• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Throttle Cruise

Thanks for the responses guys. It doesn't appear there is any technical reason why a CC could not be used on the Stelvio.

Wayne, I can understand why you don't install/use a CC if your roads do not allow for significant distances at a constant speed. I probably would not either. However, I live out here in the Great Middle and frequently when I'm on the road, I'm able to run 20,30,40,50 miles without altering my speed. A CC is very nice to have under those circumstances.

Mi_ka, these CC units are no different in operating principle than we have in our automobiles. They maintain a set speed by sensing an input signal and pulling or slacking off a connection to the throttle bodies of the engine. They can be shut off manually with a switch or automatically by touching the brake pedal or pulling the brake lever.

The Rostra and Audiovox are different in how they operate -- Rostra uses electric stepper motors, Audiovox uses vacuum -- but conceptually they're the same. The input signal on my Wee-Strom is from the bike speed pickup wire, on my C-14 it was from #1 cylinder spark plug. In both cases, the shut-off is from the wire to the rear brake light.

Once again guys, thanks for your input.

Being an electronics guy I am aware of the technical stuff
BUT
I am afraid of possible conditions that can be dangerous on a bike while pretty safe for a car.
For example having the CC holding the throttle wide open on a highway uphill and then going over a bad invisible bump you did not see or maybe some spilled oil. Things can get out of control faster than you send the cancel signal through the brake or other lever.
In my opinion, the CC system should be able to "cancel" upon sensing different throttle opening than its maps - that is, upon you move the throttle reacting to something feeling wrong.
Do they function on such principles?
What are the "cancel" sources?

Mi_ka,

You're asking questions that I'm not prepared/capable to answer. The CC systems I've purchased in the past have handled all of these unique operational situations (if they've occurred) without problems (I've run 10's of thousands of miles without problems) and I've not been put in harm's way. If you believe that something in the basic design of any of these units will place you in danger, don't put one on your bike. This is really a very easy decision.

However, if I buy a Stelvio at some time in the future, you can bet the farm on the fact that I'm going to install some sort of CC on it for my long distance travelling.

Fair enough.
If I would be designing a CC system I would make it look for abrupt rpm surging as a "cancel" source.
Maybe even some g sensor along with some inclination sensor.
The fact is that I love CC on a car but I am afraid of it on a bike.

Mi_ka said:
If I would be designing a CC system I would make it look for abrupt rpm surging as a "cancel" source.

Most car units kick off if the engine revs up/wheels spin from over slipping. I assume the bike unit would also.
I know that you can get them from the factory on Goldwings at least, so Honda feels it can be done without risk.
And the operator is supposed to know enough to only use it on a straight well paved roads, not a twisty pothole filled gravel road. Besides, a little rear tire spin can make the day interesting. :twisted:

John Henry installed one on a Norge. He used a vacuum operated one I believe, from Audiovox I'm sure.
He had a little trouble getting it to work correctly with the Norge LED brake light. The Stelvio LED brake light is designed totally differently, and should not be an issue. not sure where you can hide the vacuum can on the Stelvio.
Wonder if the electronic one has a smaller motor?

Wayne Orwig said:
Most car units kick off if the engine revs up/wheels spin from over slipping.
Never experienced it. Pretty difficult for me to have the 1.5 Impreza wheel spinning on CC... :S

Wayne Orwig said:
I know that you can get them from the factory on Goldwings at least, so Honda feels it can be done without risk.
I am pretty sure a factory installed CC is well studied out but what about the add-on units?
Do they provide the provisions for similar ECU integration?
This is what scares me, the odd little thing going wrong under speed and making the CC dangerous because of lack of integration to the rest of the engine management /vehicle dynamics system.

I first put a cruise on my Concours 15 years ago, then immediatly added one to the V-strom that replaced it in '03. The only things keping me from putting one on Stella is the unreasonable difficulty in getting the tank off and a lack of space to put the parts (though I think the cowl where the charcoal cannister used to be may be a good choice). If someone else figures the packaging out first, I may still do it.

Keith

kmartin said:
I first put a cruise on my Concours 15 years ago, then immediately added one to the V-strom that replaced it in '03. The only things keeping me from putting one on Stella is the unreasonable difficulty in getting the tank off and a lack of space to put the parts (though I think the cowl where the charcoal cannister used to be may be a good choice). If someone else figures the packaging out first, I may still do it.

Keith

Keith,

More than likely you used an Audiovox on your C-10. Probably the same on your Vee. The Audiovox requires a vacuum canister to be mounted someplace on the bike since vacuum is the force that operates/actuates the throttle mechanism. The other one that's currently available is the Rostra. The Rostra uses electric stepper motors to operate the throttle mechanism.

I had an Audiovox on my '08 Kawa Concours C-14 and now have a Rostra on my '09 Wee-Strom and will probably use the Rostra for any of my future bikes. It's easier to install (no vacuum canister), less complicated to operate and is not altered in it's function by changes in altitude.

If I end up with a Stelvio late next Summer ('12), it'll have a Rostra Cruise on it before I head to the roads, probably the same unit that is on my Wee. Long distance touring without Cruise would really be a major pain.

KISS - keeping it simple :lol: works

On my lemans I rode 700+ miles days with throttlemeister - simple - friction on. Simple. My hand would usually be quite near the throttle anyway - I could always shut it off quickly or quickly dethrottle with a twist of the wrist.

Next best but simpler is the throttle grip clamp described above too IMHI- simple. Same friction only visible. Quickly throttle off with twisting throttle down.

Both are simple and effective. Anything more involved might be found in a cage ;)

Advantage of the throttlemeister is it doesn't show! The grip clamp shows but is way less $$. After buying the exhaust I'm cashed out a bit so I'll buy the $20 grip clamp and report back on how it works :evil:

Here is a tip for long distance motorway riding to save pain in the throttle hand/wrist. I took two O rings approx 0.125" (1/8 of an inch) in thickness and approx 37mm diameter and placed one at each end of the throttle grip. One sits between the grip and the bar end weight and the other between the end of the grip and the throttle cable body and starter/light switch. This provides just enough friction to allow the throttle to stay open with your right palm resting on it for motorway riding, relieving the strain on your wrist. Once off the motorway you simply remove the one between the bar end weight and grip, sliding it along the grip to the other end for use later.

I have the NEP on mine. pretty much the same as the Vista Cruise. Cheap, easy, and it works well. Of course it is a throttle lock rather than a true cruise control.

Zoom Zoom,
John Henry

I paid the $20 US for the Go Cruise Throttle Lock - works as advertised - simple friction grip. BUT - myk speed really fluctuates with it - way more than with the Throttlemeister - I did not install the included o-ring gasket to make the grip tighter - could use that maybe. Overall impression is it is just ok - I get some relief on my right wrist but I do have keep adjusting.

Back