• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 Stelvio NTX Horn fom Hell UPGRADE

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
As much as I love stock configurations, I just had to get a better horn. The factory horn belongs on a moped, not a motorcycle.

So...

I got this :D The Stebel Compact Nautilus (Waterproof version)

GuzziHornUpgrade003.jpg

I purchased it from here:

http://store.onlineautoparts.com.au... Air Horn Black 139dB Plug'n'Play Wiring Loom

This is the WATERPROOF version of this horn which I could not find anywhere here in the USA. I had to get it from Australia where the weather is more, um, severe.

It came with the most sanitary installation wiring loom I have ever seen, and the installation was CLEAN, with ABSOLUTELY NO MODIFICATION to the original Moto Guzzi OEM wiring loom. Only 2 simple blade connections and two battery connections.

All you have to do is remove the left side cover, fish the loom up the frame and along the lower side of the tank behind the main frame rail, unbolt 2 tank retaining bolts to lift the loom under the tank mounting tab, and connect it to the battery. It has a relay which is provided and connects the power feed directly to the battery. It even has its own waterproof contained fuse block!

Back down by my mounting point, you connect the stock horn wires to the newly installed wiring loom, and they control the activation of the relay, hence, the electric feed is completely isolated from the stock wiring loom. No possible damage to the wiring of your Stelvio and no chance of a blown factory fuse!

I selected a mounting point on the aluminum engine bash plate. Drilled 1 single hole and mounted the horn retaining bolt to the plate. The horn itself has another mounting clamp built into it, and a retaining screw attaches the horn assembly to the retaining bolt. Easy as pie and SOLID as a rock. The bottom of the horn is level with the bottom of my bash plate, and I checked out the lean clearance, and there is PLENTY, but for a track day where I might have *EXTREME* lean angles, I can quickly detach the horn, or if I move back to someplace with serious mountain roads, I will just use the original bracket to locate the horn 1.5" higher up by bolting the original bracket in a vertical position to my newly drilled hole, and attaching the horn retaining bolt to the stock bracket hole and then the horn to the retaining bolt! Could not be any easier.

The only reason I didn't use the bracket to begin with is that I like the SOLID mounting directly to the bash plate and the horn is perfectly vertical which Stebel says that it needs to be for proper operation and longevity. If it was on the original bracket, even though it is short, it would vibrate some and I didn't want that.

Also, this kit came with a specialized dust filter which you mount over the air intake tube, and will prevent any particulate from entering the wind turbine. The most fantastic thing about this whole setup though, is that in addition to being waterproof, the air intake is pointed towards the rear of the bike! You can see the little stem at the bottom right of the horn in the picture.

Now, the meat of the matter. THIS HORN IS DEAFENING! 139 decibels and they aren't kidding! It will wake the dead! Don't blast it in your garage or your ears will be ringing for some time.

If you want to know what it sounds like, there is a file on the selling site. It's down in the description. Click "Be heard - Be noticed - Listen here" and you will hear the horn. Make sure your speakers aren't on max volume!

I had to use the horn this morning when a careless driver started to come over on me. He swerved away from me like he had just heard a freight train coming at him. You should have seen the look on his face when he saw that it was just a motorcycle. I loved it!

I used some additional split hard plastic wiring insulator/protector tubing which I bought at the auto parts store, to put around the wires from the original horn wires to the relay connections as they are not protected by the plastic shrink wrap of the loom itself and sealed it nicely with some electrical tape. It looks like a factory install job. I then zip tied the wiring to the point where the engine protection bars bolt the the engine block and there is enough slack to change out to the factory bracket extension should I wish to.

The entire photo album is here:

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u487/Scott_Mastrocinque/Stebel Horn from HELL/

I hope you like what you see. Even though I am a "stock" kind of guy, I HIGHLY recommend this setup. You will be heard! No doubt about it. :ugeek:

***UPDATE - I was looking at the picture of the wiring loom on the retailer's site, and I noticed that the fuse holder in the photo is NOT what is on my loom but otherwise the loom is the same. My loom has a MUCH BETTER waterproof version which you can see in my photos. :D You can also see that the relay control wires are not protected by the shrink wrapping, and that is why I used the protective sleeve I mentioned. Enjoy!

Wow. Over 100 views and nobody has anything to say? I'm stunned! Good, bad, like, don't like, did it too, question, something? :lol:

Good information on a good upgrade. I put the non waterproof unit on my Breva a few years ago. Back then I didn't know about a water proof unit. If mine dies, I'll upgrade to the water proof unit.

scottmastrocinque said:
Wow. Over 100 views and nobody has anything to say? I'm stunned! Good, bad, like, don't like, did it too, question, something? :lol:

they are all searching the internet for the stebel horn and/or instll it already :mrgreen:

scottmastrocinque said:

Ordered mine today. Like the blacked out appearance. Just not to sure on the location it is in. Seems like it is just kind of "out there". Perhaps the pictures do not do it justice. Guess I will find out when I get mine.

canuck1969 said:
Ordered mine today. Like the blacked out appearance. Just not to sure on the location it is in. Seems like it is just kind of "out there". Perhaps the pictures do not do it justice. Guess I will find out when I get mine.

I took off both side panels and looked EVERYWHERE on the bike. There is no place to mount the horn that it will fit. The original horn location is too close to the front wheel/fender in the event of front fork compression. It can collide by my measurements. I admit it might seem a little unusual where I mounted it, but once you see how ground/cornering clearance is not adversely affected, and the mounting is so clean and solid, you might like it too. Given that the engine bars stick out considerably, I find the horn rather tucked in there.

If somebody finds a "better" location to mount it, I'm all ears!

Might give this a try (see link). I was hoping you could separate the horn from the compressor and it looks like you can. This may give us more options on where to put it. Hard to judge size without it in front of me but we should be able to find a spot to hide it separated somewhere. The all back design whould help it blend in with the background. Let you know how it turns out...thanks again for the ordering link.

By the way, did you have to pay any duties or brokerage on the unit when it arrived??

https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic. ... bel#p61547

Not sure if the waterproof version can be seperated. :huh: Let us know. Also not sure about that "look". :unsure:

No duties were assessed to me. Came right to my door via DHL. B)

I did the separation thing as well. Compressor is mounted inside the fairing, dead center where the evaporative canister used to reside. Horn is mounted using the old horn mount bolt.

I don't care for the 'little squealing girl' sound that the Stebel airhorns make. I prefer my dual Fiamms which are just as loud and sound like a big SUV.

scottmastrocinque said:
Maybe they are like me and think why the hell would anyone want to put a 3 or 4 kg horn on a bike that's to heavy to start with. Horns, really good working rear brakes, stereo systems, trailer hitches, trailers, sidecars are among the things that I personally see no use for on a motorcycle and wonder why others do.
Except of course as an indicator of who to avoid at motorcycle gatherings :)
Ciao

As far as location goes.... I'm looking at where the charcoal canister currently is taking up space.

Once it falls out there will be room for a better horn.

Wayne Orwig said:
I don't care for the 'little squealing girl' sound that the Stebel airhorns make. I prefer my dual Fiamms which are just as loud and sound like a big SUV.

Cool. Did you post a topic with pics we can see?

lucky phil said:
scottmastrocinque said:
Maybe they are like me and think why the hell would anyone want to put a 3 or 4 kg horn on a bike that's to heavy to start with. Horns, really good working rear brakes, stereo systems, trailer hitches, trailers, sidecars are among the things that I personally see no use for on a motorcycle and wonder why others do.
Ciao

Not quite... less than 1 lb total (and actually only a few more ounces than stock.). :p

lucky phil said:
scottmastrocinque said:
Ciao

Funny....those are the guys I will usually talk to. Can be assured that they have travelled farther than the local Starbucks for a latte.

canuck1969 said:
lucky phil said:
scottmastrocinque said:
Ciao

Funny....those are the guys I will usually talk to. Can be assured that they have travelled farther than the local Starbucks for a latte.
True, generally like a mobile road block all the way :)
Ciao

Well, received the Stebel and just could not find a place that I was happy with. Separated the unit and still was not able to find a good place to install it. Gave up and bought 2 Fiamm Highway Blaster horns. Both are 136 db and waterproof. One low tone and one high. Used the relay kit and wires from the Stebel to install the horns so not all is a loss. Both horns installed very nicely inside the right hand side cover using all the hardware and brackets that came with the horns.

Post pics later if anyone is interested. Horns cost me $19 dollars a piece. I am sure you can get them cheaper on line somewhere. Just make sure you get the Highway Blaster version, not the normal version (136 db vs 125 db)

Now sounds like a big old Lincoln barelling down the road. To me sounds louder than the Stebel and I am not looking for the lunch truck everytime I blow the horn. :lol:

Yes, I am very interested in your pics. Do I understand you correctly that they are inside of the fairing? I cannot imagine where! Please do post the pics. Thank you!

Back