• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

U.S. Griso 8V: Remove charcoal canister ?

ett

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
On U.S. spec Grisos the charcoal canister resides directly below the gearbox drain plug.
So today when draining the gearbox oil on my Griso.
Instead of doing my usual laying aluminum foil over the charcoal canister.
I unmounted the charcoal canister and swung it to the side.
This made draining the gearbox oil 100% easier.

But unmounting the charcoal canister was a bit of a hassle.
Because removal of the rear charcoal canister bolt requires removal of the rear brake level.
So I was considering completely removing and disconnecting the charcoal canister and running the Griso without it.

Has anyone done this ?
If so; did you encounter any issues ?
Such as bike not running correctly, or bike ran correctly but had persistent ECU or dashboard errors displayed, or bike failed to pass inspection, etc ...

Lots of people have done it with no Ill effects, If you search around the forum you'll find a few write ups about removing the canister.

Since they started putting evaporative canister systems on motorcycles that I have purchased, the first thing that I do is remove them. They are poorly designed for motorcycles and can cause problems. I have a 4 valve (2 per side) Griso and removed mine the first day that I purchased it.

jackson said:
Since they started putting evaporative canister systems on motorcycles that I have purchased, the first thing that I do is remove them. They are poorly designed for motorcycles and can cause problems. I have a 4 valve (2 per side) Griso and removed mine the first day that I purchased it.

+ 1

jackson said:
They are poorly designed for motorcycles and can cause problems.
What's poorly designed about them, and what problems do they cause? :ugeek: My Griso hasn't been gutted and I'm not aware of any issues caused by the stock setup on mine.

Goodvibes said:
jackson said:
They are poorly designed for motorcycles and can cause problems.
What's poorly designed about them, and what problems do they cause? :ugeek: My Griso hasn't been gutted and I'm not aware of any issues caused by the stock setup on mine.

Specifically mine cause problems with tank venting, the tank would pressurize in hot weather and be hard to start.

Removal of canister and associated plumbing fixed this "feature".

Not saying that all bikes have issues, but some do.

My garage would smell of fuel really bad after a ride. It stopped after I removed the valve and canister.

Indefatigable said:
My garage would smell of fuel really bad after a ride. It stopped after I removed the valve and canister.

That seems odd to me -- OK, OK, I am liberal-arts kinda guy without a clue as to such things :p -- but thought the canister was designed to absorb the very fumes you mention.

In fact, I have no objection to pulling mine for various reasons, but it runs great as is and I had worried about fumes in the garage.

Bill

My cannister has been relocated to a box under the work bench. The right side of the bike looks much better now. It ran perfectly before and after the relocation.

All the best,

Mark

10% ethanol enhanced gasoline, polycarbonate gas tanks mixed with evaporative systems that don't let the tank breathe well can lead to the dreaded, "expanding tank issue". I've been removing the evap systems on every bike that I've owned since they started putting these contraptions on motorcycles. There have been too many problems with all of the bike manufacturers re. evaporative canister systems.
*Bill, I have never smelled gasoline in my garage and presently, I have two motorcycles and an Aprilia scooter sitting there when they're not being ridden. (all have the evap systems removed).
*Bill, I think that the two lines that come off of the tank (the overflow line & the vent line) are so small that the fumes are a non issue. I've had as many as four bikes at a time in the garage with no gasoline smell.

I can't dispute the issues some may have had, but I have to believe they were caused by an improperly routed or other failure of the vapor recovery system (e.g., kinked closed hose). A properly designed system would not cause runnability issues (think of all the vehicles on the road . . . . you don't hear of throngs of owners ripping out their vapor recovery systems because their cars are running bad). As always, my opinions and YMMV.

The BIG difference is that on an automobile, there is much more room to put a properly designed evaporative canister system. On a motorcycle, space is severely limited. You may be surprised at how many BMW motorcycles have had their evap systems removed due to drivability problems. I used to own several Vespa scooters and they are notorious for having problems with hard starting, stuttering and other problems due to the evap system. The slightest overfill at a gas station can clog the canister on a modern Vespa. Hot weather also seems to cause problems. There are a whole lot of modern Vespas running around with the evap system disconnected or totally removed due to these problems. My Griso would give a blast of air when the gas filler was opened on a warm day. I checked for pinched vent or overfill lines, checked the valve............everything was working as it was designed but it still did it. I removed the evap system and have never had another whooshing blast of air when I opened the gas filler.

jackson said:
My Griso would give a blast of air when the gas filler was opened on a warm day. I checked for pinched vent or overfill lines, checked the valve............everything was working as it was designed but it still did it. I removed the evap system and have never had another whooshing blast of air when I opened the gas filler.
All I have to go on is my personal experience, but with nearly 16K miles of ridership with my '09 Griso here in hot Florida, I am still waiting to experience a blast or even whoosh of air when I pop the top. :blink: Curious mystery I guess.

Back