than most of the bikes being produced under Piaggio Group.

Welcome.

I have never thought or been told my 750cc V7 is not a 'real' Guzzi.It's as much a 'real' Guzzi as yours,made in the same factory and the same cubic capacity,only it was made in 1971.
I also have a 1200 Sport so know what the new ones are like as well.
Don't get me Going on Harley riders,I used to work in a Harley dealers (two in fact) some where OK,but they tended to have ridden bikes for years.Sadly a lot of them behaved like spoilt children.

Dude, take it from someone who used to ride a Monster 600 and now rides a Breva 750. There is always some douchebag who wants to criticize. Granted they only ride like 2 miles a year and have 3 grand worth of farkles on their bikes. Don't sweat it! Your bike is freakin' awesome as hell dude!! Welcome to the wonderful world of italian bike ownership. Most of us are pretty cool.

Hi yes, I have learned a lot since I've come here.
Mainly that even Guzzi owners can be blinkered and ignorant, no matter how knowledgeable they are (or claim they are)

If it means anything, I have a Cafe V7 and a Stelvio, and I am very envious of the V7 Racer owners.

roofus said:
If it means anything, I have a Cafe V7 and a Stelvio, and I am very envious of the V7 Racer owners.

Hi there.
Isn't it you I read on another forum who's also got a Stucchi fairing ?
Hows it going ?
Not easy is it
:(
The results are worth it though.

I have a similar story to tell. I've got a small block, a Monza but my normal ride is a silver LMIII.

I was at a rally earlier this year on the silver LM III when a guy walking past exclaims " I've got a LM III but I've got a real one." Smiling, I asked "what is a real one?" He replied "A red one!." I paused for a second and tried to pick up the humour in his voice. Finding none I countered with, "Oh you've got a common one." :roll:

He told me that he had owned his LM III for 18 years. I laughed and told him I owned 2 and my first I purchased at the factory in 1983. It was white so I had the 2 rare colours. :lol:

He was a tad miffed by this stage, pointed to the seat and declared that I even had a Cali seat on it. I just looked at him and replied " Now you are just showing your ignorance. That is a corbin seat made for a LM III." He grunted, turned and stomped away.

You can find them not only within the marque of your choice but in the model as well. There was probably a lot of common ground we could have talked about but he seemed more intent on putting me and my bike down.

I can certianly survive without his presence, quite happily in fact. I suggest you do the same and enjoy your bike.

Cheers

Rod

It never ceases to amaze me the capacity people have to be rude.
I mean there are lots of bikes I don't like, and I have my reasons which are not always kind, but I would never dream of going up to a complete stranger and suggesting his bike stinks.
Would you, or anyone do such a thing.
:eek:
But yet here, on this very forum someone described my bike to the rest of us V7 Racer owners, who are strangers to him, as a "horrid little thing"
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but there is a line that most intelligent people don't cross, and it's a matter of common courtesy to respect other peoples choices.
Would that person come up to a total stranger at a bike meet and just come out with such a thing.
I doubt it, so why is it OK to do exactly the same thing on a forum.
:shock:

V7 Racer described as a "horrid little thing" :lol:

Sounds like Pete. That's just the way he talks. If you were with him in person the tone and body language would tell you he means no offence. I think he also described that model elsewhere as having "more bling than a tart's handbag" or words to that effect. :lol: The 2 guys you mentioned in the first post and the guy I wrote about were raising their own profile by putting others down. They were being vindictive, Pete is just expressing his opinion in his own exotic terms. :D I see a big difference.

I will admit that the V7 Clone series is a marketing success but there is nothing new in the range. The Breva and Nevada have been running along on the same fundamental running gear for years which hasn't significantly changed since the late 70's when the V35 and V50 first appeared. My Monza is an 81 and I can easily show you many many similarities. The Breva is actually a better package IMO. 1 litre more in the tank and 17" cast wheels that give a great range of rubber to choose from and the advantages of tubeless tyres.

I personally prefer the V7 Cafe to the Clubman (racer) too. Same bike just less bling, just don't take offence. That is my personal preference as I'm not into big entrances. I'd rather slip in unnoticed.

I am constantly amused by all the current hype over the model. There are online reviews raving about the handling and how much fun it is. That's all true, as it has been for over 30 years. :roll: Just goes to show what a new set of clothes can do and how easily the market can be swayed if you appeal to their fashion sense. ;)

I'm not in the market for a V7 Clone (covers all the current variants with no malice intended) for a number of reasons. I have a Monza that has a V65 motor in it and it is a ball of fun. My lady has a Sessantacinque GT (V65GT) and it is a ball of fun too. Both are very similar to the new series. I prefer to stay with the older carby models as I am set up for tuning them and it means I am independant of service centres, I have also simply run out of room and couldn't squeeze another bike in the shed.

I have written on small blocks before:

http://guzzista.wetpaint.com/page/Sessantacinque+GT

http://guzzista.wetpaint.com/page/Older+Small+Block+Issues?

I do prefer big blocks for traveling though. It is simply a matter of range. The older Tontis had real fuel tanks carrying over 20 litres and some up to 25 but the small blocks aren't that much more economical to compensate for the smaller capacity. Only the NTX can top that and I haven't been able to find one. :(

It is simple physics that the big blocks with more weight and power are less affected by the weight of touring gear also.

A couple of small trips I have undertaken over the last couple of years:

http://guzzista.wetpaint.com/page/Touring+the+USA+on+a+SP1000

http://guzzista.wetpaint.com/page/Touring+the+UK+&+EU+on+a+850+T5+Polizia

And a short one of about 2,000km on the Monza:

http://guzzista.wetpaint.com/page/Bendemeer+2009

So what has all this to do with the topic? Simple! Forget about other people's opinions. Go out and enjoy your bike and start your own collection of adventures. :cool:

Rod

Morizzi said:
V7 Racer described as a "horrid little thing" :lol:
Sounds like Pete. That's just the way he talks. If you were with him in person the tone and body language would tell you he means no offence. I think he also described that model elsewhere as having "more bling than a tart's handbag" or words to that effect. :lol:

I just don't get that.
OK so the chrome tank is a bit bling but that's a small part of the bike.
Yes it has a red frame.
Is that a first for Guzzi.
:?
The number boards are not my cup of tea either but hey, 5 minites and 6 bolts and there off.
Could someone please tell me where they see more bling than a tarts handbag in a V7 Racer.

Morizzi said:
The 2 guys you mentioned in the first post and the guy I wrote about were raising their own profile by putting others down. They were being vindictive, Pete is just expressing his opinion in his own exotic terms. :D I see a big difference.

So out of interest, would you go up to a total stranger and tell him that his bike is horrid ?
Do you think expressing such an opinion in an "exotic" way is going to stop you from being told to f**k off ?

Morizzi said:
I will admit that the V7 Clone series is a marketing success but there is nothing new in the range. The Breva and Nevada have been running along on the same fundamental running gear for years which hasn't significantly changed since the late 70's when the V35 and V50 first appeared. My Monza is an 81 and I can easily show you many many similarities. The Breva is actually a better package IMO. 1 litre more in the tank and 17" cast wheels that give a great range of rubber to choose from and the advantages of tubeless tyres.

Absolutely, and virtually every test report I have read has pointed out these facts.

Morizzi said:
I personally prefer the V7 Cafe to the Clubman (racer) too. Same bike just less bling, just don't take offence. That is my personal preference as I'm not into big entrances. I'd rather slip in unnoticed.

As I said, you just take the number boards off and repaint the tank if it offends you so much.
You still get your moneys worth.
Trust me, the factory rearsets are like works of art, and you do get the upgraded rear shocks.

Morizzi said:
I am constantly amused by all the current hype over the model. There are online reviews raving about the handling and how much fun it is. That's all true, as it has been for over 30 years. :roll: Just goes to show what a new set of clothes can do and how easily the market can be swayed if you appeal to their fashion sense. ;)

Lets not kid ourselves here.
If none of us were trying to make a statement with the bikes we ride, then we'd all be riding around on Honda CB500's.
Fashion, and making a statement comes into play with all of us, weather we are prepared to admit it or not.
The fact that this bike has put Moto Guzzi back on the map more than any other model in their range (apparently V7's have accounted for a 31% increase in production) can only be a good thing.

Morizzi said:
I'm not in the market for a V7 Clone (covers all the current variants with no malice intended) for a number of reasons. I have a Monza that has a V65 motor in it and it is a ball of fun. My lady has a Sessantacinque GT (V65GT) and it is a ball of fun too. Both are very similar to the new series. I prefer to stay with the older carby models as I am set up for tuning them and it means I am independant of service centres, I have also simply run out of room and couldn't squeeze another bike in the shed.

Which is fine and commendable but let's be realistic.
Moto Guzzi as a manufacturer need to be looking ot the future.
Who is actually keeping the name alive.
Is it people who doggedly hold on to the old bikes, or is it people who own the old bikes, but who also buy what they are actually producing now, as well as people like me, who are new to the marque.
Which of these three types of customer do you think are actually keeping the name of Moto Guzzi in the running in todays market place.

Morizzi said:
I do prefer big blocks for traveling though. It is simply a matter of range. The older Tontis had real fuel tanks carrying over 20 litres and some up to 25 but the small blocks aren't that much more economical to compensate for the smaller capacity. Only the NTX can top that and I haven't been able to find one. :(

It is simple physics that the big blocks with more weight and power are less affected by the weight of touring gear also.

I've owned allsorts of "tourers" over the years.
ZZR1100, FJ1200, were the most powerful, but my current two up steed is a 15 year old BMW R1200C which has about 60bhp.
That thing gets loaded up to the hilt but yet takes it all in it's stride.
Power, I have learned is not the key to getting enjoyment out of a motorcycle.

Morizzi said:
So what has all this to do with the topic? Simple! Forget about other people's opinions. Go out and enjoy your bike and start your own collection of adventures. :cool:
Rod

Oh no, don't get me wrong.
I don't actually care that much but I always believed that Guzzi owners were a very different bunch to the average rider.
Actually, I find that there are the same elements of snobbery as there are everywhere else, sadly.

Back