• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8V Spark Plug Cap removal.

TEDD

Just got it firing!
Sorry if this subject has already been covered but, how the heck do you remove the spark plug caps without
damaging them on the 8V engine ?... What's the 'nack' ?
I have just had a major service on my Griso at my local Guzzi dealer and there on the bill was a replacement
cap at £15, so I am sure he would also like to know the secret.

It has been covered. You go in from the side/end with a screwdriver to pop it free. Once done, you can tie a string or wire tie to the cap for future removal. Also you want to replace the cap with one from NGK. Do a couple searches and all will be revealed.

I've seen another thread on this subject, but his one come up when I searched.

To get the cap off on a Stelvio, I used large 90 degree needle nose pliers. Wiggled the boot a bit then grabbed the boot with the tip, placed bend of the pliers against a rag to protect the valve cover, rotated the pliers toward the bend, so that the rolling motion pulled up on the boot. And presto, done in one second - no damage. Make sure to use the spark plug boot lube, makes install and removal easy.

Sacrifice a nylon tie wrap, slip the flat end under the spark plug wire then slid the wrap up to the 90 degree turn of the cap then basically tie wrap the the plug cap then use your hand or pliers to pull the cap off. By all means get the NGK replacements caps NGK (8031) LB05E Spark Plug Cap

draidt said:
By all means get the NGK replacements caps NGK (8031) LB05E Spark Plug Cap

How do you use a 90 degree cap on a 8V motor? The pics on line look like the leg connecting to the spark plug isn't long enough and it doesn't have a seal.

I'm a bit confused about the NGK resistor cover replacement; all posts I've seen so far mention the SB05E model as the correct one for an 8V engine, but that cap is designed for a 14-mm thread plug, not a 10-mm one. The SD05F model would seem to be the correct one in this respect, but it fits only plugs with the threaded terminal stud. Has anyone tried the SD05F (or SD05FP) with NGK CR8EIX (4218) Iridium plugs (which I think can be had in the terminal-stud-only version)?

NGK_resistor_8V.jpg

It's all academic for me anyway, I've fitted the much better all-rubber ones . . .
CapSwap

Long enough to pull off by hand, and only two possible water ingress points instead of four . . .

Back