• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bellagio Oil Level

ghezzi

High Miler
GT Contributor
Well I just got my sump baffle plate/windage tray from Motomoda (Peter Roper)

After every weekend ride I would remove the plug from the air box drain tube and Bella would do a little red wee, usually a teaspoon or so. Last serviced at 16,000k (it was written on the old filter), I purchased the bike with about 17,000k and the oil level was down about a third. By 19,000k the oil was down to the bottom mark as indicated in the photo below.

ALL LEVELS ARE TAKEN WITH THE DIP STICK SCREWED FULLY IN - and bike on a workshop stand. ENGINE COLD allowing the oil to fully drain and settle in the sump.

I captured and measured the oil I drained, plus the contents of the sump and filter, allowing for the bit I couldn't get there was approx 2.5 litres of oil in the bike with the oil just making the "low level" at 20mm from the bottom tip of the dip stick.

You can see the 'V' (45mm from bottom of stick) I filed in the dipstick to represent my new perceived oil level of 2.7 litres after the engine had been run and allowed to settle for ten minutes.. Looking thru the dipstick hole (with a torch) you could see the oil was just lapping the plate.
Dipsticklevel008.jpg

This photo shows the 45mm of dipstick that protrudes thru the windage tray.
Dipsticklevel006.jpg

So starting with my new oil, Penrite Sin 10 (10w/70) set at a level of 2.7 litres I will see how expulsion goes with the new windage tray.

Ps. I fill the new filter with oil before fitting. Remove outer spark plugs, attach to the leads and rest them on the head. I then turn the engine over for 15 sec to fill the oil galleries and make sure I have full oil pressure when I start the motor. I will run it for 30 seconds and then check the level and top up.

Did you try the flame trap mod in the breather pipe to stop the oil going into the filter box?

To produce a bike that oils spews out of from new is bad and i know it has put people off Bellagios and Moto Guzzi. other guzzi's have this drain pipe blocked. It does not happen on all Bella's though. Drop Andrej or 940V a line as they have the plate fitted to their Bellagios.

I wouldn't say oil spews out of my bike, just a teaspoon full ends up in the air box after a few hundred klm's of fun riding.

Can you shoot me a link to the flame trap mod, please.
Have been told of using air con foam.

No mine does not spew out oil but it is the first vehicle in many years to drip oil!

Anyway with credit to the Motor Guzzi GB Bellagio banter thread

From DaveR
One or two fellow Bellagio owners have asked how I fixed my oil spill. Here's a copy of my post of September 2010 ...

Hi all

Good to see the Bellagio thread still going strong, well done guys, particularly 940v, how do you do it D4?

Have been watching with interest the developments on the oil loss from the breather pipe issue, as my own Black Bess is prone to this also, although after a lifetime of Brit bike ownership I guess I'm probably conditioned into acceptance of this phenomenon, but I can understand the other guys feelings on this
Anyway, as an old git with 30+ years experience in the motor trade I can remember back in the 70's Fiat having a similar problem with their Strada, 126, Panda etc. This was addressed by the insertion into the main breather hose of a flame trap (looks a bit like a miniature lavatory brush!).
Upon contacting my friendly Fiat dealer I found this part still available under part no. 4400432 at the heady price of £5.99 inc. vat. I inserted said flame trap into the large bore hose from the crankcase to the collector box just below the steering head and oil loss was instantly reduced, not stopped, but reduced. I then bought another flame trap and inserted that one in the other end of the hose, oil loss is now virtually zero. Engine breathing is not affected due to the spiral nature of the trap.
After a good thrash the odd drip maybe.
I run my bike on Agip 10-60 fully synthetic just below the max mark on the dipstick with the stick screwed in. I have no catch tank or baffle plate fitted. hell, now I even run it with the tube unplugged!
All the best guys, hope this helps, phew!

Dave R

Yeah Pete offered me a windage plate some time back but I never took him up on it..

I've read many people have had oil drips from their Bellagios though mine has never done it except once when over filled.. Mine was run in fairly hard - actually very hard with many oil and filter changes in the early days.

My Stone used oil for the first 50,000k ................................ then I did a track day and it stopped.
Using oil that is .... :)

Speaking of stopping, sports bike riders commented on my late braking. I confessed I was having trouble making the apex at turn 1, even though I had been using the same breaking marker all day.

The main straight was heading East, I used a tree's shadow. Doh!!! With the setting sun ..................... :oops:

:D

I'm no valentino rossi.. but I do recall Roper telling me to mix up the rev range on the ride back to Sydney and "basically thrash it!" I wasn't hitting the rev limiter but I wasn't babying it either.. there was (or is) a theory that the bellagios that leaked had been run in too gently?

Last night I let the remaining red (motul) drain from my air box, too lazy to pull tank and clean out from the inside.

Just been for a 180k run round the back and up Mt Glorious for lunch, where I met Morizzi and a few other Guzzisti.

On the way home I played with the Max speed recorder in each gear at the limiter, when I got home I couldn't get one drop of oil out of the hose. Now filled with 2.7 litres of golden coloured Penrite Sin10, with Mr Ropers baffle plate.

Interestingly max speed each gear;
1st: 68kph @ approx 8,300rpm
2nd: 105
3rd: 140
4th: 170
5th: 197kph (max recorded)
6th: ? These ol' eye balls bouncing around inside me head, wifout me reading specs is a bit hard to see. I would hit the limiter, back off and change up, take some time to squint and read then go again. Hence life got a bit busy in the office when I spent more time not watching where I was going.

Will tap it out in top one day and note the max speed reached when I get home, bit safer me finks. :geek:
The ease and speed it took to get from 170k to 197k in 5th gear, I think it quite possible that Bella will reach an indicated 220kph (not actual) speed in top gear. My Stone was hard pressed to make 195 with similar mods.

Apart from all this topend bullshit, the sweet spot is still cruising at 110 - 120kph and surfing the mid range. :D :D :

Basic theory will tell you that separating the oil from the cyclonic forces within the crankcase and giving a surface that will allow surface tension to retain the oil flung off the crank rather than allowing it to churn the oil in the sump into an easily picled up froth will reduce the amount of particulate oil in the gas within the crankcase. Less particulate matter passing through the condensor box means it will have a better chance of doing its job and allowing a reduced amount of condensate to return to the engine without fuss.

Is it a 'Perfect Sollution'? No. But if it does the job for yer average road rider and prevents excessive oil expulsion and the messy results of same that's good enough for me.

Glad it works Wayne but I appreciate your caution in wanting to test the theory further.

Pete

Well Pete, I've let it sit for longer to let it drain out, plus done another 100k tonight and still the drain hose is bone dry.

The only way I can test it harder and further is a full day at the track, will let you know when that happens. :twisted:

Now, Griso shock fully revalved/resprung, front end same.
Gold line 4 spots. New pilot Power 3's.
Umm, head work, cam, Ti rocker gear, alloy flywheel ................ its just my weekend tourer officer, honest. :whistle:

Still waiting on delivery from Swaggz.
As shock is 7.5mm longer than ours, with a 3:1 rocker ratio it should increase rear ride height by 22.5mm, theoretically. Apparently.

Intentions are, fit Bella's pre-load adjuster to Griso shock.
Re-valve and re-spring Griso shock for me ......................

Will keep you all posted.

I realize that I'm coming in late on this thread but just to add to the size of the "survey sample". My Bella left a puddle after brisk riding. Did the air con foam thing which reduced the size of the spot. At 34,000km, it just stopped dropping oil??? I change every 5,000km with a negligible amount of consumption noted at each change. I don't baby it.

One thing I picked up on Ghezzi, was checking the oil with the stick screwed in. Page 71 of my owners manual says don't screw the dip stick in?? According to your measurements I must be overfilling.

From my fading memory my old bikes needed the stick screwed in so I just did the same with Bella.
Interestingly if you just dip it with the bike on the side stand you get a similar reading.

I assume this could be another case of a factory misprint. Follow their instructions to the letter and you will need 3.5 litres to reach the fill mark. Three Litres will reach the top mark, bike vertical, stick screwed in.

Whatever, I got 2.7 litres in mine currently.

ghezzi said:
Still waiting on delivery from Swaggz.
As shock is 7.5mm longer than ours, with a 3:1 rocker ratio it should increase rear ride height by 22.5mm, theoretically. Apparently.

Intentions are, fit Bella's pre-load adjuster to Griso shock.
Re-valve and re-spring Griso shock for me ......................

Will keep you all posted.

Please do :D

Hi,

First, I'm sorry about my poor English.

I'm looking for a plate like the one I've seen at the pictures, as I have the same problem of oil leaks, so, I wonder where I can buy it, or, at least, if it is possible to get a real size picture of it to make one by myself.

Best regards,

Javier

javision said:
Hi,

First, I'm sorry about my poor English.

I'm looking for a plate like the one I've seen at the pictures, as I have the same problem of oil leaks, so, I wonder where I can buy it, or, at least, if it is possible to get a real size picture of it to make one by myself.

Best regards,

Javier

Javier,

I would suggest getting one from Pete Roper. It would probably be less than making one yourself. You can PM him from this board. Also you could reduce your oil level slightly, even if using a windage tray. ghezzi is using 2.7 liters in the engine which should be plenty.

Back