• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oils and Thoughts

Okay its late, but the bottom line here, can we MG fanatics use anything else beside the ultra hi price 10W60 on modern CARC machines? Is Amsoil straight 60 going to destroy my engine? Is a standard 20/W50 out of the question? I'm tried of paying stupid high price for 10w/60. Local shop has Motorex product around $19 a bottle.

You can get decent deals on Agip 10W60 on E-Bay for @ $12.00 a litre, Thats pretty cheap piece of mind...

2Laner said:
Okay its late, but the bottom line here, can we MG fanatics use anything else beside the ultra hi price 10W60 on modern CARC machines? Is Amsoil straight 60 going to destroy my engine? Is a standard 20/W50 out of the question? I'm tried of paying stupid high price for 10w/60. Local shop has Motorex product around $19 a bottle.

I would say yes you can use other oils and they will not destroy your engine, but, do some research on various oils specs and make your own qualified decision.

Suncoast said:
You can get decent deals on Agip 10W60 on E-Bay for @ $12.00 a litre, Thats pretty cheap piece of mind...

The way I see it, Guzzi is recommending Agip because both Guzzi and Agip are Italian companies. I do not think that Agip oils are the best in Europe.

Luma46 said:
Suncoast said:

The way I see it, Guzzi is recommending Agip because both Guzzi and Agip are Italian companies. I do not think that Agip oils are the best in Europe.

I am sick and tired of theese oil threads. Why do you think a motor manufacturer would recomend a certain viscosity range? Pure guess! I do not care what you put into your engines just don´t come running complaining about a f--ed engine after a while and say that Piaggio/Guzzi is making poor products! Fill it with used deep fry oil, that should be cheep!

And when I was a wee young un the old timers used to tell of the wretched old cheap car owner who tried running Castor oil instead of Castrol oil. He only made it a few miles down the road before... no the engine didn't blow he did from breathin the fumes. See this was back in the 50's when cars had a breather tube that vented to the atmosphere instead of the closed emissions systems we have today. But who cares about this s**t anymore.....

Luma46 said:
Suncoast said:

While I am sure that Agip oils are fine, The only time Any of my Guzzi's had Agip oil in them was if the factory put it in. I am not telling anyone NOT to use the recommended Agip oil. Just saying I do not. I tend to use an oil I can locally obtain through a shop I choose to support. That way I do not have to plan ahead (not always my strong point) and I get to support a local shop so they will hopefully be there when I need them. Everyone else is free to do as they see fit.
I have enjoyed some of the factual contributions to this thread, I have done the same as far as looking at the different oil options and what their properties are. Why some people get in a tizzy at the suggestion of not following exactly what the factory recommends is beyond me. I also do not always set my valves at the original factory specs. And I often add more fuel then the factory originally did (jetting, power commander, etc.). Sometimes the factory recommends doing something for reasons other then because it is the best way or that testing showed it to be required.
I also do not lump all the CARC bikes in the same class, it has been suggested that the 8 valve motors have more stringent oil requirements and I am not going to argue what those requirements are. But I do know that many a 2 valve Guzzi, CARC models included, have run quite happily on 20/50, mine included. I do recommend doing some research on the actual characteristics of the oil being considered as the labeled specs are often a generalization, like tire size.
I also am more concerned about the lubrication specs then the exact viscosity. It doesn't matter how thick the oil is if it does not protect your moving parts, in fact anyone who has seen a motor blow up from not changing the oil may have noticed that the oil in the sump was plenty thick. Motor still blew up.

Guzzistaracing said:
Luma46 said:
Suncoast said:

I am sick and tired of theese oil threads. Why do you think a motor manufacturer would recomend a certain viscosity range? Pure guess! I do not care what you put into your engines just don´t come running complaining about a f--ed engine after a while and say that Piaggio/Guzzi is making poor products! Fill it with used deep fry oil, that should be cheep!

Just calm down Guzzistaracing, will you please. Nobody is forcing you to read opinions that are different than yours. Forget the forum and keep reading Guzzi manual, lots of good info there...

Guzzistaracing said:
Fill it with used deep fry oil, that should be cheep!

Yak fat.

That's the stuff.

Otherwise do what a lot of people do and avoid reading, or at least responding it, any oil thread at all costs as nobody can be "right" in these things and there is no new information normally brought forth.

Now see what you went and made me do? I've broken my own rule and responded to an oil thread.

cyclejohn55 said:
With the high cost of these oils, I was wondering how often you guys change your oil. cycle john

Redline 10W60 and 5,000 miles in my case . . . I think the manual in my Breva calls for about 6,000 miles between changes. 5K seems to me a reasonable compromise between my money's worth and keeping the oil nice and fresh.

Back