• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Griso Dash problem

KiwiNZ

Just got it firing!
Hi I'm from NZ and have a Griso '06 with a condensation problem in the dash - I have had it replaced 4 times (3 batches) and still it has not been fixed. Now I find the people I have been dealing with are no longer 'allowed' to deal with these issues - for what ever reason this does not help me in the slightest. Can anyone help or give me info to sort this problem - 2 1/2 years and counting.
thanks

The dashes mist up because Digitek are so mean they can't buy a decent tube of silastic to seal the dash.

There are two ways of 'Curing' it.

1.) Take the dash out, take the cover off and drill a coupel of small ventilation holes in the back to allow air to circulate and remove the condensation. This works, obviously you have to take care that where you drill doesn't stab through into the workings of the 'pooter. I'm always wary of this.

2.) Take the cover off the dash and remove the crappy plastic 'Gasket' thingy. Warm the dash in an oven to 80*C or so or, if the weather is good and it is very low humidity then stick the dash outside but not in direct sunlight for an hour or two, Then replace the cover and gasket but seal it properly this time with a thin, but adequate, smear of clear silastic being careful not to get 'rubbery' fingers all over the 'Glass'. As long as it is dry inside when the cover goes on then there will be nothing to evaporate or condense in there so no more misting.

Pete

Where was this DIY thread... with lots of pictures... Here!
Enjoy... :D
PS: Don't get mad. It's not Guzzi, but they are sharing the same parts.

I must admit my clocks seem to steam up, even when left under the taup for any length of time, and my pals is the same. On his he seems to suffer a fairly comprehensive clock failure in wet conditions - as in the display mostly blanks out. Seems to sort itself out when it dries. He had exactly the same problem with a courtesy bike whilst his was being serviced.

Mine's yet to see much wet - and I have the small screen fitted which may help so I've not experienced that problem. Anyone else seeing this?

I have reported here that my 8v has the "rain forest" effect. See pic.

Seems it is quite a common problem and from years back - which is the part I can't figure out. How can such a problem go on unsolved? Yes I know Guzzis are "limited, handmade" and this part of the charm, etc... - but surely this is an outsourced high-tech piece of electronics that should be designed to perform in the outdoors in winds, rains whatever.... no? I haven't pressed for a replacement yet, but warranty is up in April. Even if I got mine switched, would it be any better? Does any one have one that doesn't fog up? Has any one had their replaced? Did the new not fog up? Looking forward to hearing back. Thanks!

5ouirb.jpg

I don't think replacement is a solution. The replacement is likely to suffer the same. If you want it fixed, either do it yourself as Pete explained or get your shop to do it for you.

Ironically the dash on my old 1100 never showed a hint of misting but it was the one that broke!:blink:

The dash on my 1200 does get a tiny bit steamy in cold weather but I'm leaving it over summer to see if it 'Dries out' in the very dry environment in which I live and the bike lives most of the time.

One has to wonder if the digitek factory is at the bottom of a swamp or in a Turkish Bath or some such. It is bloody ridiculous really isn't it? 'Tis fixable though.

Pete

GuzziMoto wrote:
I don't think replacement is a solution. The replacement is likely to suffer the same. If you want it fixed, either do it yourself as Pete explained or get your shop to do it for you.

I must have gotten lucky. My steamed up regularly and eventually took on water. It was replaced under warranty and has been free of condensation/moisture/water for over 6,000 miles. There seems to be a QC issue with the part.

On a brighter note (knock on wood), my '06 dash has been flawless to date. I am Not a "fair weather rider" and the Griso has seen more than its share of rainfall (and once in a while a little snow);)

I hope this indicates its a QC problem instead of a design flaw and should be easily repaired.

But just to reiterate folks - is anyone seeing the clocks actually blank out for a while in the wet, or is it just steaming ... ?

Hi Gang

If your dash flashes or blanks out as you say, it could be the plug leads or caps.
Just give them a once over make sure the leads are not trapped and the rubber around the caps is good.
Since i re-enforced the plug caps with good old insulation tape mine have behave well.
That is apart from the speedo which has worked periodically for the last thousand miles.
New sender on order, been waiting 7 weeks.

Loftyjohn

percival wrote:
That is apart from the speedo which has worked periodically for the last thousand miles.
New sender on order, been waiting 7 weeks.

Loftyjohn

Percival

If your sender is the same as the Griso model, I ordered spares last year and received them in just a few days. I'll send one your way (from Minnesota) if you're in a jam.
The stock sender is poorly sealed from the elements and several threads in the old forum addressed this. Easy fix AND I believe
Steve UK on this board has re-potted some of these with a better epoxy(I've been using one of his through the worst riding weather ever without a problem) and may be able to hook you up.

PM me if you'd like one

Sorry about the hijack of this thread everyone;)

Back