• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

leak oil joint carter

guzzicrazy

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi, this leak is common in our model, thanks to support the motorcycle with the kickstand. This is supported between the engine block and the intermediate flange, making due to the weight side can leak through the seal. the bike has 3 years and 10 months and that the first faith.

Here I show you some pictures of the execution of works and a few surprises I encountered

oil leak:

vaciadoaceitefuga.jpg

supporting the bike on the wall

motoapoyada.jpg

motoapoyada1.jpg

disassemble the protector

protegerescape.jpg

colecteur disassemble the left to access the side stand.

tuboescapedesmontado.jpg

Remove the outer holes 14 and the interior has 4 odds capacity oil filter, the 4 holes do not tell the paper shop, and I DESPERATE because I do not know they existential:!:

carterdesmontado.jpg

clean the crankcase and filters inside because I find iron filings and a lot of mud :!:

filtroaceitelargo.jpg

restosvirutasyagua3.jpg

restosvirutasyaguacarte.jpg

According to my mechanic this normal, and it has Devue fondition is not perfect.

cigueal1.jpg

ciguealg.jpg

mount joint news and ride :D

Maybe I need to enlarge the pictures because I don't see the oil leak you speak of. Exactly what problem do you have?

Happy New Year,

Mark

Chicago Mark said:
Maybe I need to enlarge the pictures because I don't see the oil leak you speak of. Exactly what problem do you have?

Happy New Year,

Mark

....at de firts pick, the upper joint in this corner of view. The leak at first is minimum, when past de days increased a lot. The support the kickstand is one screws anchored to the engine block and the other two screws below the intermediate flange between the engine block and gearbox.

Did the tappets fail on your bike? If so that'll be where the lumps in the sump are from.

The 'Mud' you describe is most likely water that hs condensed and formed mayonaise. From memory your bike doesn't do many long trips does it?

As for removing the sump?f you are unsure ASK before attempting it. I would strongly suggest finding a better, safer way of holding the bike upright while working on it to!

Pete

When you take the pan off of anything, you will find things you might not like. This is not extraordinary. The rough surfaces on the crank cheeks; I have no idea about that condition.
I wish you had put dye in the engine oil to see exactly where the leak is coming from. Now you will hve to speculate as to what to do. Replace what gaskets you think are the culprit(s) and reassemble.
Pete is right, you are cruisin' for a bruisin' with the bike like that. Do you have anyone that can loan you a stand?
p.s. Use a small dab of silicone sealer at corner mounting edges only.

pete roper said:
Did the tappets fail on your bike? If so that'll be where the lumps in the sump are from.

Yes, it was repaired with 1000 kms of new tappets B. ... while doing a check of the clearance the right cylinder exhaust valves were 0.2, the rest was perfect

The 'Mud' you describe is most likely water that hs condensed and formed mayonaise. From memory your bike doesn't do many long trips does it?

if Yes, is like mayonaise, my trips are typically 15 km to my work and back every day 15. Occasionally makes a way out of Sunday, no more than 150 kms. But it is very rare with only 1000 kms and two long distances of 100 and 150 km, having changed the oil and performing other work cleaning waste oil, forming much mayonnaise. In winter form more, in summer dont make.

As for removing the sump?f you are unsure ASK before attempting it. I would strongly suggest finding a better, safer way of holding the bike upright while working on it to!

I called my mechanic, and I told him that he could not get the sump I mean the screws next to the oil filter, not seen. I do not want mechanical intervention, I'm not mechanical nor do I have the right tools, but my mechanic told me it was easy and to do so.
You are right that is not how to work safely, but it was the recommendation in the absence of media, which gave me my mechanic.

Pete

gstallons said:
When you take the pan off of anything, you will find things you might not like. This is not extraordinary. The rough surfaces on the crank cheeks; I have no idea about that condition.
I wish you had put dye in the engine oil to see exactly where the leak is coming from. Now you will hve to speculate as to what to do. Replace what gaskets you think are the culprit(s) and reassemble.
Pete is right, you are cruisin' for a bruisin' with the bike like that. Do you have anyone that can loan you a stand?
p.s. Use a small dab of silicone sealer at corner mounting edges only.

I told my mechanic to put besides Nural 28 (silicone). and he gave me was not necessary, and the truth is that it has returned to leak from the same place. I will need to remove and put silicone.

in fact came from the factory that he had made ​​by black silicone joints two faces, .....is my impresion when i remove :roll:

Loctite makes an anaerobic gasket maker. Part # 518. I use it where there is no gasket.I don't know if you are using gasket on the mating surfaces? This stuff is used on perfectly dry mating surfaces and it is GREAT !

Well I was wrong. The leak is inside the clutch..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

fugaaceiteenbrague.jpg

fugaretencigueal.jpg

is for as i change de gaskets to sump and continue drain oil.

I thing this is ocosionate for vibrations when de tappets are losing material.. :roll: look at this pictures:

24112011575.jpg

24112011578.jpg

These tappets were made in February 2011 and only did 4000 kms. changed by the new B. ..... in November 2011

Flange leak is a warranty issue. The tappets appear to be the very early type. They haven't made those for years. Compare them to pics of the later types V2 and V3 and you'll see it looks like you have been given old stock.

old type

3481436195_39c253fc12_z.jpg

New type on left, old type on right

5199667159_c3657367b2_z.jpg

There is no readily discernable difference between the V2 and V3 tappets but to even a casual eye it is obvious that your 'Replacements' are of the early V1 type superceeded in 2009. I suggest you take it up with the dealer who supplied the parts.

Pete

pete roper said:
Flange leak is a warranty issue. The tappets appear to be the very early type. They haven't made those for years. Pete
Pete i understand you is possible Guzzi pay de repair in warranty? my griso have 3 years and 10 months now.

if you are right for the tappets, its incredible, how is possible de new dealer in spain have de old tappets, this new distributor is from 2010 wiht Guzzi in Spain!
the picture is de tappets, from recall, the surface are special tractmen, after replace for de pics before
arbolesdelevasdesgastad.jpg

katacrak said:
Well I was wrong. The leak is inside the clutch..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

fugaaceiteenbrague.jpg

fugaretencigueal.jpg

Well, here you go...
You have the oil leak I had at around 8000 miles with mine.
It's the main seal flange bolts that are the culprit...
They're too long and after a while it causes the gasket to fail at sealing properly.
There is a thread with pictures, floating around about that issue.
It should be covered under warranty. Was for me.
Good luck.

katacrak said:
pete roper said:
Flange leak is a warranty issue. The tappets appear to be the very early type. They haven't made those for years. Pete
Pete i understand you is possible Guzzi pay de repair in warranty? my griso have 3 years and 10 months now.

if you are right for the tappets,

I'm right about the tappets.

The leak is caused by a too long bolt and poorly machined flange meaning in o-ring around a dowel can't seal. The fix requires removal of the flange for machining but over here it has been a warrantable problem.

Pete

pete roper said:
I'm right about the tappets.

The leak is caused by a too long bolt and poorly machined flange meaning in o-ring around a dowel can't seal. The fix requires removal of the flange for machining but over here it has been a warrantable problem.

Pete

I sent some photos of Piaggio in Spain, along with a written complaint about the actions of the current importer in Spain. Apparently, these tappets are new arrivals were from Italy, for your business, and sent the old ones they had in stock

Pete on the subject of the technical note gives the flange of the clutch, you can send me a copy of MP. thanks

It's just happened to me too!

I thought I would balance my cylinders again, because it was seeming a bit vibey. When I had just about finished, I noticed oil on the floor of the shed. I looked underneath the bike and found oil all around the sump and some around that side plug. I took a few pictures, but they are not worth posting as they look just the same as the ones earlier in this thread and in other threads about the Griso 8V and Stelvio Main Seals.

My bike is a 2008 8V, engine number A512923 and therefore I suspect an early one, and certainly well out of warranty. It's done 14,000 miles.

The dealer that I bought the bike from is no longer a Guzzi dealer (and I wouldn't trust them anyway). The next nearest dealer is 70 miles away, but has only recently become a Guzzi dealer and has a poor reputation. After that I am looking at 160miles, and even then I am not sure how experienced their current mechanics are as they have recently moved! In fact following the recent shake-up in UK Guzzi dealers, I am not sure who to trust. I cannot even find any online guzzi parts/tools for sale in the UK anymore.

Anyway, this leads me to the questions:

• Could a local competent independant motorbike mechanic be able to do the required work, or does it really need to be a main dealer? I can provide the mechanic with the service manual and copies of the relevant threads from here.

Would some of the special tools be required and, if so, which ones? I can see which ones are listed in the Service manual, but I am not clear which are required - I think two of them even have the same description!

Should I get them to just fix shorter bolts/mill out the O-ring groove to 1.5mm/fit a new seal -
    or get a new flange?

Could anyone supply me with the information that Moto Guzzi have issued about this problem (via PM or otherwise)?

It would be a lot easier/cheaper to get the bike transported 10 miles and fixed locally than to a dealer.

Thanks
David

Just a quick update,
my nearest dealer was George White's - who have just gone bust! So 160 miles to my nearest dealer.
Maybe I should have bought a Honda - I have friends recommending I get a Blackbird instead!

Regards,
David

There is nothing magical, mystical, or even complex, about a Moto Guzzi. Any competent mechanic or owner should be able to work one one. The key is finding a mechanic who will takes his time and do a good job and not rush the job. That would apply to having a Honda worked on as much as a Guzzi. Yea, it is harder to find a Guzzi dealer then a Honda dealer, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Honda. But that is part of the point about buying a Guzzi. They are not main stream. There is a service manual posted on this site, take a look through there and see what the job involves. Then either do it yourself or find a Mechanic you trust (whether he is at a dealer or not is besides the point once the bike is out of warranty) and have him do it.
Other then checking with Pete for some pointers, that is about it I think.
Best of luck.

One of the biggest issues for people in the UK and most of Europe is simply not having anywhere to work on their bikes. In the UK a house with a garage, much less a heated one, is a real rarity and adds substantially to the cost of a property. For us who live in huge countries with a comparatively low population density and commensurate low land prices it is something easy to overlook.

There are some special tools required for clutch and flywheel removal and replacement too. Yes, you can probably work around them but they make the job a lot easier and will add sustantially to cost.

It might be worth approaching one of the more respected dealers WRT a warranty claim even though the machine is out of warranty but given the management situation in the UK I wouldn't be holding your breath....

Pete

gulveal said:
Just a quick update,
my nearest dealer was George White's - who have just gone bust! So 160 miles to my nearest dealer.
Maybe I should have bought a Honda - I have friends recommending I get a Blackbird instead!

Regards,
David

I think you're right...
Please your friends first and be completely original, buy a Honda.

I have arranged to take it down to a local, highly recommended, mechanic who has owned Moto Guzzis.

I will wait and see what is wrong and then maybe chase MG UK about parts, etc.

I have only got an unheated shed and it is the middle of winter - though to be fair not actually icy or anything.
I did consider having a go my self, but It seemed like it would be jumping in at the deep end. I had planned to do the next service myself, and I do seem to have a habit of breaking things! The thought of taking so much of the bike apart and getting it all back together properly, with my lack of experience, was too much.

Of course I love my Griso, but it can be infuriating dealing with these niggles and lack of good dealers. I don't suppose a Honda would be as much fun. Besides I'm a poser - what else looks so nice?

Regards,
David

Back