• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Another Stelvio won't start

THE BONESHAKER

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have a 2010 NTX. I have read the threads re bikes not starting. My symptoms seem different. My engine cranks over. I have tested the starter switch, I have undone all wiring connectors, lubricated and then put them back together. I have 12 volts at the three required terminals on the starter switch. The bike will start interittently. The bike runs perfect once running. I have have done 700 klms since the first time it started playing up. Everything is normal when it is running. The dash reads SERVICE and the red triangle. I went into the diagnostics which came up with two errors when it doesn't start. Error number 27 which is injectors. These work perfectly once started. The other error is where this gets really interesting. Error number 31. This error is not listed in the workshop manual. Can anyone enlighten me? I am particularly interested in number 31 error code. Why can this number come up on the ECU diagnostics when it supposedly does not exist according to the factory workshop manual. I am assuming that it is an ignition fault however it may be a security issue. Anyone? Your help will be appreciated.
Cheers, Peter :?

Look at items 30 and 31 in Carl's schematic for the Stelvio in the Tech section (tab above). These relays provide power for the injections and coils (which are then triggered by the ECU). Your bike can turn over all day, but if these two relays aren't functioning correctly she will never start. As for ECU error 31, I can't find it listed anywhere either. Hopefully one of the dealers/service agents on the forum can come up with that one.

Peter, John or I will ping Guzzi Tech Services here in SoCal on Monday and I'll post on what they say.

Thanks guys, I anticipate your response. It maybe that the relay/s is/are dodgy. I did notice that my lights relay is able to come apart even though it is a sealed unit. Are these relays available from ordinary automotive electrical outlets? Are the relays all the same and would I be able to swap them around to test it?
Hope to get to the bottom of this. The major clue I believe is that it starts intermittently and then runs perfectly.

Can you post a picture of said relay from different angles ? And include it shown with a ruler to indicate size ?

gstallons said:
Can you post a picture of said relay from different angles ? And include it shown with a ruler to indicate size ?

You will have to go to the schematic and see the color codes of the wires for that relay to identify them. The service documentation doesn't seem to identify them like they have done for the 1100 Breva. In fact, Guzzi is very remiss on the location of relays for all their models in the documentation. But, let me warn you, Even if documented it may not be that way on your bike. I was locating the starter relay for my 1100 Breva, but Luigi put it in a different place!! I think that is less likely on a Stelvio as it seems to go to a relay "rack" instead of the individual mounts like the Breva.

So after swapping a couple of relays about it now starts everytime. I think I'll go and buy 6 new relays and replace the four as shown and put the other two in my spare parts container on the bike. I was lucky to get home. I would still like to know about error 31 however. Thanks guys for helping me to nut it out. I knew it had to be something simple. It is just so hard to locate the issue. It's not like a early 70's bike that's for sure!! Once again thankyou very much.

Glad you got it sorted out. It may have been a slightly corroded connection from the solution. Also thanks for posting the pictures. Nice that Guzzi put a label on the relay/fuse cover.

Back