• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Suspension sag

davem

Tuned and Synch'ed
I thought I would set up the suspension on my Breva 1200 (not sport).
According to most accounts the front forks should sag 25-30mm from the rider sat on the bilke to fully unloaded i.e the front wheel off the ground.
With the preload adjusters fully wound down the sag is around 40mm at best.
The manual recommends 8.5 turns out from full preload which is obviously way out to what i'm getting.
Any one else set up the suspension sag and achieved better results.

Actually you want the front of the bike to sag about 25mm vertically, not along the fork tube. Sag is measured with the bike on both wheels, and the riders weight off the bike. Then with the riders weight on the bike both the front and rear suspension should sag about 25mm vertically. You may need a couple friends to help stabilize the bike and take measurements.

O.k. thanks for that.
Next question. To get the 25mm vertical measurement by measuring the distance along the tube must be a simple bit of trig. if I could only find my calculator. Can someone work it out for me?

Actually, most people recommend measuring the front sag along the fork tubes, while measuring the rear sag along the vertical axis. Also, 25 mm of sag is really at the low end. Again, most people recommend 25mm - 40mm. I would shoot for 32 mm of sag, but you can try 25 mm and see if you like it.

Keith Code explains it all, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw

To get a 25.00mm vertical sag, it will be 27.58mm on the fork inner tube based on Breva 1200's 25 degree rake angle.

If I can still remember my high school trigonometry correctly.... :mrgreen:

Phang

Phang said:
To get a 25.00mm vertical sag, it will be 27.58mm on the fork inner tube based on Breva 1200's 25 degree rake angle.

If I can still remember my high school trigonometry correctly.... :mrgreen:

Phang

I should even be better at remembering that than you ... I took Trig three times!

Think I eventually got a mercy past because the teacher was so sick of me. :laugh:

Bill

It seems Keith Code measured the sag with the front wheel off the ground.

With the Keith Code method the sag was 40mm with the preload wound right down which is just in the 25-45mm range he is recommending but with no further adjustment possible.

Then without lifting the front end the sag was 26mm.

It seems odd that the bike is so softly sprung. Any further ideas?

john zibell said:
You may need a couple friends to help stabilize the bike and take measurements.

With the bike unladen, stick a zip tie in the fork tube, push it all the way down. Load up the bike and the zip tie will move up the tube. You can then take the measurement either running along the tube or vertically. No assistance required nor any need to share that nice bottle of red.

regards

Robert

Roblatt said:
john zibell said:
You may need a couple friends to help stabilize the bike and take measurements.

With the bike unladen, stick a zip tie in the fork tube, push it all the way down. Load up the bike and the zip tie will move up the tube. You can then take the measurement either running along the tube or vertically. No assistance required nor any need to share that nice bottle of red.

regards

Robert

I don't mind sharing good wine.

Hmm, I think you might have some stiction that needs to be accounted for.

Static sag compared to extended fork: 40mm
Static sag compared to static fork: 26mm

That would point to a free sag of 14mm, right? I know that free sag is normally measured rather than calculated, but I think in theory the calculation and the measure should come out the same.

And if you're getting 14mm of free sag with the preload cranked all the way, then either the springs are way to light for the bike, or there was some stiction confounding the measurements.

Rechecked unladen sag it was 13mm.

The cable tie method is pretty fool proof.
Fit the calble tie to fork tube, push against the fork seal and then sit on the bike this will push the tie up the fork leg.
Get off the bike and raise the front end so there is no weight on the forks.
Measure the distance from the tie to the fork seal this is the sag measurement.
Any Breva or Norge (not the new model) owners willing to give it a go and report back would be appreciated.
This will need to be done with the preload wound right down for consistant results.

Back