• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Fork leg bottom cracked

af1-windy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
2008 Stelvio with cracked fork leg bottom, pinch bolts over tightened. Fixable or replace?

My brothers bike and before you ask niether of us were responsable and the dealer isn't interested, in fairess it would be hard to prove they had done the deed. :unsure:

Thanks.

Dealer must be an idiot. The issue has been well documented for four years and service bulletins about the importance of not over-tightening the hex bolts and/or replacing them with allen bolts, (As was done on later bikes.) to reduce the risk of over-torquing and snapping the casting were published on the Servicemotoguzzi site years ago.

Only choice is to replace. Bad luck.

Pete

Been there done that.
I'd think he should be able to claim warranty coverage due to it being a latent defect that is well documented by Guzzi

Get the dealer to approach Piaggio and make a noise about it.

Just as you prompted me to do use the sale of good act, 6 years etc

af1-windy said:
2008 Stelvio with cracked fork leg bottom, pinch bolts over tightened. Fixable or replace?

My brothers bike and before you ask niether of us were responsable and the dealer isn't interested, in fairess it would be hard to prove they had done the deed. :unsure:

Thanks.
I keep inspecting, and no sign of crackage....can you send a photo?

A recall by year was done in Europe on the left hand fork. Mine cracked and was replaced by the dealer, it didn't crack immediately, but as Pete says its all well documented that there was a problem. I have two mates with Stelvios one cracked the other didn't, but it was still changed by the dealer - most dealers seem to have done the right thing. I'd suggest you go back to the dealer again if no help then Piaggio, but the dealers are suppose to fix this sort of thing.

Thank you for the replies, I've passed on a link to this page to my brother, steve, hopefully he'll go armed with this information and get a better result than he did yesterday. :huh:

Is there a chance that just the bottom part of the fork leg can be purchased? (black bit that holds spindle and calliper)

Cheers

windy

In a different thread I refered to the person that was the last to work on the bike in respect to removing and replacing the front wheel as a Neanderthol, I stand by this comment but should point out it wasn't the dealer Steve bought the bike from, it seems it was done when the front tyre was replaced. :evil:

Dealer is being very helpful. :)

windy

In the recall it is the fork leg that is replaced which includes the black hub at the bottom, don't see how you could replace just the black hub on its own.

It's looking like Guzzi Dealer is going to replace the fork leg and I'm pretty sure this site played a part in making this happen, thanks for your replies and thanks for this site. In terms off Guzzis it's the equivelent of AF1 aprilia site, both top notch biking sites... Cheers fellas :D :D

windy

af1-windy said:
In a different thread I refered to the person that was the last to work on the bike in respect to removing and replacing the front wheel as a Neanderthol, I stand by this comment but should point out it wasn't the dealer Steve bought the bike from, it seems it was done when the front tyre was replaced. :evil:

Dealer is being very helpful. :)

windy
...Can you photograph the affected parts? I'd like to see what exactly to look for... GDP

I don't have any photos of mine but I recall there were some pictures on the threads when this was all first discussed a long time ago now about 2009/10? Anyway you really can't miss the crack, from the ones I have seen, the normally go across the two bolts holes. I recall the torque figure was 10nm for the original and I think it was then reduced to 8 on the new one. The seating for the bolts is also slightly different on the new fork leg. Some were reported to be over torqued mine was supplied with the correct torques, but possibly some of the damage could have been done when the bikes were assembled or if the front wheel is taken out for some reason and not put back correctly. For example, because its slightly difficult to put the long wheel bolt through the wheel hub one your own or in a hurry it would be all to easy for someone to use the clamps to "hold" the bolt while you line the holes up and fit the wheel and doing this could put extra stress on the area of the two bolts - one possible explanation why its mainly been the left fork leg. Anyway the new hub is a slightly different design to the old one and so far no new cracks.

After reading this tread I decided to get a good look at mine and sure enough the left leg is cracked. I've never removed the front tire and the bike only has 1600 miles on it. I just emailed the dealer hope to hear some good news about the replacement.

Phil

Attachments

• P1040160(1).JPG
    P1040160(1).JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 250
Back