• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dirt Road Norge?? Thoughts

sbaker

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hello;

Anyone here thinking about talking their Norge on a longer packed dirt / packed gravel trip.. If so what tire recommendations would you make??

Thanks !

Sam

I would say the ones mounted on a Stelvio. But other than that, the size of the rear wheel limits the tire you can put on, and i didn't see any off road tires that would mate successfully on the rear wheel. I'd try for a street tire with as open a tread as I could find. Also not expensive as the rocks on the gravel roads will probably chew them up quite a bit. Probably something like the Shinko Ravens http://www.swmototires.com/index.php?pa ... &Itemid=53

You are a brave man, Sam ... a brave man. :laugh:

Actually, I probably have a couple hundred+ gravel- and dirt- (and a couple of muddy rut and ford) roads under my Norge, but I chose not a one. GPS and poor land-nav skills got me there every time ... well, that and following Wayne Orwig. :woohoo:

And, I have to say,other than my terror at the time, the Norge is -- for a tupperware slab queen -- oddly fine on those rough surfaces. It always "feels" top heavy to me when doing parking-lot stuff or when putting it on the lift, but on all sorts of roads, conditions, and speeds, it's just fine. Ain't me, I assure you.

One quick recent story, then I'll let those who know what they are talking in tires about post, but I was going way too fast on a straight-as-an-arrow back road north of Geneseo last fall, fully loaded, and rocking along on one of those grand October days. Then without any warning whatsover, the road went to gravel. No signs, no transition, just OH SHIX, I'm gonna crash. Nope. Throttle maintenance decel, and she was fine. I had to bury my underwear at the scene. :whistle:

So, where you going?

Bill

Hi All;

Well one of the guys I ride with is looking at an Arctic Circle Trip in 2013... I have a 2012 Norge queued up ... So I really don't want a Stelvio I don't like the "high-up" position of it, the Tiger, Multi-Strata, KLR etc. So I am thinking that with the right tires a Norge would probably do ok. No Firm route yet... Perhaps stay on the Canadian side and get as far north as possible.

Looking at the Alaska Trip pix from this thread, by Bisbonian, It looks like a Norge would be ok on the road he encountered...

We are still very much in the planning / concept stage, but it is potentially a great adventure...

Yes Bill.... Brave?? na?? maybe foolish!! Yes many underwear graves scattered across the countrysides!

Bill, last year I had an experience similar to yours: I was taking a documented shortcut on sealed roads (thank Google Maps!) when the black stuff turned into brown stuff while I was doing over 100 kph. Immediately things spring to mind: it rained last night; this brown stuff has just been graded; I am going way too fast; if I stop and turn around I will have to unpack the bike just to pick it up;

Common sense prevailed and I brought the speed back to 80-90 kph for the rest of the dirty stuff, including some wet bits - the Sport worked fine - well balanced provided you didn't do anything silly.

took a fair bit of elbow grease to remove the dirt after is was baked on for more than 2000 km though.

Enjoy the trip - you should be fine...

I haven't owned a dirt bike for many years but I've always enjoyed riding my roadbikes on decent dirt and gravel roads when necessary. I think the next best thing to a dirtbike on these roads is a Guzzi because of the big fat low/mid range torque. If the roads you're going to be on are similar to ours downunder humming along in third or fourth at around 80 kmh is just bliss.

Good luck

I have the Conti Trail Attacks fitted to my Triumph Scrambler, they are a great tarmac and hard packed graverl tire, I think they are rated 80 tarmac 20 dirt.

Hi. .Thanks for all the comments... Looks like it might not be as intimidating as it first sounds.!

It's interesting that you post this question. I've been looking for a tire that would give good street performance, work well on wet roads, work well on dirt roads and trails and get good mileage. I have actually been doing a lot of reading "months" and came up with what I think is the best for what I have listed above. It's the Michelin Anakee II, (NOT the old original Anakee) here is a link to the tire. http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index ... nt=anakee2
The tire has Silica in place of carbon, here is a link about it.
http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index ... ogy.silica
I don't know what size tires your bike uses but the sizes are listed in the first link although they may now have other sizes. I would definitely go with the radial tires. The longer tread life and better wet road performance to me is a real plus.

Al

Hi al74dart

Thanks for the suggestion, the Norge has 17" tires front and rear.. Seems the Michlen is only 19 front... it was a good suggestion.. good luck with your research. If you find a 17" I would be interested.

If you could change to an 18" or 19" wheel for the trip the bike would be brilliant.
It is more to do with a skinny front tyre steers better on loose surfaces. Tread pattern is not so important unless you are pushing it or riding mud/snow.

Hi Ghezzi...

Interesting idea... Have to look at implications... Handling Geometry, Fenders, brakes... hard road handling.. ??? An 18 might fit.....

If it is going Narrow... then perhaps a narrow 18" ... have to do some looking...

Great thoughts all!

SBaker, whatever you choose you will need a tire change when you get here. I would make arrangements to put more aggressive tires on when you get up here. July and August are typically rainy making the mud roads hell. Try to get a good long range forecast. The only bad roads these days are the Dalton , Denali and Top of the World highways. If you want a more scenic curvy road take the Cassiar on the way up after the Icefields parkway in western Alberta. I have a garage shop in Anchorage where you can change tires/oil if you want.
Regards
Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks for the more detailed information! And for the offer of the garage for changing and oil.... Great advice to pre-stage some tires and most likely some 10/60 oil and filters etc, somewhere up there...

As i listed it's a thought for next year, 2013, so there will be lots future discussions I am sure!

Thanks...

Back