• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Seeking advice

Tuono

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am seeking advice, for the better part of yesterday I test rode a Bellagio, Griso 1200 and Sport 1200
All excellent machines, I thoroughly enjoyed all of them.
However my dilemma, the budget will only allow for purchase of one, so could I ask current owners of any of the above to give a candid response as to the pros and cons.
The Bellagio would be my favourite as to rider comfort although I liked the extra power of the 1200, but then I read what ‘Ghezzi’ is doing with his Bellagio, probably needed a small screen on the Griso to give an accurate comparison with the sport.
I do just over a hundred kms a day back and forth to work with a fair bit of two up riding on the weekend

Regards

Tuono

As you say, they are all good machines.

It all sepends on what sort of riding you want to do.

The Bellagio is an enormous hoot and IMHO the best pushrod big--block ever built. It's like they kept the best till last!!! Really!!!!

The 1200 Sport with the 4VPC motor is a great tool and a very able tourer but has compromised suspension and is by no means a 'Sports' bike.

The Griso has the best suspension and brakes, the stiffest frame and a lot of 'Get-up-and-go' in terms of performance although the motive package is identical to other 1-O2 sensor bikes, (Go figure??).

Looks are obviously subjective but IMHO the Griso is the most bold statement to come out of Mandello since 1974. The Bellagio has the wrong tank and inferior suspension, (This is apparently being addressed with the new model which hasn't got to Oz yet.) but otherwise is BRILLIANT!!! The Sport 1200 is just neither fish nor fowl. Not a sports bike. Not a tourer. Weird looks that just seem, (To me at least.) say "I have no idea what I'm supposed to be!!!".

Yes. I own a Griso. :mrgreen:

Pete

I'd second everything Pete said!

And Pete.....

pete roper said:
The Griso has the best suspension and brakes, the stiffest frame and a lot of 'Get-up-and-go' in terms of performance although the motive package is identical to other 1-O2 sensor bikes, (Go figure??).
Pete

When the Griso first came out I noticed in the specification that the primary ratio between the engine & gearbox was different to the other CARC models. Maybe that accounts for the difference in 'get-up-and-go'?

I test rode all bikes as they were released, and have test ridden various models back to back.
Sure the 1200's and 8V's have more power, but the short stroke Bellagio has such a sweet engine. Once I rode it I knew I would one day own one.

OCMD causes me to play and change things but the heart remains.

In the end, horsepower only helps in a straight line, you can't use it in a corner. Tight mountains are my hang out of choice so ultimate BHP is never high on my list of priorities. But I will seek lightness and suspension improvements.

The Bellagio is the do everything bike, with the added advantage of being very modifyable, you can alter the styling dramatically with relative ease.

Will said:
When the Griso first came out I noticed in the specification that the primary ratio between the engine & gearbox was different to the other CARC models. Maybe that accounts for the difference in 'get-up-and-go'?

The pushrod engined bikes and the 8 valvers have different gearboxes. I believe that all the 8V's use the same ratios.

Pete

I had read the same thing relating to the two valve CARC bikes, that the Griso had a lower final drive ratio then the Norge and Breva. I don't know if that is correct and if it is I don't know if it is the rear drive or final drive in the thrans that is different. But that is something I read.
As to which bike to chose, that depends on what you want. Guzzi does not sell a sportbike at the moment, but each of their current offerings has a unique flavor none the less.
The Griso is almost a sportbike, it handles well for its size. If it was not so large it might be the sportbike of the line up. The 8 valve version is even better then the original 1100 that I have.
The Breva and Sport are basically the same bike but the sport is like a GT trim level of the Breva. It is sporty, not sport.
The Bellagio is not one I have ridden but it looks like a great alternative to a run of the mill cruiser. I am not a crusier guy, though. But I still think it is interesting.
In the end you first need to decide if a Guzzi is right for you. They require a higher level of commitment and a willingness to deal with problems that you might not run into with a more conventional choice. But then again, they can provide a satisfaction of ownership that more conventional choices can't.
If a Guzzi is right for you then it comes down to which one speaks to you. I don't consider owning a Guzzi a rational choice so trying to determine which one is right for you using rational thinking doesn't seem right. I focus on whether or not it speaks to me.
I bought my Griso without even riding one. I had ridden a Breva and it did not speak to me. I also own the first Guzzi I have ever ridden, a Daytona a friend bought new and I rode it that day and told him if he ever sells it.....

Final drive ratios in all CARC's are the same. Pushrod CARC bikes have different primaries. As I said I think all of the 8V's use the same gearing front to back but I'll double check at some point.

Pete

To original poster,
I own a Griso 8V, but have never ridden the others you mentioned. As to my Griso. I love it, and if I was riding your distance it would be a great bike to ride and very fun. I have ridden 350+ miles in a day and feel no discomfort on the stock seat or bars. The engine is great. Only small complaint is distance on a tank of gas. About 140 miles. Pretty slim for a 4 gallon. Best of luck with your choice.

Considerations;
I went from a well sorted Cali Stone that turned really well in tight mountains, to a Ducati Hypermotard and back to Bella as I have Mandello marrow in my bones. No comparison as the Hyper is totally psycho and a bike that has more capability than most people comprehend.

If you want sports bike type handling response, all Guzzi's will respond to fettling. A better rear shock, increased rear ride height, revalved/sprung front, choice of tyres etc.

The point I wish to make is this, on paper all Guzzi's look fat, slow and dull. Overweight, underpowered, overpriced and definately under rated. On the road they are easy to ride, give exceedingly high levels of satisfaction and enjoyment, and at the end of the day are surprisingly quick point to point, even in stock trim.

The quick factor is only relevant if you have an ego problem and need to beat all your riding buddies.

Apart from your power needs all Guzzi's will deliver in the ride and handling stakes. Yes they can be improved if you desire, but so can a CBR, a Busa, a BMW and every two wheeled creation on the planet.

I will ride Bella slower than my Hyper, but it will still be quick over the mount. My enjoyment is not getting there first, its just getting there with a bigger grin than anybody else. :D :D :D After the long ride home the smiles are still there.
You can get it touring. :D
You can get it fanging. :D
You can even get it commuting. :D
In fact, I got it now. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the feedback

Pete to quote you
The Bellagio has the wrong tank and inferior suspension, (This is apparently being addressed with the new model which hasn't got to Oz yet.)
could I please ask
what's wrong with the tank?
is\would a suspension upgrade available\possible?
when/what is the new model proposed release? and will it have a pushrod engine?

but in agreement with
The Griso has the best suspension and brakes, the stiffest frame and a lot of 'Get-up-and-go'

Guzzimoto; as to
They require a higher level of commitment and a willingness to deal with problems that you might not run into with a more conventional choice.
had a MK3 for 22 years (sold 06) plus rebuild and sold a MK2 whilst owning the Mk3

Regards

Tuono

Griso 8V is real nice but the shortest stroke big block guzzi ever made is a really sweet donk...
Pete's view of the bellagio tank is an aesthetic one, which I can sympathise with, and I'm not a fan of the twin lafranconis either.. but the motor is a hoot and the suspension set up well is fine - light years ahead of my mk3
2-up the bellagio is fine though you will need the 'comfort' seat not the original like mine..

The 1200 Sport is not a great tourer or a great sport bike but it does both well enough for me. I have the 2 valve and love it. Will flat eat up the miles effortlessly. Perfect for back roads.

Spend a few bucks on fueling mods and it runs perfectly.

Tuono said:
I do just over a hundred kms a day back and forth to work with a fair bit of two up riding on the weekend
Might want to put your passenger on the bikes and get her/his perspective.
I love my 2V Griso, but I don't think the pillion accomodations look too comfortable.

Back