• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Colours of apple

Phang

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
This has bothered me from time to time ever since I ate my first apple.

I have tried asking around for the past 30 years but never get a definite answer.

My question:

Are green apples and red apples from the same tree before they are harvested and sent to the supermarket?

In another words, if green apples are left long enough on the tree, will it turn into red apples?

I am living at the equator, never see an apple tree in my entire life :mrgreen:

Phang

Ditto what Series4 said, but they can be from the same tree. Apple varieties are clones, no not cloned genetically, but a desired variety is grafted on to root stock. So, one can graft multiple varieties on to one tree. I've seen it done, though I think there needs to be the right varieties in the area for proper pollination -not sure. In apples, the variation from one generation to the next is so great that if you plant a seed from an apple you like, the offspring fruit will taste like crap in comparison. Sort of like humans, parents are saints and kids are demons! ;)

Phang;

There are about 7500 different sorts of apples on this small planet. They differ in shape, taste, color and thickness of the peel. Fresh apples from the trees as they come up here have utterly thin peels which doesn't ned to be peeled, which may indicate that peel is the wrong word. :dry:

I'll give you a pic of a blooming apple-tree and a few of some different ripe apples as grown up here in the North.

PIX-JVMAYT.jpg

IngridMarie_300x225.jpg

Ingrid Marie

Melon_300x225.jpg

Melon

Akero_300x225.jpg

Åkerö

TransparenteBlanche_300x225.jpg

Transparante Blanche

- hoping you'll enjoy the taste of a real fresh apple some day.

to add some Guzzi content to this...

I stopped at an apple orchard just east of the town of Stelvio. What's interesting is that while all the apples were some green variety, the ending tree of every row had only red apples. Knowing the Italians, this might have been done purely for artistic reasons, but there might be a good horticulture reason as well. I've no idea.

photo352.JPG

On appletrees it's very easy to graft cuttings, often used for small gardens as you can easily grow a variety of apples on the same tree.
Probably what happened here, despite the size of the growing... :lol:

What's interesting is that while all the apples were some green variety, the ending tree of every row had only red apples. Knowing the Italians, this might have been done purely for artistic reasons, but there might be a good horticulture reason as well. I've no idea.
Daniel there appears to be red fruited trees along the row in the photo which suggests to me they may be there for pollenation reasons, as some apples are tetraploid or tri/diploid (and other stuff I have long forgotten). I seem to remember the old variety Gravenstien is a tetraploid and is a bit biennial so needed a good pollenator to keep it regular. The red pollenator is also chosen to help seperate the variety at picking time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey Series Woodbridges is a good source!!

Phang - you mentioned GRAPES - I love grapes. My wife loves grapes. Grapes for wine are all RED. White wine ( :sick: ) comes from RED grapes with the skin peeled! My wife is here below kneading the head in a barrel during the primary fermentation making Zinfandel Red in Lodi CA :p

Attachments

• Wine 2010.jpg
    Wine 2010.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 725
tomsp said:
Phang - you mentioned GRAPES - I love grapes. My wife loves grapes. Grapes for wine are all RED. White wine ( :sick: ) comes from RED grapes with the skin peeled! My wife is here below kneading the head in a barrel during the primary fermentation making Zinfandel Red in Lodi CA :p

What about these white (actually green) ones http://www.google.com/search?q=%22white ... 80&bih=880

Or these for white wine http://www.google.com/search?q=%22white ... 80&bih=880

Yes I know some white wines are produced from reds with the skins separated and all reds include the skins in the process, but there are the lighter varieties of grapes.

john zibell said:
tomsp said:

What about these white (actually green) ones http://www.google.com/search?q=%22white ... 80&bih=880

Or these for white wine http://www.google.com/search?q=%22white ... 80&bih=880
Yes I know some white wines are produced from reds with the skins separated and all reds include the skins in the process, but there are the lighter varieties of grapes for wine.

It is true that one can wreck perfectly good Zin by taking the poor little skins off and make White Zin or one can ferment w-w-w-hite grapes into w-w-white wine types - but my lips have only rarely touched that stuff. Now eating a good seedless Thompson is quite another thing.

John - I'm in Lodi. I have no use for w h i t e grapes :twisted: But true, even in Lodi one can find a grower who will sell a bit of a crop for white Zin - several of ours friends will only drink white white :S

Attachments

• zin.jpg
    zin.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 521
I've currently got about 300 litres of red and 200 litres of white sitting in my cool room waiting to be bottled.

Here in Oz, red grape = red wine, red grape crushed and fermented without skins = rose, white grapes crushed and skinless = white wine.

I once left the skins on white grapes for the fermentation. I got great white wine whose colour changed to red when taken out of a dark cool room and left in the daylight. Flavour didn't change funnily enough.

Any way, we're upside own here in Oz which is probably why I can't get white wine from red grapes.

cheers

Robert

It ought to depend on the cépage: from what I know wine colour mostly stems from the skin in most grape varieties (cf. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosé).
There's a wine from the Arbois region that's produced as a red but from a variety that makes it almost as clear as a rosé: Poulsard.

Also, there must be a reason why so many wines are bottled in dark-coloured bottles ;)

Roblatt said:
I've currently got about 300 litres of red and 200 litres of white sitting in my cool room waiting to be bottled.

Here in Oz, red grape = red wine, red grape crushed and fermented without skins = rose, white grapes crushed and skinless = white wine.

I once left the skins on white grapes for the fermentation. I got great white wine whose colour changed to red when taken out of a dark cool room and left in the daylight. Flavour didn't change funnily enough.

Any way, we're upside own here in Oz which is probably why I can't get white wine from red grapes.

cheers

Robert

I think Oz must be a good place - slightly east of Lodi. We just bottled here and am waiting until this weekend to rack the wine we picked this season. Past few years it's been Zin. Co-worker friend owns the vineyards .

Many white wines are made from red grapes; it's mostly a question of how the grapes are treated, and if skins are left for fermentation.
The really tricky wine would be red wine made from white grapes. :mrgreen:

Holt said:
Many white wines are made from red grapes; it's mostly a question of how the grapes are treated, and if skins are left for fermentation.
The really tricky wine would be red wine made from white grapes. :mrgreen:

Good one :D Now this is tricky

Attachments

• motomerlot 2 6-07.JPG
    motomerlot 2 6-07.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 472
Back