• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 Stelvio NTX vs 2006 BMW 1200GS

Luma46

Cruisin' Guzzisti
After the first 2200 kms on my new Stelvio NTX and after the first service, I figured I should compare my previous 2006, well tuned 1200GS with my new bike. I am rating from 1 to 5; 5 being the best. Some items on my evaluation might not be significant to others, but they are to me.

• Overall power and torque delivery – Stelvio 5, GS 4
There is definitely more power available on Stelvio, but it is not that much difference
• Power delivery and pull at lower RPMs (2500 to 3500) – Stelvio 4, GS 5
The GS was more smooth at lower RPMs, my Stelvio seem to have a RPM band from about 3500 to 4100 when the vibrations show in handlebars, especially under the load
• Fun factor when riding highways – Stelvio 5, GS 3
The responsiveness and the vibes coming from the engine are much more pleasant on Stelvio
• Engine/transmission refinement, noise – Stelvio 4, GS 5
The Stelvio’s engine even after adjusting the valves is noisier in idle than GS. As well, there seem to be some whine coming from engine/tranny at low RPMs when taking off from standpoint. It might get better as the bike breaks in, but as of now, GS was more refined.
• The ease of routine service – Stelvio 4, GS 4
While it is easier to adjust valves on Stelvio, the oils replacement is better on GS and access to other parts of engine seems less difficult on GS as well.
• The ease of cleaning the bike – Stelvio 3, GS 5
To me, cleaning the bike is the most important maintenance to prolong its life. There is few factors that make cleaning the Stelvio more difficult, more tight spots and crevices and the paint on some parts, especially the rear swing arm, attracts road grime and is harder to remove.
• Controls/Switches – Stelvio 3, GS 5
The LCD display on Stelvio is a bit overcrowded and I am still getting used to reading speed in digital format. The main complaint I have is the left hand side controls. The turn signal switch should have been at the very bottom, instead of just next to the Mode switch. I keep pushing the Mode switch to cancel signals… As well, the signals switch doesn’t have any feel to it, no click and it should have been self-cancelling, it is for sure just matter of software.
• Riding comfort – Stelvio 5, GS 4
Even with the Sargent seat I had on my previous bike, the Stelvio is more comfortable ride. Ideal upright seating position for my 5’11’’ frame. The seat on Stelvio seems to be kind of adapting to the shape of one’s but.
• Protection from elements – Stelvio 3, GS 4
I am finding that my boots and riding pants are pretty dirty up to the knees when riding in rain and windshield is not as effective as it was on GS, probably because it is closer to rider.
• Off road /dirt road worthiness – Stelvio 3, GS 4
While I never go off-road on the bike of this size, Stelvio’s weight and Scorpion tires would make it fairly difficult even on a gravel road. Maybe some hard packed dirt road fully dried up after rain, but nothing more.
• Overall value for the money – Stelvio 5, GS 3
The Stelvio is basically competing with the 1200GSA and for the same package/options I figure I saved about $8,500 CAD. Combined with the joy/comfort of the ride, I think Stelvio soundly beats GS.

I'm certainly not used to the non-self cancelling signals but I am learning quickly. Unfortunately, I keep hitting the horn button. :roll:

Nice review/ comparison of the 2 scoots.
I did the same thing when I bought my 09 stelvio last fall. I noticed the difference in handling. I give the stelvio a 5 - GS a 3.5
Gravel road riding I gave the slightest edge to the GS. With the 2012 rear tire selection it might change. The 180 rear on the 09 is a bad gravel tire size IMHO.
:mrgreen:

For gravel road, the Stelvio is a very capable bike, easier to deal with than my V-Strom 1000. Easy to control and forgiving. I didn't feel that the bike was heavy at all. (about 50 km of gravel road riden around Quebec city area to go fishing. Before to go for the Guzzi, I went to check for the 1200 GS Adventure and found that it didn't worth the 8K cdn dollars difference. A friend of mine is riding a 1200GSA since 3 years now and after comparing both bike, we found that both would do about anything that the other one would do. So it is a matter of flicking a coin and of how much money you can spend. Price wise, In the Quebec city area, the Stelvio NTX is even cheaper than the Yamaha Super Tenere similarly equiped by about 1500 cdn dollars. So for the price..... :D :D :D

Luma46 said:
The Stelvio is basically competing with the 1200GSA and for the same package/options I figure I saved about $8,500 CAD. Combined with the joy/comfort of the ride, I think Stelvio soundly beats GS.

Bit of a strange thing to say as when adding up your individual scores the GS beats the Stelvio :eek:

Timothy said:
Luma46 said:

Bit of a strange thing to say as when adding up your individual scores the GS beats the Stelvio :eek:

You cannot just add all items straight together for a final score. Power delivery, fun factor and riding comfort outweigh many times things like ease of cleaning and controls.

Back