• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Higher power H7 bulb okay in '07 Breva 1100?

flip

Tuned and Synch'ed
I want to upgrade the lighting on my '07 Breva 1100. Would it be okay to use an Osram 65W H7 bulb in place of the stock 55W bulb? If I use that bulb, should I install a ceramic plug for it?

The charging system certainly will handle it. The weak link in higher output bulbs does seem to be heat in regards to the stock plug. I've seen a few of the stock bulb plugs melted down when running only on high beam (with stock bulb). That said, if you don't change the stock plug, I certainly would keep a close eye on it. If you do the swap, please take pics and post here.

Can you get bulbs like the Osram Nightbreaker where you are? (There is also a Philips version). They are standard wattage, but produce something like 80% more light. This way you would have no heat problems.

Brian UK said:
Can you get bulbs like the Osram Nightbreaker where you are? (There is also a Philips version). They are standard wattage, but produce something like 80% more light. This way you would have no heat problems.

Powerbulbs.com is a good source of these kinds of bulbs and ships worldwide for free, not cheap, but the extra light is worth it.

Hi there,

Have you ever heard of this upgrade? I guess the H7 should be 55W , I don't know what it is recommended for your bike but NEVER use these extra bright colors , this will melt the socket for sure. Ceramic tube is that protects the wire running to the end of the bulb and it seems pretty fragile. All HIDs have this external wire, some may have better coatings. It seems most aftermarket HIDs position the ceramic tube on the wrong side of the bulb causing the shadow on the emitting part of the reflector/lens.

Regards,
Anthony

Amazon carry the Osram Night Breaker Plus. I believe my Norge has H1 bulbs which would run me $70 for the pair (plus major surgery to reach the bulbs).

I think a high output bulb (more lumens) is a good idea, but not a higher wattage bulb. The extra heat from a higher wattage could certainly melt wiring, socket, and reflector. And I agree on the aftermarket HID kits: I installed a couple of them on my last bike, and while there is a lot of overall light, the filaments end up in the wrong place (not at the focal point of the reflector) and the light is poor focused.

Thanks guys. There is no way I'd go with an HID kit. I drive alot at work and I've seen lots of vehicles with converted HID lights and the glare from their lights is terrible.

The Breva 1100 headlight comes with a 55w H7 bulb and a 65w H9 bulb. Since the 65w H9 bulb doesn't cause any problems that I am aware of, I don't think a 65w H7 should cause a problem, especially if I add a short wire extension with a ceramic plug on the end that plugs into the bulb.

On the Daniel Stern Lighting site, the outputs of various bulbs is listed. A standard 55w H7 bulb should be around 1450 Lumens. The various 55w Plus 50 H7 bulbs put out around 1550 Lumens. The 65w H7 bulbs put out around 2100 Lumens.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... types.html

So, I just ordered a couple of 65w bulbs and the extension with the ceramic plug. I guess I will install them in a couple of weeks. That would probably be a good time to swap out my cut down factory windshield for a fairly tall Eagle windshield.

This is a topic for another day, but, I'm still tring to find "just the right" fog lamps to mount on my HB engine case guards. I have a couple of sets of Piaa Solitaire fog lights. They seem a bit small. I also bought a pair of Hella FF300 lights. They turned out to be too large to fit on my case guards. I have Piaa adjustable mounts to use with whatever I finally decide on.

Thank you Alex. That's the kind of info I was looking for. If you had no problems with a 75w bulb, I should be okay with a 65w bulb used with a ceramic socket!

Thanks,
Phil

Back