• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Filter Options... CARC Guzzis

Greyo said:

You're missing the fact that it is not uncommon for Guzzi shop manuals to report info that is blatantly wrong.

Ok. Got it. Where are the correct torque specs on the 07 Griso posted? How can I get all 2007 Griso service bulletins and recalls?

-Jon

jdelv said:
Greyo said:
...You're missing the fact that it is not uncommon for Guzzi shop manuals to report info that is blatantly wrong.
Ok. Got it. Where are the correct torque specs on the 07 Griso posted? How can I get all 2007 Griso service bulletins and recalls?
I'm afraid there's no easy answer to your question; keep searching Guzzitech (and other reputable MG sites as well) for as much info as you can, evaluate it thoroughly, use common sense, and then draw your own conclusions...
Dealing with uncertainty is part of the Guzzi experience... welcome to the club ;)

jdelv said:

Just quickly read thru the article, using the search function 'cause I'm lazy. Read it again. It doesn't say that Fram is approved by Guzzi. In the body of the text it implies it is. There are other filter brands that list some guzzis as an application as well, I doubt that MG has approved them.

Those errors in the manuals suck!

John Z, I watched the linked video about Fram filters and other brands, this guy makes all the brands look the same; poor quality.

Why not just buy the right f@cking filter? It's not like you're going to need an 'Emergency' filter? Order your service requirements in a lump before you need them! Is that rocket science?

If you *really* need to save $2 per oil change should you really be riding an expensive Italian motobike?

Buy an Aprilia SR 50! It does 100Km/Litre and doesn't even need an oil filter! It's Italian though!!! :D

Pete

This happened to every motorcycle forum I went, from East to West, in all languages.

People debating in pages the use of compatible oil filters which they replace once or twice in a year. I start to believe that such act is not because of saving a dollar or two but the fun of debating and killing time on the internet.

The resources spent on this topic globally probably enough to build a spacecraft to the Mars, not to mention the oil thread :roll:

Phang

pete roper said:
Why not just buy the right f@cking filter? It's not like you're going to need an 'Emergency' filter? Order your service requirements in a lump before you need them! Is that rocket science?

If you *really* need to save $2 per oil change should you really be riding an expensive Italian motobike?

Buy an Aprilia SR 50! It does 100Km/Litre and doesn't even need an oil filter! It's Italian though!!! :D

Pete

Pete,

I buy the Bosh 3330 filter (yes in bulk) because I've come across too many leaks with the UFI, not because of price. (It doesn't hurt that it is also the replacement filter for most of the BMWs I work on and the BMW filter wrench fits perfectly.) Some people have had to tighten the UFI so much, I though I wouldn't get them off when they brought their bikes in for service. I bought a 3 legged filter tool just so I can get them off. I fill the Bosch with oil, coat the gasket with grease (not oil) tighten to 15 Nm, and no leaking filter.

I want to use the BEST oil filter I can purchase.... I assume you do the same when you use a condom ?

pete roper said:
Mr. Roper,

I get your point, but you are misinterpreting why some folks are curious about alternative filters to the OEM UFI.

My motivation is certainly not to save a couple of bucks on an oil change; right now I'm only using UFIs, and will likely keep doing so as long as my Griso is under warranty (to avoid the risk of getting it voided).

Nonetheless, it is precisely because I ride an expensive Griso that I am interested in gathering as much info as I can about the best possible filter for it. So far, I am not convinced that UFI is the best possible filter for my bike - I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong on this, but I suspect that the OEM UFI filter has just a traditional, all-cellulose filtering element rather than more effective filtering media found in latest-generation filters.

Incidentally, all UFI 14-flats filters that I have purchased recently here in the US are labeled "Made In Tunisa" rather than "Made in Italy"; nothing necessarily wrong with that, of course... only, I hope this doesn't imply an increased chance of finding fine Sahara-desert sand inside a brand-new UFI :lol:

Here's a left turn ...... I use HifloFiltro.
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/.
Been using it since breakin period. Can't say I've had problems.
14 flute oil filter, Made in Thailand, torqued at 15Nm
2.08$us less ;)

Forgot to add: The UFI on my LM3, from the previous owner, leaked. :whistle:

I used to say, use the specified UFI until the Norge leaked with the UFI. I'd never had a Guzzi that you could tell whether it was leaking or not until then. :whistle:
So, I changed to the Bosch 3330. <shrug> No leaks since, and it appears to be a well made filter. It's priced like it's well made, at any rate.. :D

Glad this thread is up, and after reading through it, I'm ordering some Bosch filters off of Amazon. They have the Hiflofiltro as well for only $3, but Bosch seems more reputable and will be here with free two day shipping for my spring change this week. Local shop sells AGIP as well, just had no filters! Cheers and safe riding fellas.

GT-Rx said:
Greyo said:
Does anyone know how many PSI is the relief valve of the OEM UFI filter set to?
~8 psi.
Thanks much, Todd.

Does this mean that other filters frequently mentioned as an alternative (e.g., Bosch 3330, Purolator PL10241 etc, which are rated 12-15 psi) could be problematic in this respect?

This is likely quite naive (I'm no engineer), but to me 8-ish psi seem a bit on the low end for a CARC 8V engine running a 10W-60 grade oil (quite viscous at temps below 20 deg. C)... wouldn't the relief valve pop open if we started our 8Vs from cold in winter temps?

Greyo,

I wouldn't worry about using the Bosch 3330. It was recommended to me by an MGNA service representative. Like you, I think the 8 PSI may be low. However, that is only in case of blockage to keep oil flowing, better unfiltered oil than no oil at all.

Greyo said:
Thanks John.
I've noticed Bosch now produces the 3330 also in its latest "DistancePlus" line:
(http://www.boschautoparts.com/Filters/Pages/DistancePlusOilFilters.aspx)
Do you know anything about these?
All I know is that they are more expensive than the plain-vanilla 3330 - I'm wondering if that translates to a more efficient filtering medium...

I can't answer your question, I just don't know. I didn't even know that Bosch had the Distance Plus line.

I have used the Bosch 3330 for years with no complaints. Will be placing one on my Norge soon.

Steve

Greyo said:
Does this mean that other filters frequently mentioned as an alternative (e.g., Bosch 3330, Purolator PL10241 etc, which are rated 12-15 psi) could be problematic in this respect?
As John says, the 3330 is what is recommended by MGNA Tech Svcs, so don't sweat it. The number I quoted above is for the older Cali UFI filter. I'm not positive what, if any differences there is to the new version.

Back