• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Clutch Chatter ---- Brrrrruuum ---

Thanks Pete for any update ....

After clutching in traffic, for 2 …3 km/hr the other day :evil: , couldn't feel the difference but I'll keep an eye on the lever tension.
Cheers

Hi .. I just picked up my brand new 2012 NTX this past weekend, and this makes this clutch noise too, only when cold, first maybe second move away from standing start, just as described by others here. I was a little concerned, which is why i came looking and found this thread.

mine too, 2011 ntx now done nearly 6000 miles only cold, not concerned by it. I worked for a car manufacturer one of the models had a very similar noise and was traced to the center plate hub vibrating under certain conditions it was alot more prominent than on my bike and no action was taken with the car and it came and then went away again with no ill effect

I suspect this is nothing to do with the clutch but is gearbox gear vibration.If it occurs worse when you release the clutch at low revs and let the engine torque do the work then this is what it will be.If it disappears or is not present when you rev it on the takeoff it will be gear vibes.K100 Bm's used to do it quite badly when 2 up and loaded.Such a torquey engine that would pull away from low revs and the gearbox didnt really like it much.Get the revs up for the takeoff and it was all quiet.As a matter of interest my V8 6 speed manual car sufferes from the same thing but in 6th gear only.The engine is quite capable of pulling 6th gear at a speed that will destroy the gearbox if done for a prolonged period.So those owners that drive around using top gear at 60 or 70 kph all the time will only get 60,000klms or so out of the box.Its about harmonic vibrations and in the case of my car you cant actually feel or hear them but they are damaging.
Ciao

my 09 with about 6200mi has the same sound on cold start, only once or twice and then not again when warmed up. It can be quite loud too - a brief groan once or twice when letting out the clutch fully.

lucky phil said:
I suspect this is nothing to do with the clutch but is gearbox gear vibration.If it occurs worse when you release the clutch at low revs and let the engine torque do the work then this is what it will be.If it disappears or is not present when you rev it on the takeoff it will be gear vibes.K100 Bm's used to do it quite badly when 2 up and loaded.Such a torquey engine that would pull away from low revs and the gearbox didnt really like it much.Get the revs up for the takeoff and it was all quiet.As a matter of interest my V8 6 speed manual car sufferes from the same thing but in 6th gear only.The engine is quite capable of pulling 6th gear at a speed that will destroy the gearbox if done for a prolonged period.So those owners that drive around using top gear at 60 or 70 kph all the time will only get 60,000klms or so out of the box.Its about harmonic vibrations and in the case of my car you cant actually feel or hear them but they are damaging.
Ciao

Phil, thanks for the tip. I have done as you suggested and simply revved up a little more in first gear when my Stelvio is cold. I have not heard the groaning noise since. I have never owned a motorcycle, car, or truck that had this characteristic, so it was a puzzle to me. The solution seems to be as you framed it, and it is a pretty simple workaround!
Thanks again,
Bruce

Mine @ 14K miles still makes a noise that sounds like a hinge needing wd40. ONLY happens when the bike is cold and goes away immediately. Runs great otherwise. Told the Guzzi mechanic, he told me that we'll wait until it falls off :cry:

Hey guys I had the same problem on my 2009 Stelvio but the noise progressively got worse and the clutch lever started to not engage fully. I brought it to the shop and they found that the throwout bearing was bad and it was replaced with an upgraded part. After replacing and testing they found still found poor clutch performance. They disassembled it and found the entire clutch pack was in need of replacement. Hope this helps!!

My 09 started the noise at about 17k miles. It only happened when cold and the very first release of the clutch as I was leaving home or where ever I was in the morning. I did not notice any other symptoms or issues other than the strange brrrruuuummm once each day. Now with 25k miles, I noticed I had forgotten about the noise until I read this thread. At some point, it just stopped. (of course, this morning, it'll probably start doing it again but hey, it's a Guzzi!) :D

Mine does the odd groan off the mark in first when cold, when it went in for its first service i mentioned it, they said its ok and just a characteristic with the Stelvio's

Back