• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

leak oil joint carter

It seems my 'greaso' is living up to its name. An oil leak in my 2008 Griso 8V has reappeared for the second time. I posted the 'first leak' on a previous thread on Aug 15 last year when I had 15000 on the clock. I printed out all Pete Roper's and others' advice and pics and entrusted to the dealer in Brisbane, Queensland. The bike was returned and apparently fixed. Not leaking anymore but no cause for the leak given. Australia's John Sample Group - the importer - supplied the parts free, but the main expense - the labour - was to my account. I asked whether the bolts were overlong and whether the flange needed machining (as per advice on the forum) but was told that this wasn't the case. I only commute short distances daily on the bike (2 x 10-15 mins only) with the occasional longer sortie when I get the time. However since the fix in August time has been in short supply and so the first big blat was during this Christmas holiday when I did a 4 day tour round Northern NSW 3-4 hours daily. Towards the end of the 1200km tour (total now km17,000 on clock) I noticed the telltale seepage (engine oil) in the same spot as last time which then developed into a worse leak than before so that now it's even coming out of the inspection bung. The dealer has a backlog of repairs and can't get to it until feb 3rd (they're 2 mechs down) but I'm probably facing another major repair for a problem I don't think was addressed properly the first time. The mechanic at the dealer reckons it might be a blockage in the crankcase breathers???? any thoughts anyone???

Commiserations Cosmo.

It does almost sound like they just replaced the gasket or a seal and didn't deal with the root of the problem. It obviously takes a while to happen as mine lasted 14,000 miles before it leaked.

Interestingly while I was browsing ebay.co.uk, I came accross this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moto-Guzzi-Le-Mans-II-/260940170243?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3cc13f0403. A 1987 Le Mans II, 27750 miles, including the line:
'One and only fault, rear crank shaft oil seal weeps if ridden hard, it has done this since I have owned it and oil has never effected clutch.'

Out of interest, what is your engine number?

Regards,
David

Thanks David,

Unfortunately it's now belching oil not weeping and is parked at dealership, awaiting surgery on the 3rd Feb and following. Let's hope we can get to the bottom of the problem this time rather than just replace a few seals and wait for it to go wrong again. The VIN number is ZGULSE0088M111689. I had the tappet recall done by a reputable MG dealer and mechanic. Plus I had clutch repaired under warranty in Jan 2010. Bike runs brill otherwise. Just standard with termi pipe and remap. I'll keep everyone informed of the diagnosis and welcome more ideas prior to the operation!

Cheers

Cosmo

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I've just got back from the Jingellic W/End (NSW, Vic clubs get together) Had a great time except I had to do a little manouvering after each stop so I didn't ride off over the puddle of oil :!:
Seems like most of the oil stays up in the bell housing whilst riding and just pours out at coffee or beer stops.
Reckon I can get this one on warranty Pete!
Sounds like the same disease to me, oil weeping around the mating face /inspection hole and even out the starter eventually!! got worse over the week end and dumped atleast 50-60mls at Omeo(the pool was as big as a bread and butter plate in the time it took to fuel up). Oil level was nearly at the min mark by then

Sorry to hear of more trouble like this.

Can you believe I am still waiting to get mine back from this fix! I feel like I have missed lots of good riding weather. I have been using my old XR125 in the meantime.

£194 on parts plus a front headstock stand so far...

David

Griso 8V Oil leak......again! From earlier in this thread you will see that a second oil leak led me back to dealer earlier in the year - Feb. Engine out again and wallet out big time plus there was a clutch problem as well. Then off the road for ages (bike is sole transport so a major headache). Everything put back together and no problem for a few months. My daily usage is small commute with occasional weekend blast whenever I can get a free pass. After one of these weekend blasts I noticed the dreaded black drips on the bottom of the sump. Took it back to dealer and some oil was taken out as it was slightly overfull from the last visit there. I was told to take it out and have a long ride, but then the leak got worse, so it's back to the dealer for another engine out affair!!!!!!! The dealer checked the flange bolts and O-ring seating and they were fine, breather hose and other assorted fixes posted on this forum but no cause discovered. I noted a thread from Todd Haven from Oct 2006 saying that a breather box on a griso had not been machined and one hole not drilled - so it was pressurising the crankcase. But picture didn't show which hole. Anyone else had this problem or got some suggestions??? The bike is going in to dealer again this Monday 17th Dec. I am hoping Todd will see this and revert before then plus I have sent him a PM. Plus who should pay for a third engine out affair????? Me, dealer, importer, MG??? Australian Trade Practices Act does give me some statutory rights but would anyone listen??!!

I finally got my G8 back in June. I then tried to get MG GB to help out, but despite saying:

we were sorry to read of the problem that you have experienced with your Moto Guzzi. Although your bike is out of warrany we are happy to consider assisting towards the repair. Please contact MAN at DEALER(edited out names, to be cautious), giving him all he details of your bike and problem. He in turn, can contact us direct to discuss the matter. We appologise for our delayed reply and look forward to being able to assist in some way.

I never managed to get any help. I was totally fed up by now and had fallen out of love with the bike while it was away.

I am getting my new Honda this week, having traded in the Griso - good riddance!

Regards,
David

Sorry to hear that David - i can't imagine living without my Griso or ever trading it in - wotever the frustrations!
I had a happier resolution - at least I hope it is. Still no idea what the oil leak problem is but flange seal replaced with a thicker custom job by the very skilled and patient Sean at Springwood Suzuki and every other bit checked and put back together in time for Christmas.......a few hard rides in the Queensland heat and so far no leak. It still cost me several hundred dollars but a large portion of the labour was waived by Springwood Suzuki - good on them. No point in trying to get any sense/cents out of the factory over Christmas!!! Happy New Year y'all.

Back