• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Helmet/wind Buffet

Nik

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi.
I am a new owner of a 2011 Stelvio V8 (my 3rd guzzi, Cali EV and 1200 Sport previously) and find that I am suffering greatly from wind buffet. I am 6ft tall and have the seat on the lowest setting. I have tried the standard screen in all positions, an NTX screen again in all positions and also with a Laminar Lip. Above 40MPH I start to get this buffet and by the time I get to 60-70 MPH my vision is blurred and it feels like I am getting concussed. The bike is unrideable with any comfort and I'm getting a bit peed off with it.
Has anyone else experienced such buffet and if so what have you done to cure it.

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks very much
Nik.

Something to do with gas and indigestion? :lol: I think you mean wind buffering.

I find full face helmets suffer this problem more, especially with the visor right down. Helmets from various manufacturers appear react to various screens differently. Open face helmets are not as bad, but I personally prefer a full face model.

All I can suggest is to try other helmets, most shops will allow a trial ride before purchase. Either that or remove the screen.

No, I am pretty sure he means Buffet and/or Buffeting.
But he may wish to buffer the buffeting....

Same height as you, seat on highest setting (better on the knees) and I'm fine, visor up at motorway speeds with the Givi aftermarket screen, set on highest position. No buffering. :D :D

Try a search on here for otrher posts on the screen options.

Think we met down at Corsa on Saturday..

Gave it some thought after you left and narrowed it down to 4 options.

1. Ear plugs. They make a huge difference
2. Helmet.
3. Wait for Givi to come up with a screen for the new Stelvio. Won't be long I'm sure
4. Change the bike

HTH

It might help if you can adjust the screen to a more vertical position. This might not seem to make good aerodynamic sense but it could punch a bigger hole in the air, forcing the turbulence higher & up over your head.

Another possibility is to try a 'Rumblestrip' on your helmet. I've never tried them and don't know if they work as well as the makers claim: http://www.ebdesign.com/rumble-strips/

"Above 40MPH I start to get this buffet and by the time I get to 60-70 MPH my vision is blurred and it feels like I am getting concussed. The bike is unrideable with any comfort and I'm getting a bit peed off with it. "

What kind of helmet are you wearing?

I'm 6'1" and will ride visor up with my Nolan Modular on highway at 65-70 -- wearing sunglasses too. There is some "wind action" but really not much. Your 1200 Sport should have tons more, no? Usually on twisties my windscreen is on lowest and on the big slab I raise it to highest level.

...have 09 also, with Givi screen, to which I've added an adjustable extension.Google ADJUSTABLE EXTENSION/ Wunderlich. Infinitely adjustable. Worked wonders for me.I'm 6'2"....and works GREAT...

If you've got a peak on your helmet take it off, those cause loads of grief above 45, unless you have some massive barn door screen fitted. I made the mistake of buying an Arai Tour X when I had a KTM 950 adventure and it was like having a rabid Rottweiler clamped to the back of your neck, but fine with the peak removed.

Hi Nik, have to say my 2011 ntx is the best ride i've owned after many touring bikes can't remember when I last rode without a screen and am pleasanly surprised how little buffeting I get I'm 5'11'' set the screen mid way, low seat pos. and can ride with the front of my nolan n90 up, I always ride with earplugs in. up to motorway speed, good advice to try some other helmets i think. Sell the bike? you won't find anything better in my book. cheers

I fitted a Givi screen to my 2010 NTX and it was better than stock, but not perfect. I then fitted an MRA spoiler and it's 99% perfect any better and it'd be a car ! And that's with an Arai Tour X3 with peak.

Thanks all for your help and advice.
Tim, yes we did meet at Corsa and since then I have contacted GIvi and they only do the same screen as yours at the mo. I have told them of the problems we had trying to fit your screen to my bike i.e. rubbing on the plastic front, and am waiting for a reply. Thanks very much indeed for your help by the way, hope you got your bike sorted.

The buffet appears to be resonating with the vibes of the bike so I am wondering if the bike screen is flexing in time with the engine vibes or maybe the vibes are being transmitted up through the screen mounts causing the screen to resonate....any thoughts please.

I think the next thing to try will be a different helmet. I currently use a Shoei Multitec (without peak) so I will look at different options. I didn't have any problems with this helmet on either my 1200 Sport or my 1300 Pan that I sold just before picking up the Stelvio. I have always ridden with earplugs also.
Has anyone tried a Wunderlich Adjustable Screen Extension or something similar?

I do love the handling and the general way it rides but need to get the buffet/buffering, (thought that was something to do with computers) sorted before I can go touring.

Best regards to all
Nik

I to had a st1300 before the stelvio and the screen (eletric adj) i throught was hopeless and was glad to see the back of it. I could never seem to get it right unless two up, only goes to show how different rider bike combinations (not the 3 wheeled) can be, hope you get sorted soon. Have a good one

I suffered the same problem. Bought the Givi screen, better but not good. Then the CalSci large screen, still not good. CalSci xtra large, still not good. Bought a new Shoei Qwest and the problem is gone. So much so, that I'm back to the stock screen with a MRA on it and that's the way it'll stay.

Charlie

The helmet makes (or can make) a huge difference to the head shake. More than most will admit.

I ride with an Arai XD3 (with the peak) and have very little shake even with the stock screen(I have the Givi on for the winter). The angle that the helmet is sitting at and the fit makes a difference as well. What works for one will not always work for another. Too many variables. How you sit.. arm length and position,, torso length and posture,,, etc..etc...etc... to give an answer that works for anyone else.

HI Nik
Did you get this sorted?
I have just bought a new 2012 Stelvio and find the wind buffeting VERY bad - wish I had seen your post before purchase!
Thanks
David

Just been reading the posts with interest, I have a 2011 NTX bought last oct.
I've had similar problems with buffering, came up with the following, bought 4 x 1 1/2" washers drilled 14mm hole, used these to tilt the screen, placed under screen at bottom fixings, also bought a aero-trim (eBay) works a treat, smoothed out the air-flow.

Marshy.

Just been reading the posts with interest, I have a 2011 NTX bought last oct.
I've had similar problems with buffering, came up with the following, bought 4 x 1 1/2" washers drilled 14mm hole, used these to tilt the screen, placed under screen at bottom fixings, also bought a aero-trim (eBay) works a treat, smoothed out the air-flow.

Marshy

I did the same with my standard (smaller screen). When I got my Laminar tip I did not need the fix and removed the it.

-Omaas.

Back