• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Greetings and Manual Clarification

jderienzo

Just got it firing!
Hello, I'm new to the forum. Not too new to Guzzi, but just picked up a new '11 G8VSE two weeks ago this coming Friday. My dad has an '03 California EV that he's modified to with the touring accessories. We've both ridden for over 10 years at this point on a variety of Japanese bikes. I've gotten to ride a few other BMWs in that time. I've rebuilt and worked on cars and motorcycles since before I drove or rode. I do all my own maintenance on anything mechanical.

I'm just under 50 miles to go to the 900 mile first service. The dealer has shipped me 4 quarts of AGIP 10W-60 and 1 quart of AGIP 80W-90 gear oil.

I sincerely apologize if this is covered somewhere, but I just can't find a previous thread on this.

The problem I'm having is that the manual lists "AGIP GEAR SAE 80W-90 - Transmission oil" and "AGIP GEAR MG/S SAE 85W-90 - Transmission oil" under the recommended products.

Does the manual list two different weights for you to choose what you want to put in the transmission or is one of those supposed to be labeled as for the rear end?

I'm hoping to not discuss the finer properties of one oil versus the next, but rather clear up why both of these are labeled as "Transmission oil" and neither one is labeled as being for the rear axle.

Another way of asking my question is can the 80W-90 be used in both the tranny and rear axle?

Or

Should I order 85W-90 to go into the differential/tranny (whichever is applicable)?

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the forum mate.
I've had the same confusion coming from older Guzzi's, I wanted to run my favorite brand of mineral oils plus additives, just as your Dad might with the Cali.

Peter Roper explained that late model Guzzi's run hotter because of leanness and emmissions etc, and your 8V is also an oil head like BMW's, meaning oil cooled so you need the full synthetics to cope with the heat.

Likewise transmissions have changed somewhat from the old days, can't remember what Pete put on my shopping list but recommended the same synthetic oil for both gearbox and differential.

Cheers

The 80W-90 is for the Transmission (Gearbox) - 500 ml

The 85W-90 is for the Final Drive - 380 ml

I have been using Castrol Sytrax 75W-90 for both for many years with no issues

Yes - my appologies - it is the wrong way round - The problem was that the owners manual lists
Gearbox (Final Drive) then Transmission in one place and the other way round a couple of pages on.

Correction is :

The 85W-90 is for the Transmission - 500 ml

The 80W-90 is for the Final Drive - 380 ml

Though the main point was that I use the Castrol 75W-90 fully synthetic Syntrax for both

Great info.

Sounds like the fact that I got the AGIP 10W-60 and the 80W-90 is going to be fine for doing all three reservoirs.

We'll see if I ever get enough greenbacks in the bank to just order a case of all three weights to do things the way I'd like. Until then, we'll just have to make due with this setup!

Thanks!

Back