• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Everything a Stelvio owner needs to know in one post

Anyone have a preference on spark plugs? So far I've found:

NGK PMR8B ($14 per)
NGK CR8EKB ($10 per)
NGK BPR6ES ($7 per)

ecka00 said:
Anyone have a preference on spark plugs? So far I've found:

NGK PMR8B ($14 per)
NGK CR8EKB ($10 per)
NGK BPR6ES ($7 per)

mine has still CR8EKB mounted, next one will be CR8EIX (iridium one)

I am the new owner of a 2009 Stelvio with 7400kms on it. Love the bike. I am old school and new computer fuel injection system are beyond my back yard mechanical skills. I have been told the fuel system can be a problem. Well mine has a sputtering under 3000rpm. In traffic it can be frustrating when turning slowly at a light.
It also sputters in third or fourth gear holding down 50kms a hour or 30kms in a school zone. The dealer said this has been a problem with this model and they are working on a fix..Some sort of resistor in the fuel/computer signal.

Is this well known or is this just my Guzzi?

mick2 said:
Well mine has a sputtering under 3000rpm. The dealer said this has been a problem with this model and they are working on a fix..Some sort of resistor in the fuel/computer signal. Is this well known or is this just my Guzzi?
It could be just your bike, when was the last service done? Ask if the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) has been checked/reset, and what map the ECU has on it. If all of those are good, 3k RPM is a troublesome spot, and I have a few solutions to fix it. There is a few band-aid resistor fixes, one is posted on this Forum. If you want it to run perfectly and don't mind spending a little money to get it there, contact me direct e-mail; Todd at GuzziTech.com, or if you can see it, use the small envelope/link below my picture to the right. ->

I'm a noob to Guzzi's although a geezer before arrival even. I just acquired a new Stelvio this past Wednesday. I'm preparing to do my first valve check/adjust when the service is due. The mechanic at the dealership told me they (Guzzi) changed the valve clearance gap from 4/6 to 6/8, intake/exhaust on the new Stelvio. Is this correct?

This is a great forum with lots of information. I'm looking forward to getting the few kinks worked out on the first service and having a smooth running machine for many miles to come. I'm doing valve check and oil changing but letting the local dealer do the throttle balancing and syncing which I don't have a clue how to do.

guzzigeezer said:
I'm a noob to Guzzi's although a geezer before arrival even. I just acquired a new Stelvio this past Wednesday. I'm preparing to do my first valve check/adjust when the service is due. The mechanic at the dealership told me they (Guzzi) changed the valve clearance gap from 4/6 to 6/8, intake/exhaust on the new Stelvio. Is this correct?

This is a great forum with lots of information. I'm looking forward to getting the few kinks worked out on the first service and having a smooth running machine for many miles to come. I'm doing valve check and oil changing but letting the local dealer do the throttle balancing and syncing which I don't have a clue how to do.

You are correct about the valve clearance being changed to 6/8 (0.15/0.20 mm). The sticker on the bike still shows the old spec also. This was a last minute change by Guzzi and was confirmed on other posts and forums. My dealer says he acutally says the spec is actually slightly bigger but I am sticking with the 0.15 and 0.2.

As for the throttle balancing and syncing it is actually easier than you think. Pick up a vacuum balancer (I have a Carb mate and love it) and the software (centurion S, from Todd here at Guzzi Tech). Up front cost is about $350 or so for both but you will get that back quickly after saving a couple of trips to the dealer. You will keep the equipment and use it for the life of the bike. Not to mention that you will have piece of mind that the dealer did it properly. Had my dealer do mine under warrenty and was still slightly out of balance at 0.5 cm hg at idle and high speed snyc. Just waiting for my software to show up and she will be re-sync'd. Will really help you dial your bike in for optimal satisfaction.

Going with the theme of everything a Stelvio owner might want to know:

Stock exhaust, 4000 rpm = 90dB

(Did a dual sport rally this weekend and a sound check was required, standard SAE J1287 JUL98)

The original Hella foglights on the Stelvio stopped working.
Checked the relay coil voltage and across the coil pins were switching correctly.

Ended up being the Tyco Relay part# PA66-GF25.
To confirm the diagnostic I interchanged it with the headlight relay .... well I wasn't going to Portugal to get a replacement. :)

For us North American dudes Foglight or Headlight relay
Tyco replacement:
VFMA-15F41-S01-ND
RELAY AUTOMOTIVE SPDT 12V
Googled the part# ..... Electronic Component distributor ..... I received it in 2 days

UK owners;-
Just taken my 59 plate Stelvio for its first MoT test (govt. test done after 3 years thereafter every year testing various parts of the bike) and it failed.

The headlamp reflector is not legal in the UK and throws too much light too high to the right.

Haywards supplied me with the fix that fits behind the right hand lamp. (see pic)

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    815.1 KB · Views: 1,606
Great idea - good to have on hand - just a added note re: oil grades -- pending on the time of year and cilmate the bike is in regarding cold starts - 10w-60 is like syrup this time of year in northern BC so I use a full syn 5w-50. Besides 10w-60 is special order in any brand. Mid summer or trips into hot country switch up to 10w-50. The recommended 10w-60 required by Guzzi in a 8V and PDI'd at the dealership blew out a o-ring for the sparkplug well on the valve cover with less than 180 miles on the bike. The oil level was over full by 300mils ( a coke bottle full). The only oils close to spec suggested are Royal Purple and Amsoil in these parts. Its either Castrol or Mobil - Redline is no longer available. The nearest Guzzi delaer is a 12 hr ride. So filter consist of Fram 6022 or Fram Ultra Toyota Prius - Napa - Donaldson or mail order a box of IFO. The nice thing about the Fram 6022 is the cartridge is up inside the casting, where as the IFO protrudes and not much air space between it and the skid plate. Back roads on gravel tend to have gravel lodge in there and if a bottoming on the skid pan ocuurs - well goodbye oil. Although the IFO has a tough heavier filter canister but we have some sharp BC rocks. I added a lower frt fender extension and oild cooler guard as backups out of shop handy materials ( a bar-b-cue grill for cooking veggies and a 4" 22* ABS pipe elbow). No Patent !! :woohoo:

guzzyupnorth said:
I added a lower frt fender extension and oild cooler guard as backups out of shop handy materials ( a bar-b-cue grill for cooking veggies and a 4" 22* ABS pipe elbow). No Patent !! :woohoo:

Pics of this handy work ?

please advise how to identify whether your Stelvio has a
A5 or A8 motor as the exhaust valve spec is different?

All, There seems to be a need for a "what new owners need to know" and "quick reference for existing owners" all in one post. If something similar already exists let me know but I'm going to assume not at this point. Below our some incomplete items that will require additional research on my end or feedback from the forum and I also welcome any suggestions for additional information. If this works out hopefully we can get whomever manages this forum to place this statically at the top of "stelvio chat & tech".

Maintenance Items:

Tires: 2008/09 OEM

Front Pirelli Scorpion Sync 110/80 R19 - 59V 36.3 PSI
Rear Pirelli Scorpion Sync 180/55 R17 - 73V 42.1 PSI

Oil Specifications:

AGIP Racing 4T SAE 10W-60 - 3.5 qts. w/filter
Oil Filter Hi-Flo 551
Uses OEM brand cap wrench "B" found at Auto Zone
Alternative (use at your own risk)
Filter: Bosch 3400 (longer) or 3330 (shorter, but recommended by Piaggio USA)
Oil: AMSOIL SAE 60 - MCSQT-EA ($12.20 qrt)

Transmission (Gear Box) oil:
AGIP Gear MG/S SAE 85 W 90 -500ml

CARC oil:
AGIP Gear SAE 80 W 90 -380ml

Engine:

Valve Specifications:
A5 Motor valve specs: Step by step instruction: HERE
.10 mm intake
.15 mm exhaust

A8 Motor valve specs:
.10 mm intake
.20 exhaust

Recall Notices:

Service Communication: 2009-001 USA PRE-UPDATE CAMPAIGN NOTICE
Technical Update Campaign-Stelvio 4V 1200 Engine- Camshaft
follower/bucket replacement
Models affected: 2009 Stelvio 4V models within a specified VIN range
Stelvio 4V: ZGULZC0029M112385 to ZGULZC0009M112689
Production Date Range: 04/29/08 – 10/02/2008

Exhaust Gasket Replacement: Kawasaki part 11060-1130

working on below information......................

Engine Performance: 02 sensor, modifications

Known issues: eg., Front fork axle bracket--over tightening cracks, Mono Shock leaks, Condensation in instrument panel, Spark plug caps, Center Stand, CARC Vent, Speedo censor, etc.

General Maintenance: Oil Filter and Oil, best places to buy

C.A.R.C (Italian for compact reactive cardan shaft drive) vent issue and fix

Accessories and after market: engine guards, wind deflectors, hard/soft bags, gps, heated grips, windshields, etc.

You are correct about the valve clearance being changed to 6/8 (0.15/0.20 mm). The sticker on the bike still shows the old spec also. This was a last minute change by Guzzi and was confirmed on other posts and forums. My dealer says he acutally says the spec is actually slightly bigger but I am sticking with the 0.15 and 0.2.

As for the throttle balancing and syncing it is actually easier than you think. Pick up a vacuum balancer (I have a Carb mate and love it) and the software (centurion S, from Todd here at Guzzi Tech). Up front cost is about $350 or so for both but you will get that back quickly after saving a couple of trips to the dealer. You will keep the equipment and use it for the life of the bike. Not to mention that you will have piece of mind that the dealer did it properly. Had my dealer do mine under warrenty and was still slightly out of balance at 0.5 cm hg at idle and high speed snyc. Just waiting for my software to show up and she will be re-sync'd. Will really help you dial your bike in for optimal satisfaction.

I just set mine at .1, .15 as my manual says on my 2013 NTX and it ran so much better it was amazing. Bike had 3400 miles on it with no previous adjustments I am sure. All were loose to be sure, especially exhausts.

please advise how to identify whether your Stelvio has a
A5 or A8 motor as the exhaust valve spec is different?
Did anyone help you with this question? I too would like to know how to id which engine I have in my 2015 Stelvio NTX

Back