• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Numb fingers on my Griso

guzziluv

Just got it firing!
Hi all,
went for a ride today and noticed after about ten miles my fingers on the throttle were becoming numb, gave them a quick shake to get the blood circulating again and off we went, five mins later and the fingers are numb again, any one else had this ?
She's an 07, 1100.

Do away with the death grasp on the throttle. Also, get a good (= expensive) pair of gloves that form fit to your hand and which have tacky palm/fingers that allow you to grip the throttle with little hand pressure. Such gloves should be a tight fit on your hands. I also have a throttle rocker that allows you to rest your palm flat and still operate the throttle. In addition and for longer jaunts, the Throttlemeister cruise lock works wonderfully.

Good luck.

This was a minor problem for me when I removed the bar end weights when I fitted some new mirrors.
Went away when I reinstalled the end weights after fitting a diferent set of mirrors.
Do you have the standard end weights still on the bars?
Otherwise the glove advice above is relevant.

Mark

guzziluv said:
Hi all,
went for a ride today and noticed after about ten miles my fingers on the throttle were becoming numb, gave them a quick shake to get the blood circulating again and off we went, five mins later and the fingers are numb again, any one else had this ?
She's an 07, 1100.
That's odd, it's happening (on and off) to me too; only the right hand, and only the thumb and index finger are affected, and I never had that issue before I hopped on the Griso (I've been riding for 30+ years now)... of course, in my case it could be simply due to the fact that, much to my dismay, I don't quite have a teenager's body anymore (my mental age, on the other hand, seems to be hopelessly stuck somewhere around 16). :laugh:

Hi,
Thanks for the advise, i had'nt considered it might be just gloves, i will try that as mine are wearing a bit, i have had them about ten years.It certainly wont stop me enjoying what is an awsome ride.

Does the stitching of your gloves run along the 'meaty' part of your thumb where it joins your hand? If so, try other gloves, relax your grip and/or bend your elbows more. One of my sets of gloves has a seam that runs along that part of my lower thumb. It ends up being a pressure point and will make my hands go numb if I'm not mindful of it.

Just a few thoughts,

mark

Lean into the breeze more and relax. I run with some self adhering pipe tape around the twist grips on all my bikes to give a better grip. Goes lovely and tacky when you have the hot grips fired up too.

pete roper said:
Do you have an 'open' pipe?
I have a Mistral slip-on, but with a db killer in it - not sure whether that counts as 'open'.
BTW, how does an 'open' pipe cause throttle-hand fingers to become numb?

Hey thanks again for all your help, pete, the pipe is standard but im not sure if the throttle bodies are balanced.
I bought some decent gloves today and if it ever stops bloody raining i will try them out !!

Greyo said:
pete roper said:
Do you have an 'open' pipe?
I have a Mistral slip-on, but with a db killer in it - not sure whether that counts as 'open'.
BTW, how does an 'open' pipe cause throttle-hand fingers to become numb?

Open pipe will cause the machine to run appreciably leaner. This make it, especially the 1100's heel harsher and more vibratory. When I was running the Lavizarri pipe on my 1100 if I removed the dB killers the thing would vibrate and tingle like a bastard. I got 'White Finger' a couple of times when experimenting. I eventually decided that dB killer in and stock airbox was the happiest way to go.

One other thing.. All the 'Pushrod' carc bikes, (Bellagio excepted.) leave the factory with the TPS reading wrong. If your bie has never had it's TPS checked and re-set this could also be a contributory factor. U decent tune-up is in order methinks.

Pete

I know Im jumping in on this late... but the same thing happens to me on my Breva 1100. Found it to be caused by the smaller diameter of the handle bar grips. Find I have to grip them tighter to control bike. Have an 03 Triumph T100 with larger diameter grips and my hands do not go numb; as the grip is not so tight with the larger grip diameter. Had the same problem on my ST1100; put bigger grips on problem solved. Also find that a throttle rocker or cramp buster works well on the 300 plus mile days in the saddle.

I had the same problem with the Centauro until I installed gel Pro Grips. Same with the Norge, but the heated grips didn't let me install the Pro Grips. Never did get that one figured out. I did put a throttle lock on it so I could take my hand off once in a while.

For me it was one of two things,
When I fitted the new bars I turned the risers around so the reach was a bit longer.
Tight gloves

I have turned the risers back to the original position so now that I am not having to stretch as far I think my jacket may have been strangling my upper arms.
I was in buying some new gloves and on choosing the ones I wanted the sales assistant asked me to try them on for her.when I had them on she grabbed the end if the fingers and said they were no good because you need a little free play at the end for when you wrap your hand around the bar. Made sense to me so I got a size bigger.

So, one of the above issues was causing my tingling sleeping fingers.

I had the same problem until I changed my handlebars. I don't know for sure but I think the old bars put me in a slightly unnatural position. It didn't really feel uncomfortable but my shoulder/elbow/body position was slightly less than relaxed. I was always playing around with my position to find the most comfort.

As soon as I changed the bars my elbows seemed loose and relaxed, my hands were a little bit more natural, and my throttle hand stopped going numb.

dgreenwood said:
I had the same problem until I changed my handlebars. I don't know for sure but I think the old bars put me in a slightly unnatural position. It didn't really feel uncomfortable but my shoulder/elbow/body position was slightly less than relaxed. I was always playing around with my position to find the most comfort.

As soon as I changed the bars my elbows seemed loose and relaxed, my hands were a little bit more natural, and my throttle hand stopped going numb.

I realize this is years later, but what bar/bend combo did you end up going with? I've got a month under my belt with my Griso, and have just started having this numb finger problem. As I type this, the first three fingers on my clutch hand are still tingling from this weekend's 150-miler.

Thanks!

I have this problem when I ride in to work. Bad enough that both hands go to sleep. My solution so far is to do a mini workout to get the blood flowing in my body better. Carpal problems run in my family. On my ride home my hands rarely get numb. For next season i think I might look into getting some anti vibration barends. I think I saw an ad for a bar end plug that somehow dampens the vibration in the bars. looked like it had some sort of piston in it. Or maybe one of those bar snake doodads. Anyone have experience with these?

Back