• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cali EV in shop.

Scottcc

Tuned and Synch'ed
I bought a 2004 EV with less than 13,000 miles last week from consignment. I test road the bike twice and everything seemed good on the bike. The first day after I bought it, I felt a pulsation in the linked brake system that only can be felt at low speeds. I talked to the dealer about it, he said he will nogociate fixing the issue with the sales price since the seller has not received the money yet. I believed it was a warped left front rotor, but now after calling the dealership it seems they have discovered something else as the problem. I have not been told what the problem could be even after asking, so I don't think they have it figured out. Here are some symptoms if anyone might be able to help...

It starts to pulsate at less than 10 mph, it cannot be felt higher speed. The single right brake is smooth no issues there. I cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner it helps but only for a few stops then it gets worst. It can be felt more while 2 up. Is it possible to have an issue with the linked system valving?
I am not disappointed in the Guzzi or that I bought one,hopefully everything will be ok with it. I have feeling that the seller may back out of the dealer since he is the one having to pay to get it right, or maybe I will have to come up with more money. I don't know?

Is the pulsing in the pedal?

It is likely the rotor, whether it be the buttons or it is in fact warped. The odd part is that it is only noticeable at low speeds. I would say you have a 90%+ chance that it isn't related to the linked brake set up, as it is fairly simple. I can get you a Brembo replacement rotor at a great price if you need a replacement.

Guzzis seem to have small quirks like this, but once sorted, you're in for decades of enjoyment.
Keep us updated.

Thanks GT, nope I don't feel it in the pedal just suspension. I just got off the phone, the shop owner is replacing both front rotors at sellers cost. Do you think I should ask for new pads at my cost? Although the pads are not bad.

I should have a the bike by Tuesday, with no braking issues. Sad part is my wife and I are missing this perfect weather for a weekend ride we planned.

Scottcc said:
Do you think I should ask for new pads at my cost? Although the pads are not bad.

If it were me, I'd go for new pads. The old pads may have contributed to your problem.

What John says above... and be sure to replace with non-high friction pads (HH is the normal acronym now).

If it were me, I'd pick it up and ride this weekend, and take it back next week when the new parts are ready.

Thanks for the help and heads up. We both can't wait to get the bike back, but we decided to wait because my wife is totally new to motorcycles. This is sort of an experimental bike for a season or two, then we might get a new one if she takes to riding.

Seekhunt said:
Silly Guzzis! Mines an 03 EV with air in the rear brake line, I'd really like to get that air out!

This is a two person procedure. Remove the rear caliper and orient so that the bleeder is as high as possible. Place a screwdriver shank, punch, anything between the pads. Bleed as normal. The second person pumps and keeps an eye on the reservoir. When the air is out, reinstall.

Got the call yesterday to pick up the bike, I rode it home the brakes are great now. I will change the pads out when I get the time but I don't think they are bad. I took my wife for about an hour ride after I got home. I felt much safer without the pulsating, it was not fun trying to catch the bike from an early than anticipated stop with my wife's momentum pushing on me.

I took the bike out solo today and it did not want to stay started, I turned the fast idle on and still struggled to stay started. I decided to take it out for short trip to see if would work itself out, after 5 miles the power improved and idled normal 1000 rpms. I checked to exhaust flange temperature after getting back both at 259f, so assume that it even and not too lean. 2 factors could be a cause, I left bike outside last night which I don't think should be an issue no rain and low humidity. I filled it up yesterday with pure gas (for the first time) at the only station around that sells it, it was 87 octane. Maybe I need to use higher octane even though it is only offered in 10% moonshine, I hate that stuff.

Yes you should be running higher octane. With a full tank, you shouldn't have gotten any condensation, but there still could be some water in the fuel. Running some fuel with ethanol should get water out of the system if any was there.

Be sure to remember that your brakes are brand new and need to be broken in properly. No heavy braking or long duratio braking for the first 75-100 miles. You want the pads to beed in gently to the new rotors and not glaze.

Not positive as my EV was a 1998, but I believe that all California EV's have linked brakes so you NEED to be using the foot brake as the STRONG brake and the hand brake as the supplemental. But ALWAYS USE BOTH BRAKES to properly place equal braking on both front rotors!

The foot brake controls the rear and 1 side of the front while the hand brake only controls the other side of the front.

Understand?

john zibell said:
Seekhunt said:
Silly Guzzis! Mines an 03 EV with air in the rear brake line, I'd really like to get that air out!

This is a two person procedure. Remove the rear caliper and orient so that the bleeder is as high as possible. Place a screwdriver shank, punch, anything between the pads. Bleed as normal. The second person pumps and keeps an eye on the reservoir. When the air is out, reinstall.

Hmmmmm.

I am beginning to understand why this task gives me fits. :whistle:

Bill

Took my wife on a 2 hours ride early Saturday before it got hot , she said she enjoyed it but was too long for her. Our rides before were only about 30 minutes to an hour. I suspect she will get used to longer rides after more saddle time. The Guzzi does great for riding 2 up but even with the advice of preloading the shifter I still get false neutrals. Overall, I'm happy with the bike, I just wish the transmission was more refined.

Scottcc said:
Took my wife on a 2 hours ride early Saturday before it got hot , she said she enjoyed it but was too long for her. Our rides before were only about 30 minutes to an hour. I suspect she will get used to longer rides after more saddle time. The Guzzi does great for riding 2 up but even with the advice of preloading the shifter I still get false neutrals. Overall, I'm happy with the bike, I just wish the transmission was more refined.

You need more practice, and be positive in your shifting. Make sure the linkage is making a full swing and nothing is bottoming out before the shift pawl has traveled as far as it needs to.

Back