• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 V7 Racer or OOPS Have I Made A Mistake?

kern16

Just got it firing!
Good Evening,
This is my FIRST post having it be suggested that this forum might provide me with an answer or enough comments to go on as to my next move?
This past Sat I put $3500 down on a 2012 V7Racer. I had done my research and the 2012 is the model with the NEW motor, increased HP, better millage etc etc. My pick-up date is May 29th. All of a sudden when I announced to my fellow riders email flows N .......WAIT........that 2012 does not have the NEW motor! U have to wait till the 2013 model. OK so what am I waiting for and is it worth the wait or would those of you much more in the know than me say Nay just having it for the upcoming riding season is enough and besides that U could be dead by Oct or Dec (hope not but you see my point?)
So what would you do........WAIT........ (or) Pick this beauty up May 29th
Inquiring minds want to know?

Regards
phillip

USA bikes for MY 2012 have the metal gas tank, but the older 750 engine.

It's a good and proven engine. I would have no problems with it.

In the USA for MY 2013, we are supposed to get the "new" 750 engine which has new heads and a new efi system.

The published performance gains are relatively small, so unless you just have to have the absolute latest thing, then the 2012 should serve you well.

I been driving the v7 cafe for the last 3 years....done some improvement to it....but if u want a fast bike, it will max out a 180kmph or 155 2 up.... its a sweet ride but its a city bike to me....my eldorado 73 is more powerfull....but if power is not your thing I think its a sweet thing to ride and a head turner too...I love it bu would love to get 75 extra hp....Im adicted to power.....

Hope you love the bike and please put some mistral reverse cones on it!!!!!

Welcome to the family!!!

The current 750 engine is a good design. It has been around for ages, has very few design flaws, and the ones it has are well documented with solutions available where applicable. While the new motor should be an improvement in some respects, it is hard to say how well it will work and whether it would be worth waiting for. Personally I would not wait for it as most of the "improvements" it brings are not really performance improvements but mostly better emissions, easier to build, etc.
I bought a 2 valve Griso (first one in my state) and then they came out with the 8 valve version. At first I was pissed but then the new motor started having issues. In the end, I would have been happy to have the 8 valve motor but I enjoy my 2 valve motor and don't regret buying it when I did.

Since this is going so well let me say THANK YOU to all for making me feel less of an IDIOT! I thought I had really messed up big time. I will go ahead and take the 2012 with delivery May 29th. Maybe someone could help me with my next question? When I was at the dealer a MG owner says........."U have got to order a set of Lafranconi Red Tips exhaust" Which I did......problem is the dealer called me back and said....OOOPS they have not been designed for the V7 only the classic? In an earlier post a member suggested the Mistral Reverse Cones? I've heard the Red Tips and loved the sound ie: I'm not interested N being LOUD! Would anyone here know if the Red TIps will be produced for the V7? R the Mistral Reverse worth a look or stay with my first selection?

Regards
phillip

I been riding the mistrals without baffles and with the catalytic bypass and yes they are loud...but if you leave the baffles on they are a bit louder than original and its fine for most people....construction and fitment is good and to me they look nice....and the original ones are so easy to scratch.....
Im currently out of town but when Im back in 2 weeks I can put the baffles on and make a video for you if you want to hear them.... the other option would be agostinis or stain tunes....

kern16 said:
When I was at the dealer a MG owner says........."U have got to order a set of Lafranconi Red Tips exhaust" Which I did......problem is the dealer called me back and said....OOOPS they have not been designed for the V7 only the classic? phillip

Gotta say, I'm concerned about the dubious source of all your information.
Lafranco red tips most certainly are available for the Racer.
You'll note they are listed for both the Classic and Cafe.
The Racer has the same pipes as the Cafe, which are upswept.

These pipes will fit the Racer.
Here they are, 5th item down

http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/i ... e=Exhausts

kern16 said:
Also, there is a note on that listing that says the diameter at the downpipe union is 43mm. If you look at the next page, it shows the Mistrals for the V7 racer and notes that the diameter at the downpipe union is 44mm. This may or may not present an installation problem with the Red Tips if the 1mm difference cannot be overcome. It is best to check before buying.

rbm said:
kern16 said:
Also, there is a note on that listing that says the diameter at the downpipe union is 43mm. If you look at the next page, it shows the Mistrals for the V7 racer and notes that the diameter at the downpipe union is 44mm. This may or may not present an installation problem with the Red Tips if the 1mm difference cannot be overcome. It is best to check before buying.

I suspect a printing error.
The Cafe and Racer are the same bike.
I'm using the Lafranco's on my Racer without issue.

I recently bought a 2012 v7 racer (two years ahead of my ideal purchase date) specifically because I do not like the looks of the 2013 redesigned heads. IMO it makes the bike look less like a classic cafe with modern upgrades and more like a mass produced retro throwback bike.. In fare ness I suppose that's what it is, but I like the vintage illusion.
When I was told the US market will not be offered the chrome tank or torpedo cowel (only two thing I liked about the 2013 I frantically called around to find a 2012...
So, no, I think you made the right move ;-)

GuzziMoto said:
The current 750 engine is a good design. It has been around for ages, has very few design flaws, and the ones it has are well documented with solutions available where applicable. While the new motor should be an improvement in some respects, it is hard to say how well it will work and whether it would be worth waiting for. Personally I would not wait for it as most of the "improvements" it brings are not really performance improvements but mostly better emissions, easier to build, etc.
I bought a 2 valve Griso (first one in my state) and then they came out with the 8 valve version. At first I was pissed but then the new motor started having issues. In the end, I would have been happy to have the 8 valve motor but I enjoy my 2 valve motor and don't regret buying it when I did.

One of the motorcycle mags just tested the new 2013 V7Racer. The claimed HP is 50, which is only up two from the previous years. The new engine just looks a bit plain to me.

The ghoul said:
I recently bought a 2012 v7 racer (two years ahead of my ideal purchase date) specifically because I do not like the looks of the 2013 redesigned heads. IMO it makes the bike look less like a classic cafe with modern upgrades and more like a mass produced retro throwback bike.. In fare ness I suppose that's what it is, but I like the vintage illusion.
When I was told the US market will not be offered the chrome tank or torpedo cowel (only two thing I liked about the 2013 I frantically called around to find a 2012...
So, no, I think you made the right move ;-)

With you on that one.
I've just ridden a 2012 model and to be perfectly honest, if there is more power there, I didn't notice.
In fact side by side, both bikes felt pretty much the same to me apart from the gearbox, which I must admit did feel a little crisper on the new bike.

Back