• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New Cali Vin owner needs advice

TwoSmiles

Just got it firing!
Hello Folks:

I am not only new to this forum, but I have finally fulfilled a bucket list item by recently purchasing an '07 Cali Vintage.

I have only managed to get the bike out for two rides since bringing it home. Right off the start once underway on the first short ride in town and again even at highway speeds on a longer ride I noticed a peculiar consistent and therefore irritating 'harmonic' vibration develop... and it seems to resonate inside my inside helmet. This appears not only from the exhaust 'notes', but something more... I am wondering if this might simply be a exhaust/vibration noise that is accentuated by the empty fiberglass saddlebags; intending to stuff them with towels or foam core the next opp to ride. But if anybody else has experienced this I would appreciate some feedback. I had expected some vibration, but not his "disturbing" noise. In fact the physical vibration the P.O. admitted to disliking at the handlebars and in the chassis does not disturb me at all. I have owned other bikes that were much worse.

The bike also has a peculiar electrical problem. The right side turn signals only operate when the revs are higher. In fact the rear turn signal does not even light up at idle or when stationary! The right front glows at lower rpm, but does not flash until the rpm is much higher than idle. At first I thought I might have a faulty bulb in the rear signal so I dismantled that unit. First I should mention that I was impressed with those inner workings especially in comparison to the same item on a friend's HD Sportster that I recently repaired/rewired. But after supplying twelve volts to the contacts the bulb lit up in the reflector. SO... any advice a seasoned mechanic may have for sorting this issue out would be appreciated. I am determined and patient, but definitely a novice at this sort of "electrical forensics".

Finally, above and beyond the exhaust noise there is a peculiar-to-me metallic ping or ring once underway. This is not terribly loud nor even that irritating. Could it be the dry clutch noise? A too loose/tight valve (app 12000Km)? OR??? Has anybody else with a Cali Vin or other similar model experienced such a noise. I am hoping to learn this is an inherent noise with the Guzzi 1100 engines or that i should check for this or that. Again, past and current motorcycles in the fleet have there own peculiar noises, but I don't want to continue riding this bike if such a noise is spelling a soon to be disaster.

Like many a Guzzi owner I do not have a Guzzi dealer nearby to take my bike to for an informed opinion, and the closest regional vendor of Guzzis are not renowned for any passion for the bikes. I fell in love with them from afar simply because I could see the character in the bikes and I read the passion in the Guzzi owners on the forums. I have thought about owning one since meeting a Guzzi owner on and Eldo back in 1974. The BMW airhead I owned had plenty of character of its own from my perspective, but that Eldo simply "reaked"! I don't know if this Guzzi will replace my Ducati Sport Classic as "The Mistress In My Garage", but after just two rides I think it is going to certainly offer up a challenge; time will tell... and apparently a bit of sorting.

So... any advice folks?

Hi TwoSmiles,
I am not too sure about the "noises" on your bike but as regards to the turn signals, even though they light up at 12 volts just check they are all the correct wattage. A good earth contact is very important, if earths and bulbs are good check the contacts on the indicator switch and finally the flasher unit itself.
Cheers Kevin

I thank you all for the feedback and I will pursue solutions as per suggestions. I just caught sight of an article on another thread that apparently details how to search out problems with electronics as well... hoping I can navigate back to it; I am relatively new to surfing such forums.

Yes, I intend to learn how to complete tune-ups on the motorbike myself and this is a primary reason that I chose a Guzzi. I had read many a forum article and blog site attesting to how relatively simple mtce is on the Moto Guzzi bikes.

I had been away from this "sport" for too long (bought my Duc two years ago) and was determined once back into it that I would learn to care for our bikes as well. My wife just passed her riders test two weekends ago and has been riding along with me as a "beginner"this past year on a Honda NT650. The Cal Vin will be our principal two-up ride although the Duc is more than capable with a pilon. I am quite excited about this motorcycle.

Yes... I am blessed to have a wife who not only rides with me, but also accepts my growing "multiple motorbike disorder".

Thanks again folks.

Can we P.M. folks via this website?

I will try to remember to follow up with my success or lack of same later... although if it takes too long I am not so certain I can navigate my way back to this specific forum... I did not seem able to find it again until I searched "new posts".

Have a reputable dealer do a diagnostic on the bike's computer. I drove my brand new '08 Cal Vint for a year with a faulty brain box. It ran but was not right. I had another Guzzi (Jackal) to compare the performance. The thing ran like a different bike with a new unit unstalled. Seriously, check into it.

I have made friends with another Cal Vintage owner in a nearby city. In fact he was sitting on and then bought the bike that my wife and I had gone to see at a regional dealer... the bike that "haunted" me for many months; an '07 Vintage that dealership had received from a now defunct dealer. We likely will not be able to get the two bikes together until spring now, but I will compare our bikes at first chance and if there is anything noticeable I will certainly take your advice.

Unfortunately the remaining regional Guzzi dealer has a very poor service reputation. In fact when I was researching motorbikes a few years ago with the intention of getting back on a bike the salesmen essentially tried to talk me out of buying any Moto Guzzi and pushed me towards the Triumphs on their floor. My wife and I were leaning towards a V7 Classic at that point. In the end I later bought my Duc and that over a BMW F800 model I was also leaning towards. So while I cannot definitely say this dealership's reputation is warranted, the lack of passion for the brand certainly does not instill any confidence. If I get my Guzzi to a dealer it will likely be later in the spring when we head out further west... then I will probably head to Moto international in Seattle or a dealership in B.C. that apparently has a great Guzzi tech.

I have a copy of the manual and Guzziology on the way and plan to start attempting to sort out things myself over the winter months. Who knows.

Back