• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge rear brake loss

Valkrunner

Just got it firing!
Have a repeated problem with the rear brake. It seems to take about 4000 mile to slowy fade out, as if it were getting air in the line. No fluid loss. Replaced the master cylinder, replaced the washers on the braided lines. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

Valkrunner said:
Have a repeated problem with the rear brake. It seems to take about 4000 mile to slowy fade out, as if it were getting air in the line. No fluid loss. Replaced the master cylinder, replaced the washers on the braided lines. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

Yes there have complaints from several other Norge owners, I experienced a low pedal early on and since bleeding them have had no repeat of the problem, Speculation is it might have something to do with the ABS pump, that's about all I can add.

I just noticed this the other day on my Norge. It seems that the pedal travel is much more than it was before. The bike has 29K+ miles on it. I'll bleed them and see if it helps.

azccj said:
I just noticed this the other day on my Norge. It seems that the pedal travel is much more than it was before. The bike has 29K+ miles on it. I'll bleed them and see if it helps.

If they are the original pads that might have something to do with the low pedal.

If it is the pads, I recommend organic Brembo replacement over the FF (high friction pads) as delivered. I stock them at $39/set, full kit with new pin and hardware. Contact me direct, PM or e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com

I wouldnt think its the pads, we completely lose the rear brake every 3-4 thousand miles. Front brake stays fine. ABS pump?

GT-Rx said:
If it is the pads, I recommend organic Brembo replacement over the FF (high friction pads) as delivered. I stock them at $39/set, full kit with new pin and hardware. Contact me direct, PM or e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com
Too bad I didn't know about it earlier. Just replaced my rear pads with EBC and bought a set for front. I'd rather have OEM parts, especially considering that the price is reasonable.

I bought my bike with 3100 miles on it. Brake pedal was very spongy. Bled the brakes and a big bubble came out. Now they're fine.

3ackok said:
GT-Rx said:
Too bad I didn't know about it earlier. Just replaced my rear pads with EBC and bought a set for front. I'd rather have OEM parts, especially considering that the price is reasonable.

I had to replace my pads a wee bit early. The rear brake kept getting lower and lower. Turned out that I may have been using the brake for a foot rest. Replaced same and all is well. That is if i ever get my bike out of the shop again for other troubles. :cry:

draidt said:
azccj said:

If they are the original pads that might have something to do with the low pedal.
Why would the pads have anything to do with how far the pedal goes down? On a hydraulic brake system the brake fluid compensates for brake pad wear automatically, unlike a brake system that is operated by cables. But when I pull the rear brake caliper off, I'll check to see how much pad I have left.

Pad wear will only affect brake pedal travel if the brake fluid level has been allowed to drop too far in the reservoir, thus allowing air into the master cylinder.

Earlier today I bled the rear brake. What a huge difference that made in pedal travel. Now it is 1/4 what it was before the bleeding.

I am glad I found this posting. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I had the master cylinder replaced under warranty but no difference. I have bled my brakes about 5 times getting air each time but no leaks. A friend said he saw this before on another bike and it was the rear caliper seals but Guzzi does not list hem separately and the yonly sell the caliper so I have kept bleeding. The time it takes this to happen varies from 75 miles to thousands of miles.

Agreed, the pads are not the problem and air sucked into the the MC is easily solved. MCs have been replaced with out the desired result. The Breva 1100 has the same rear caliper and as far as I know haven't has this problem, this points to the ABS. But a batch of defective caliper seals is not far fetched. I measured the caliper piston on my Breva and found them to be 28mm, so it may be worth trying to rebuild one with seals from a P28N Brembo caliper Brembo kit # 120.3973.10 . The P28N is a different style caliper but the seal may be the same. The length has to match ( height lying down). So, who's gonna give it a try? Be very careful taking the old seals out, just in case new ones don't match. Worse case you'd have to replace the caliper and if the bike is still under warranty you can submit a claim.

Maybe swapping the caliper with one from a buddies bike would be a better experiment. KTM and Cagiva used a similar floating Brembo caliper used on dual purpose models during the '90s, the PF2.28C, maybe a kit is available for this model.

Rafael

Well now we finally hope the problem will get resolved . The rear caliper siezed on a recent ride and burnt up the rear brake pads. metal into the disk and rear brake line cooked. Fortunate it did not get worse. So replaceing the rear brake line, caliper and disk. :( Oh Guzzi wont returna call to me either after promising to have the bike looked at. :evil:

You might want to contact Pinwall Cycle in Navarre, OH. The are apparently parting out another Norge. I purchased a rear brake caliper for a spare from them on another Norge they parted out. I think it was about $40. They currently have quite a few Norge parts on eBay.

Rudy

Still fighting this problem after changing the rear caliper and the master cylinder. A friend who does car repairs said "You have a bad dump valve in the ABS unit. Happens a lot in cars". My comment was where was he when the bike was under warranty. I know Guzzi will not answer any emails or calls I have now purchased a used ABS unit from Pinwall for $90 and I installed it this week. Of course I have no idea if the bike I got the unit off of had the problem or not. I'll post what happens.
I am seriously contemplating contacting NHTSA on this since Guzzi seems to think if you look away it will go away. Seems to have worked for them so far.

I have now put about 500 miles on the bike with the used ABS unit installed and my rear brake still works the same as when I installed it. Which is to say, not as firm as I like it to be but at least it works and no air. I have purposely used the rear brake much more than normally and activated the rear ABS on gravel several times. So far so good. Apparently it was the ABS unit and Guzzi successfully put me off long enough that I had to pay for it and not them.

About a month ago I moved the rear brake master cylinder reservoir to the location where the charcoal canister once lived. So far :D the rear brake is as solid as when I last bled them a month ago. Only time will tell if this mod cures the problem. If nothing else it makes bleeding the rear brake a lot easier. I have a spare ABS unit that I picked up from Pinwall, but I have no plans to change out the original ABS unit unless it fails :eek: completely.

Attachments

• CIMG2631.JPG
    CIMG2631.JPG
    788.1 KB · Views: 465
Back