• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Won't pull past 6,800 rpm

Timothy

Tuned and Synch'ed
Now here's one for you chaps.

What with all the problems with my relatively newly acquired NTX (see NTX top end woes) I've not really had the chance to give the bike a good thrashing until recently. On doing so I noticed that it just won't pull past 6,800 rpm. Almost as if it had a rev limiter.

Obviously the first thing I did was pop on this forum to find a similar thread of a chap with exactly the same problem. But as is so often the case no conclusion. Having experienced an XJR1300 many years ago with the same symptoms I assumed it was air intake related so tools out to have a nose for anything unusual. Air filter out and all looked well but, after stuffing my hand down the air box I could feel that one of the rubber boots/tubes that go from the air box to the throttle bodies was twisted against the other tube to the extent I was surprised any air was getting to the right hand cylinder at all.

So air box out for a good nose. The problem could be alleviated by rotating the hose in the air box to change the angle thereby making both inlets free of each other but on replacing the whole assembly I soon realised that the hose no longer aligned with the throttle body. If that all makes sense :blink:

After an hour of twisting and stretching without success. It dawned on me. And a quick look on the parts diagram confirmed it.There should be a left and right hose with different part numbers and my bike from the factory has been fitted with two left hand hoses so it's been wrong since day one.

Correct part ordered and fitted and it now sails up to the the real rev limiter with vigour. Just need to get the throttle bodies re balanced now..... F**king Italians eh :evil: :evil:

Mi_ka said:
Could by any chance your italian luck had something to do with the top end failure by some very strange pathway?

I'm probably not technically advanced enough to work that one out for sure as I'm not clear how all the injection, air flow monitoring, gas analysing blah blah blah all pans out in the end :blink: . I doubt it though as the left hand cylinder had the little end failure but the right cylinder was the one starved of air :?:

Timothy said:
Mi_ka said:
Could by any chance your italian luck had something to do with the top end failure by some very strange pathway?

I'm probably not technically advanced enough to work that one out for sure as I'm not clear how all the injection, air flow monitoring, gas analysing blah blah blah all pans out in the end :blink: . I doubt it though as the left hand cylinder had the little end failure but the right cylinder was the one starved of air :?:

Actually I can make a case that it could have caused the Left cylinder malfunction, Think about it , The left jug was doing all the work. That cant be good, the motor was unbalanced. How the throttle bodies could have ever been balanced by the factory or shop is beyond me. Did you re balance the TB's after the fix and was it way out ?

draidt said:
Timothy said:
Mi_ka said:
Did you re balance the TB's after the fix and was it way out ?

Only fixed it yesterday so no had the TB's done yet. Booked in for next Saturday and will be interesting to see how far out it was.

Although as you set the TB's at low RPM I'm not expecting it to be massively out as the engine's not breathing very hard at that point. Any restriction in air flow is only really going to show at high RPM...I think :roll:

Not so ! The TB's are balanced at idle via the bleed screws and I agree that it will not matter to much with the restricted intake, BUT Throttle Bodies are balance at speed as well 3200-3600 rpm and are balanced via the throttle body balance screw That has to be way out in order to compensate for the previous restriction, TPS should be reset after each adjustment as well. If your dealer is NOT balancing the TB's at the higher RPM via the balancing screw on the connecting rod then they are doing YOU and all other customer's a great disservice.

Have you checed that you do not have the "run in" rev. limiter engaged? I do believe that You can select this by entering the menues on the dash. I do not know about the new NTX but on my Griso there was something like that.

Guzzistaracing said:
Have you checed that you do not have the "run in" rev. limiter engaged? I do believe that You can select this by entering the menues on the dash. I do not know about the new NTX but on my Griso there was something like that.
Not true... that is simply a rev limit light for break in. There is no adjustable rev-limiter on the bike, only programmed in the ECU.

Guzzistaracing said:

Not sure you read my post properly. I said "it felt like a rev limiter" not there was one. There is no way to set an actual rev limiter just the ability to set an indicator that comes on at certain revs. A rev limiter wasn't the problem anyway but a restricted air flow which is now resolved.

I posted not looking for answers but to assist anyone that may have a similar issue in the future and to vent my disappointment that such a basic mistake could have been made in the factory and went through several checks at a dealers only for a mechanical numpty like myself to discover the resolution.

Who ever put that part of the bike together must have known it was wrong because as the part fitted was not only the wrong shape but too short as well. To get the tube to fit properly over the throttle bodies they'd actually had to pull it out of it's seating at the air box. This whole error not only cut off the air supply to one cylinder but actually broke the seal of the air box meaning unfiltered air was leaking in. I doubt it's done any lasting damage in only 1500 miles but it could have been a whole different scenario if I had used the bike on dusty tracks

See, I learn something new every day! First my memory of the Griso and second: read full post before answering! :D
Just made a fool out of myself and have to go and get another beer as punishment! :lol: Never ever am I going to make THIS mistake again. :whistle:

There many not be an imbalance. The twisted tube was flowing air up to a point, (6800 rpm). As long as it was able to flow the needed volume at 3000 or whatever, it should have run ok, until you hit the point where the tube cannot supply the needed amount of air.

Think of it as a partially plugged fuel filter. It will run fine until you reach the point where the supply can't match the demand.

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

That's my thinking as well. Like I said, booked in Saturday, so we shall see.

No surprises that when we hooked the bike up the throttle bodies weren't that far out and if it had been me I'd have left them alone. But, the technician reckoned he could get a better sync and after a bit of tinkering got the things spot on.

What a difference... as has been said many times on this forum by a certain Mr Roper these bikes are very sensitive to correct balance.

I really feel the bike is now running as it should and I love that engine :D Pulls like a train.

Guess what though..... I'm now getting the ABS light coming on at random. I've lived without ABS on bikes for 30 years so it's not the end of the world just a minor irritation. This bike really is a labour of love. I just know that if I ever get it working as it should I'll love it but it looks like it's not going to be an easy journey. Like a high maintenance woman and I've already got one of those so we'll have to see if there's space in my life for another one :lol:

Monitor your battery voltage, if it drops a little that may trigger the light. Also make sure the connections to the ABS / speed sensors at the wheels are clean and tight. Either may give you the intermittent ABS light.

Back