• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Starting Click Help

Smoothy

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have had an intermitant problem starting until know as it will nolonger start.

Pressing start button - hear relay click in and thats it.
I thought it was starter solenoid, stripped regreased and tried 12V supply directly to solenoid switch terminal - no problem actuated as it should.

I then thought it must be the battery as it was only putting out 11.8V to the solenoid switch terminal from the relay + it wasn't holding its charge for long.

Just fitted new battery - same issue, battery voltage 13.4V :)
12.2V through to solenoid switch terminal. Put my meter inline, current draw was only 0.2 amp.
I am thinking it could be the starter relay?

Any suggestions

Mike

Check the battery ground strap connection on the side of the Starter Motor and then there is this, wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=48127.0

Smoothy said:
Just fitted new battery - same issue, battery voltage 13.4V :)
12.2V through to solenoid switch terminal. Put my meter inline, current draw was only 0.2 amp.
I am thinking it could be the starter relay?

Are you seeing 12.2V at the small starter solenoid terminal measured to the housing of the starter? If that is what you are saying, then the starter solenoid is bad. That is very rare. You can prove that by simply jumpering positive to the terminal at the starter (in neutral of course).

There were some bikes with a poor ground at the block. Also, on the Norge and Breva there were a lot of issues with the solenoid feed passing through multiple fuses, connectors and the ignition switch resulting in too low a feed to kick the solenoid. That is what Kiwi Dave is pointing out.

Hi
Thought I would give an update.
After reading the earlier link about wire resistance issues I tried adding a 12v bridging cable to 12V relay switched terminal to remove this issue. No change - click and nothing, must be the relay.
I then removed the starter relay and its neighbour to check the resistance of the actuated switch contacts.
Obviously applying 12V across the coil the resistance of the starter solenoid was 100 Ohms - it's neighbour 4 Ohms.
I stripped the relay casing off and cleaned the switch contacts.
Back together and tried it.

Started straight away.
Obviously the bad contact relay was the problem.
Will carry a spare from know on. :cheer:
Mike

Thought I had fixed it.
Click Click :cry: :cry:

Checked all connections from relays + gear sollector switch, clutch swith, side stand switch.
Could find nothing wrong. All operated correctly.

Purchased a 12V 20A relay, wired the solenoid switching feed to the relay coil.
Fused relay switched feed to the solenoid.
Sorted that out.

Have noticed on the odd occasion the start button can be pressed and a 2 or 3 second delay can occur before it clicks in - must be a resistance or possible ECU problem!
The main thing is it starts.

Shall wait for it to stop again and bypass the starter relay completely.
Very Odd and Annoying.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm having a similar problem with my 1990 BMW R100GS....just the relay clicking nothing else.
The battery is fully charged, I've changed starter relay 3 times, I've put new HiCap battery leads on, the starter motor(Valeo) has been off and tested by an auto electrician who reckons it's OK. There's plenty of juice to the starter motor.
I took the motor off again and connected it to another battery, and excited the solenoid with a wire from the + terminal on the S/motor to a small spade connector on the solenoid body (this spade connection has a wire from the bikes loom normally attached to it which gives it 12+volt when the ignition is on and the starter button is pressed) The problem I have is that when the S/M is back on the bike and the wire connected to the spade nothing happens except the relay clicking.
I feel that my problem is with either the solenoid or the the starter button or possibly ignition switch circuitry.
I hope this info may help you diagnose your issue, in the meantime I'll be cussing and shouting at my Beemer in the garage in the desperate hope it will suddenly burst into life. :D

fatal said:
I'm sorry if it seems I'm hijacking this thread, but I'm having a similar problem with my 1990 BMW R100GS....just the relay clicking nothing else.
The battery is fully charged, I've changed starter relay 3 times, I've put new HiCap battery leads on, the starter motor(Valeo) has been off and tested by an auto electrician who reckons it's OK. There's plenty of juice to the starter motor.
I took the motor off again and connected it to another battery, and excited the solenoid with a wire from the + terminal on the S/motor to a small spade connector on the solenoid body (this spade connection has a wire from the bikes loom normally attached to it which gives it 12+volt when the ignition is on and the starter button is pressed) The problem I have is that when the S/M is back on the bike and the wire connected to the spade nothing happens except the relay clicking.
I feel that my problem is with either the solenoid or the the starter button or possibly ignition switch circuitry.
I hope this info may help you diagnose your issue, in the meantime I'll be cussing and shouting at my Beemer in the garage in the desperate hope it will suddenly burst into life. :D

Have you checked for 12 Volts at the wire from the loom that goes to the solenoid when you press the starter button? From your description I'm not clear on what you did with the starter off.

John's question applies to the BMW and the Guzzi.
Measure from ground to the small terminal at the starter when you press the start button. We need to know how much, if any, power is getting to the starter solenoid. This is a known issues on the Guzzi CARC bikes.

Back