• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

NTX top end woes

Lannis said:
Timothy said:
Got a chance to talk to the service manager last night and apparently they found some play in the Little End on the left cylinder. So a whole new crank shaft has been ordered.

Surely they meant "connecting rod"? The Little End is the part of the rod that attaches to the piston.

Replacing the crank wouldn't fixt that ....

Lannis

Doh! You both right I meant Con Rod and not Crank.... :unsure:

Thought I'd give a update on this as there's nothing more annoying in my opinion than looking on this type of forum only to find an issue similar to the one you're having and then never seeing a conclusion.

Well, the big multi franchise dealer delivered sort of a resolution in the end. The top end rattle on the left hand cylinder was indeed a little end bearing fail and the new conrod put in place has stopped the noise. Now it just sounds like the usual Guzzi "tractor" ;) .From booking it in and the getting the bike back took 2 weeks which ain't bad I suppose.

The night before I collected the bike though on the way home from work on the old bike what should I see ? My nice new Guzzi wizzing through traffic. After a bit of a chase I caught it at the lights explained who I was to be told that he was taking it home "only 60 miles" as a test ride to check everything was OK :eek: :eek: They didn't replace the fuel either as the light was on when I picked it up.

It spite of my protestation they still put 10/40 oil in it as "we've always done that with Guzzi's and never had a problem" so on the way home I picked up the proper stuff from my proper local dealer and changed it. An easy job once I'd rigged up a funnel attached to a long hose. Great design that :eek: Yes it cost me money that I shouldn't have had to pay but I got bored of arguing and just wanted my bike back so didn't fancy another 2 or 3 day wait whilst they went out and bought the right oil :cry:

Bike feels a bit lumpier now so I suppose I need to check the throttle sync. Could just be my imagination but one does get a bit paranoid after such an exercise :|

Thanks for the update Timothy, Yes you are right in never hearing the outcome of a issue presented in a common interest forum, One of my pet peeves.

If you can find the time, as much for others as yourself, you should pass this oil grade thing on to Guzzi/Piaggio aftersales in Bromley.
The Stelvio relies on the oil for cylinder head cooling and does need a specific grade to do this safely.
If you ring the Bromley number, they will try to put you through to Italy, but if you tell them it is a specific complaint about a UK dealer, they should put you through to the aftersales manager whose name escapes me for the moment unfortunately.

Hi Timothy,

Sorry to hear about the woes and the NTX, however, now you have got the warranty issue sorted I would recommend you find a proper Guzzi dealer you are happy with and I would support one of the other posts on this thread and recommend Corsa Italiana in Hersham. I have always found them to be helpful and couple of other mates use theme and its probably be worth getting them give it a once over just to be sure its been set up correctly. (Its not hard to find their new shop unlike the old one!)

You really shouldn't have to argue about what grade of oil or all the other problems you have had.

Good luck !

Funnily enough I already have an appointment booked with Corsa to give it the once over.

As you say a proper dealer to get it set up just right :D . It's gonna cost but a worthwhile investment in my book for piece of mind if nothing else

If you live in the south of UK then Corsa Italiana and Haywards are the places to go to with warranty work.
Both know what they are doing IMHO.
I've seen or heard about top end failures on Stelvios,1200 Sports and Grisos.
Some got fixed properly, others not quite so.
I believe that more than one ended up in legal disputes.
So many dealers got culled by Piaggio last year and got replaced by supermarket type shops that it will take a while to sort out who's good and who isn't.
Doesn't do the brand any favours.
Gordon

Back