• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Racer production number

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to be a discussion between people who prefer green over blue ;) Glad we have both........

Why not just enjoy what you like, IMO that is real freedom.

greetz from Holland

Rob

pete roper said:
I can't confirm offhand but I know they are popular, in Sydney you can't seem to turn a corner without running into one of the horrid little eyesores! John's sold a heap of them, not sure how many? Maybe a dozen?

Unlikely.
I do know that there was a strict allocation of two per dealer worldwide.
I doubt there were even a dozen imported in Australia, LET ALONE TO ONE DEALER :eek:

pete roper said:
And before anybody flies into a fit of indignant high-dudgeon just because I don't like the 'Racer' doesn't mean that others shouldn't. I just think they are too brash and gaudy, thassall.
Pete

Clearly you were hoping for a reaction, which is why you used the words "horrid little eyesore" knowing full well that there are people here who have bought these bikes who might take offence.

If someone came up to you at a bike meeting, and just out of the blue said that he thought your bike stank, do you think that might be just a little rude ?

Out of interest, what makes you think it's any more acceptable on the internet.

Perhaps annonymity affords you the luxury of not having to face the potential consequences of being rude to someone face to face
:lol:

In the US, I have a 2011 V7 Racer number 029. I don't know exactly how many are in the US. For 2012, a dealers website states there will be 150, though who knows.

Moto Guzzi has captured the essence of that magical moment in time from over three decades ago, and reinterpreted it with the marque's hallmark passion and skill to create a genuine production special: the new V7 Racer. Produced in a numbered edition, as demonstrated by the commemorative plaque on the steering yoke, the V7 Racer celebrates the classic styling cues of the Moto Guzzi brand in a perfectly balanced blend of craftsmanship and technology evident in every aspect of this stunning motorcycle.

The first thing to catch your eye is the red frame, inspired by the legendary first 150 examples of the V7 Sport with CrMo frames, has been given a special treatment - as have the hubs and swingarm - which accentuates the gloss finish and emphasises the aesthetic purity of the double cradle structure. Perched on top of the frame's tubes is an ultra sporty single-seater saddle (a two-seater saddle and pillion footpegs are available as optional accessories), upholstered in suede and terminating in an aerodynamic tail fairing that also incorporates lateral race number panels in true Seventies style.

With its tiny Plexiglas screen above a race number panel, the top fairing - an exemplary expression of the Guzzi school - cites the front of the legendary Gambalunga. This unequivocally sporty element is in perfect harmony with the new design of the front mudguard. One of the most distinctive features of this unique special edition is the widespread use of bespoke components in brushed, drilled aluminium. This hand-crafted treatment, which requires superb artisan skill, has been applied to the side panels, the throttle body guards and the silencer mounting brackets.

Other premium components include the aft-mounted footpegs machined from solid billets, the lightened steering stem and the steering yoke guard consisting of a double chromed ring, which is so exquisitely crafted that it looks like an ornamental feature.

Any gentleman rider in the mood for a track day simply needs to don a single colour helmet and an understated leather riding suit, find the perfect setup for the fully adjustable pair of Bitubo gas shock absorbers and aim the 18 inch front wheel as close as possible to the apex. Riding enthusiasts who want to take it a step further can also choose the Arrow exhaust system (not homologated for street use), which is in perfect keeping with the visual balance of the bike and produces a spine-tingling sound as well as a significant increase in performance.

Technically, the V7 Racer retains the same winning formula used for the V7 Café in terms of both frame architecture - with a double cradle layout and detachable bolted lower elements - and geometry, with a steering rake of 27°50’. Doing duty together with the fully adjustable Bitubo rear shock absorbers is a 40 mm Marzocchi front fork, with a wheel travel of 130 mm and fitted with dust gaiters.

The brake system uses the finest components that the market has to offer, with a 320 mm floating front disc gripped by a fixed 4-piston Brembo 30/34 calliper, and a 260 mm rear disc with a 32 mm Brembo calliper. Measuring 2.50 x 18 at the front and 3.50 x 17 at the rear, the wire wheels, with silver spokes and nipples mounted on a matte black rim, are the same size as on the V7 Café, but are shod with higher performance and more visually impressive Pirelli Demon Sport tires.

I was told only 75 made it into North America in 2011, mines number 63.

mgv7racer, I do not see anywhere in the link or your post where it says 150 will be made. It does reference the first 150 examples of the V7(I think they mean the original one this one pays homage to), but no production limits that I can see.
Here is what I know.
Every Guzzi a "limited edition" in a sense as they do not make many of any model. They are a low volume manufacturer.
They will likely make as many V7 Racers as they can sell. Even if they were to set a limit on how many they planned to build, if demand was there they would find a way to make more. They have done that before and they will do it again.
I am happy people are buying Guzzi's as that should mean they are doing well. How ever I have to side with Pete, I find the Racer version over the top on looks with zero actual "Racer" credentials. If you own one and it offends you that I (or Pete) say what I think, grow up. Did you buy the bike to please others or yourself. What others think about my Guzzi's makes zero difference to me, I don't see why what I think about your bike should matter to you.

By the way, I do like the regular V7's, I just wish they would give it a real motor.

The good thing is that there were three V7 models to choose from, none of which in spite of their appearance have any claim to be sports models. The Racer is a bit flashier than the Cafe and has the footrests in the right place, and the Classic is just a very nice motorcycle not pretending to be anything other than it is. I don't see that it matters how many were made, imported or whatever, none of the models are sold as limited editions. The limit on numbers is the available market. Just not coming from a mainstream manufacturer will always make these bikes stand out from the crowd, and the bonus is they are great fun to ride, so enjoy.

GuzziMoto said:
How ever I have to side with Pete, I find the Racer version over the top on looks with zero actual "Racer" credentials. If you own one and it offends you that I (or Pete) say what I think, grow up.

There is a difference between the way you voiced your opinion, and the offensive manor in which PR goes about it.
I would say, if it's not something you would dare say to a stranger face to face, then it's no more acceptable on a forum.
Be honest, if a total stranger came up to you at a bike meet and said, gosh, that's a horrid little eyesore, would that be OK.
Would it really.
Oh, and yeah,
No one least of all me, has claimed that the V7 Racer is a sports bike.
Not even MG make that claim, but Cafe Racers are not about power.
People who use the lack of power argument have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the class is about.
To illustrate that, I'll use the definitive Cafe Racer as an example, which is the Triton.
Norton frame with Triumph engine, producing -------wait for it---------drum roll please.
51BHP
Come down to the Ace Cafe on a Brit bike night and tell these guys there bikes are not proper Cafe Racers because they are not powerful enough.
That'd be fun.

I do come from the era when the term "Cafe racer" was first used, and if you'd said it to any of the lads down at the Ace back then you'd have probably got a smack in the mouth, because it was intended as an insult. Funny how people forget little things like that when they talk about a past they weren't around for. For the record, many of the bikes everyone seems so keen on were badly maintained and potentially lethal heaps because of the low wages most young motorcyclists earned. (Bikers hadn't been invented then.) The past isn't always a better place to live, and it's only when you get older you can afford the cash to make it the place you think you remember.

sandy said:
GuzziMoto said:
How ever I have to side with Pete, I find the Racer version over the top on looks with zero actual "Racer" credentials. If you own one and it offends you that I (or Pete) say what I think, grow up.

There is a difference between the way you voiced your opinion, and the offensive manor in which PR goes about it.
I would say, if it's not something you would dare say to a stranger face to face, then it's no more acceptable on a forum.
Be honest, if a total stranger came up to you at a bike meet and said, gosh, that's a horrid little eyesore, would that be OK.
Would it really.
Oh, and yeah,
No one least of all me, has claimed that the V7 Racer is a sports bike.
Not even MG make that claim, but Cafe Racers are not about power.
People who use the lack of power argument have a fundamental misunderstanding of what the class is about.
To illustrate that, I'll use the definitive Cafe Racer as an example, which is the Triton.
Norton frame with Triumph engine, producing -------wait for it---------drum roll please.
51BHP
Come down to the Ace Cafe on a Brit bike night and tell these guys there bikes are not proper Cafe Racers because they are not powerful enough.
That'd be fun.
I have told strangers to their face that their bike was the ugliest Ducati ever built (999 owner), I did not do it trying to offend someone, I was just stating my opinion.
The Guzzi sales babble not only refers to the sporting intentions of the V7 Racer but goes on to suggest that "Any gentleman rider in the mood for a track day simply needs to don a single colour helmet and an understated leather riding suit, find the perfect setup for the fully adjustable pair of Bitubo gas shock absorbers and aim the 18 inch front wheel as close as possible to the apex." So, not only is it a sportbike but it is fit for track day use. Now, I am sure you could ride one around a race track safely, but not quickly.
As for the Triton, you also seem to forget that the reason they built those was to get the handling of the Norton with the increased power output of the Triumph. And while that power output is low by todays standards it was a lot back then. And if they had the money they would buy more power for their Triumph. Very few of them were left stock.
Back to Pete, he is who is is I don't want it any other way. There are too few people like that nowadays.

GuzziMoto said:
I have told strangers to their face that their bike was the ugliest Ducati ever built (999 owner), I did not do it trying to offend someone, I was just stating my opinion..

Yeah, lot's of bravado from behind the keyboard me thinks.
Would anyone here really go up to a total stranger and say that.
Well maybe an idiot not endowed with manners.
In fact if you really are so rude to strangers, I'm surprised you''ve lived as long as you have, but then we can say what we like from behind a keyboard, without the tedious burden of having to back it up.

GuzziMoto said:
The Guzzi sales babble not only refers to the sporting intentions of the V7 Racer but goes on to suggest that "Any gentleman rider in the mood for a track day simply needs to don a single colour helmet and an understated leather riding suit, find the perfect setup for the fully adjustable pair of Bitubo gas shock absorbers and aim the 18 inch front wheel as close as possible to the apex." So, not only is it a sportbike but it is fit for track day use. Now, I am sure you could ride one around a race track safely, but not quickly..

I am able to ride quicker through the tight twisty roads on my V7 than I was on my Griso.
Only in a straight line would the small block be left behind, by me anyway.

GuzziMoto said:
As for the Triton, you also seem to forget that the reason they built those was to get the handling of the Norton with the increased power output of the Triumph. And while that power output is low by todays standards it was a lot back then. And if they had the money they would buy more power for their Triumph. Very few of them were left stock..

Lecture not needed.
I suspect I've been around bikes much longer than you.
You gotta love born again bikers.
Point being that yes, you're right and thanks for illustrating my point so well.
Back in the day, 50 bhp was a lot, and maybe, just maybe it's enough for those who wish to recapture the esscence of the classic bike today, but with better reliability, brakes and handling.
As far as performance goes, there is a saying in boxing, which is, "it's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog.
This is what people like you need to learn.
Too many people who need power to make up for lack of ability.
I regularly ride with a guy with a cobbled together mark 1 lemon.
How much power do you think.
85bhp, something like that ?
The thing is, he rides quicker than anyone I know and can leave most riders for dust, no matter what they're on.
You see it's the rider at the end of the day, not the bike.
Power only really has relevance, in a straight line at high rpm.
When the roads tighten up, it's pretty meaningless, as what counts then is decent suspension, brakes, oh and skill.
Anyone can ride a powerful bike fast in a straight line.
Just as a footnote, I was riding with a bunch of Harley riders some weeks ago at a biker funeral.
About 50 bikes, all Harleys except me and some guy on a Goldwing, and they were all over my bike like a rash.
Nothing but compliments.
One even said that it was the type of bike Harley should build.
Interesting that.
I read and hear a lot about the elitist attitude of Harley riders, but whenever I hear people say that, I always tell them if you want to see real snobbery, just go to a Guzzi forum
They take some beating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back