• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stebel air horns

I hooked the original horn wires to the relay and ran wires from the battery for positive and negative (yeah, I know, anal).

Everything works well!

I initially bypassed the relay... 1. the horn was not as loud as I wanted when the engine was idling and 2. Which fuse is that going to blow?

After about 3 months, I finally had the body work off for another project so i decided to go ahead and run a couple of wires (fused, of course). I think you could get by with running only 1 wire (hot) to the relay and finding a more convenient place for the ground connection

I'm gonna let one of my local geniuses tackle this....I'll surely screw it up...But you've told me what I needed to know: that nothing is as simple as it first seems...again, THANKS...GDP

gdp said:
Thanks....er uh...dumb question maybe...can I bypass the relay?

In the end, the answer is no.
You may get away with it, but you would regret it. The inrush current for the Stebel compressor is huge. It needs fused power directly from the battery through a relay. If you don't, the compressor will take a long time to get spinning, and it won't spin as hard. You may even damage the horn button eventually. And you won't be getting the sound out of it that you are after.

I am running twin Fiamm freeway blasters on mine without a relay. Virtually as loud as the Stebel, the relay is not as critical (though still a good idea). And easy to make a mount for the second horn.

motowfo said:
I hooked the original horn wires to the relay and ran wires from the battery for positive and negative (yeah, I know, anal).

Everything works well!

I was playing around with measuring voltage drops on the driving lights on my EV. Too much spare time. :lol:
I found that using frame as a ground (properly of course) got me the highest voltage at the lights. It is difficult to get a large enough ground wire that can duplicate the current carrying ability of those large frame tubes and huge aluminum engine block. So I improved it by removing the seperate ground wire.

Say...motowfo...any chance of making an appointment with you directly, Stebel in hand, and paying American money for an installation?....... I live in Nashville...and ...since evidently there are two (?) Kirkland, Tn. That would be the first difficulty to overcome.....

No need for an appointment... and I prefer to mentor... I'll be glad to show you what I did and watch you do your setup (good way to get to know your bike).

I live south of Triune (Intersection of Hwy 96 between Franklin and Murfreesboro and Nolensville Rd aka Horton Hwy).

I will be home this weekend rebuilding a deck. You can call me at 615-504-2164

Rick

Installation is pretty straight forward but a relay is essential. Here's my install on the Norge:

Attachments

• IMG_1161s.jpg
    IMG_1161s.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 546
Amen Rob...

Sure is nice to have a fairing to "hide" things, huh? I did the same thing on my 07 Norge (since departed the garage)!

Rick

You can also separate the compressor from the horn, and run an air hose between the two, for more mounting options.

My installation. I did separate the compressor from the horn to give better clearance for the front wheel.

DSC02648.jpg

DSC02650.jpg

Back