• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Norge vs FJR

Birdfarm

Just got it firing!
Hi all, am a long time rider that has owned most every marque; Yamaha XS1100 - 95,000, Honda VFR/ST1100, Kawasaki '70 H1/'89 ZX10, '74Norton 850 Commando :dry: , '74 GT750 Suzuki, '01 Yamaha FZ1, '03 Harley Deuce.... with a dilemna. In the market for one of my next to last purchases (yeah right) but am vaccilating between the Guzzi Norge and the FJR. Guzzi qualities: Very unique, won't see a ton of them on the road, cons: support. FJR; Heavy, which is why the ST went away; Plus: Reliabilty beyond belief, plus a support network to match. I love raw power and can use it. I'm turning 56 this month so don't want to do this again next year. Any quips from the gallery? Thanks all.

I went through the same thing a while back. Debated between a FJR, R1200RT and Norge. I went with the Norge because it is such a sexy looking bike. Seat height works very well for me at 5' 9". Brakes are outstanding and it handles very well for its size. Reliability may favor the FJR and I wouldn't be so sure on the BMW. I love my Norge and I have a slightly modified 05 Bandit 1200 that will flat get it done. Got the Norge the very first week of February and have only put 110 miles on the Bandit since. I have no regrets so far. It goes fast enough and I will probably tweak it some in time. Well actually already installed a Staintune exhaust.

I love my (2007) Norge comma but.

If you are talking about a new 8v, fine, but think you might disappointed in power of earlier models.

Personally, I think the first-gen Norge power is quite fine, especially given its agility in the turns. But if you are used to faster machines, you might need to buy the 8v.

Again, I love my Norge.

Best wishes in finding the right machine.

Bill

Have put 20,000 miles and sold 05 FJR.... Very fast very reliable bike but did not talk to me like the 07 Norge does.

07 Norge with custom seat and taller windshield with risers. Much more elegant bike, easier to maintain and very composed on the freeway. Everything just works on this bike. Way more comfy with passenger onboard then FJR.
I like you am concerned about support but have had no problems with it up until I sold it. Likely next Italian candidate will be used 8V 1200 sport or 8V Norge..

No wrong choice here but Guzzista's seem to get it more then FJR guys. :^)

You have to sit on one! Sometimes going to a showroom and just sitting on a bike will help you make up your mind.

I have short 28" or 29" inseam and a 36" seat height does not do it for me, especially for 2 up riding.
Yamaha FJR, Kawasaki Concourse, Honda ST all have really tall seats. That was a deal breaker for me.
I have been totally happy with all that the Norge does and doesn't do. I wanted a twin with down low torque.
I don't need a L4 that wraps out 10,000RPM's

I should have mentioned mine is a 09. I can pass on the rush of power for everything else the Norge brings to the table. It is just a blast to drive! Do I wish I had a 8v, yes but not for the extra 5k it would have cost me.

I too was considering an FJR and honda st but as was stated before they have a tall saddle which was prohibitive for my short inseam, with the Norge factory low seat I can put my feet flat on the ground.Be honest how much power do you really need? I tested an fjr and st1300 and found both honestly scary fast and at my age could see all sorts of ramifications with that much power on tap. My Norge can't go from 0-60 in a couple of seconds and isn't as smooth but then I came from a Buell and am used to v-twin querks. I've been on two trips and it does cruise all day long and I had no trouble staying with other bikes if I chose to play that game. You have to decide which part of the sport-touring you want, Yamaha is a little more sport than tour just because of leaning seating position. The Norge is a little more touring than sport with a more upright seating position.
Bob

My 2005 FJR was very fast and I enjoyed it right up to the time I totaled it...but I found these issues annoying:
Engine Heat (fixed in 2006 I'm told)
Turn signals do not self cancel - No gear position indicator - Five speed transmission - "soft" paint (scratches easily)
When Mama Yama updates the FJR and fixes these things it will be a better bike IMO.
The engine tick issue (check the FJR forums) was a constant threat, but I never had the problem in the 17,000 miles I rode it.

At the end of '07/early '08, I was thinking of moving away from my Breva 1100 and going FJR. I'd met Alexis in Phoenix and became a fan of her blog, especially this story: http://www.seizethejourney.com/rideinfo ... efault.asp

So, in Feb '08, I rented an FJR from the Eagle Rider franchise in Richmond. Put 465 miles on it in two days. Pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mojohand/s ... 845561096/

Bottom line is, though I like its quiet, its power, and its sweeper handling, in tight corners the FJR's weight made it want to continue in the curve, rather than being able to turn in easily. That might've been something I'd learn how to handle. But the seat is wider...and at the end of the day, I liked the narrowness of the Guzzi seat. So, the next month, I bought Red Molly (2007 Norge).

Now, I have Red Molly and Raven: a 2012 Norge 8V. Kinda where I ended up.

I had a 2008 FJR AE and I loved it but sold it after 1 year for the following reasons -
1. It had too much power, power far beyond my limited abilities to control safely and I concluded that if I kept it, it would probably kill me. This was the overriding reason for selling it.
2. I have short arms and the handlebars were just too far forward. Helibars would have fixed the problem but they cost $500 for the FJR...
3. I have a 30 inch inseam and the seat was just a little too high for my comfort.
4. Its weight combined with my short legs made it difficult to back it up or move it around in confined spaces.

Things I liked -
1. Runs on regular gas.
2. Got decent gas mileage.
3. Looked great

I am soon to be the owner of a 08 Norge. Will pick it up May 19th. Getting excited.

I also have owned a Honda ST 1300 but found that it did not want to go in a straight line without constant attention. It was the first model year so there may have been something wrong with it. It was also very scary on the interstate within 300 yards of any semi.

While I've never owned either a Norge or a FJR, I do own a Stelvio and I've ridden my buddy's FJR considerable distances over the last 6 years (on long trips, we'd switch bikes to change things up). The FJR was an 05 and the heat was UNBEARABLE. My buddy installed all the "heat fixes" found on the forum and it did improve, but still not acceptable in my book. I don't think that Yamaha really got that sorted until 09 or so. the FJR's inline 4 is buzzy at the wrong RPMs - highway cruising. You feel it in the hands and in the feet. Hated that. It is a ROCKET SHIP in a straight line and does okay in the corners. it's really too heavy to really carve tightly. the bike is absolutely suited to sweeping turns. great bike all 'round but lacks that connection that these Moto Guzzi's possess. To service the FJR you need a muffin tin to keep track of all the screws just to remove the fairings and get at anything. And try servicing/changing your battery...PITA.

Like others have said...my Stelvio (lovingly named "NESSIE") speaks to me. there is a connection to the bike and to the road that is hard to explain. I have 26k+ on my Stelvio 8V and apart from changing fluids I don't know what else you need to do. I've checked the valves at regular intervals and it's so easy anyone can do it - just follow the directions step-by-step on this forum.

Ride them both for as long as you can to test drive. one of them will speak to you. i'm betting on the Italian.

Before I bought my 07 Norge, new in 08, I looked at the FJR, ST1300, New Concours and the BMW R1200RT. All nice bikes. The BMW was too expensive, the Concours looked like a maintenance nightmare and cooked you as you drove, ST1300 was looking a little long in the tooth and it was next to impossible to find a new one with ABS as I had heard that police departments had got most of them. The FJR also had heat issues and was expensive. I got a new Norge for 12K plus shipping. The Norge is by far the easiest bike to work on, it doesn't cook you as you drive, it handles well and is reasonably fast. It came standard with ABS and a trip computed, it also gets decent gas mileage. I have 44,000 mile on the Norge so far. But for a leaking front seal the entire drive train has been stone axe reliable. Having said that, MG could have thought out the chinsey body work, headlight, and power windshield a little better. I still think I made the right decision.

What answers do you get when you ask the same question on the FJR forum?

Gazdok said:
What answers do you get when you ask the same question on the FJR forum?

Actually, on the FJR forum the people who respond are much more complementary of the Norge than the people who have responded to this thread have been about the FJR. I've been riding a number of different Concours for the past 22 years and I'm trying to decide whether to pick up a used FJR for what will probably be my last motor or keep on trying to find a used Norge GT 8V that I can afford. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a way to test ride either motor so I've no idea whether either will speak to me or not.

The closest Moto Guzzi dealer, the Motorcycle Mall does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling so I'd probably be having to travel a good ways for service if I got the Norge. But I'm sure my local independent shop, Circle Cycle, would have no problem dealing with an FJR.

For me it would depend on what I wanted it for, if I was going to buy it and put a lot of miles on it I'd definetly buy the Yamaha, if I was going to only put 5-10,000 miles on it every year I'd buy the Guzzi. Depends on what you want, I'm going to retire in 7 years and when I do I'd like to do a North American Tour, I'll pick up one of the Japanese bikes with a great warranty and support and ride the shit out of it, My Guzzi will be at home safely tucked away awaiting my return!! At least thats the plan!!! :D

If my riding were mostly highway, my choice would be the FJR. For mostly twisties, my choice would be the Norge.

As you can see from my profile, I have an '07 Norge that currently has a bit over 36,000 miles. I bought the bike as a new left-over in April of '09.

I looked at the FJR, ST1300, Connie, and the BMW R1200RT as options. For me, the FJR was a bit too forward leaning to be comfortable. I couldn't get a test ride on the ST or the C-14 and didn't like the feel of the C-14 from jump. The R1200RT was just boring when I rode it, but the ergos were nice.

The Norge, on the other hand really spoke to me from the time I punched the start button. It handles probably 90% of my riding extremely well, and another 5% well enough. The biggest downside to a stock early Norge is the wind on the pillion if they are 5'7" or taller. If you only ride solo then it's no big deal. My wife loves riding with me in the canyons and anyplace where we are not spending a bunch of time over 60MPH. At that point, she'd rather be on the back of my '88 Connie - much better wind/rain protection.

I know the FJR can be hustled through the canyons rapidly as one of the old AMA racers I hang with on Fridays has one and he runs me ragged from time to time.

I'm looking forward to trying out one of the new Norges. I'll be fine until they bring out that red/maroon from the first press photos, then I may be looking at replacing my current one.

I'm sure either bike will do everything you want it to do, and I really wouldn't worry too much about the sparse dealer network with Guzzi. Typically, once they are set up correctly and tweaked the way you want it, they are pretty maintenance free.

jdg

I ride an 09 Griso 8V but had an 08 Norge before the new motor came out . I liked the bike a lot , the way it handled , looked and of course the fact it is an air cooled twin . However , the performance from the new motor (8V) in the Griso had me hooked . Now that its in the Norge I'm thinking of changing horses .
During last summers ride to the Oregon Guzzi Rally with several friends I had the opportunity to swap rides with a buddy riding an FJR . Its a great bike and I was enjoying the unlimited HP right out of the gate . Its got all the features you'd ever want in a motorcycle then some . It reminded me of my Triumph Sprint only with more amenities which I rode for years and got too many tickets on . I pondered the possibility of having one . I realized though that it wouldn't put a smile on my face like the guzzi does every time I start it up , let alone ride it . There is something about these bikes like everybody else is talking about here and I've been bitten . I've ridden everything over the years but my next ride will be another guzzi . Enough said , and good luck with your choice .

Cheers, Steve

steve lindsay said:
I ride an 09 Griso 8V but had an 08 Norge before the new motor came out .
I've enjoyed reading this thread as I'm also teasing myself with a possible new love affair with a Norge. I must keep this desire secretive as my Griso remains my devoted partner.

I can't compare the FJR to the Norge, but I bought a new '11 FJR 2 years ago. I've put 27K on it so far, so I feel qualified to assess it. The Feej is hard to fault - stupid fast, but quite docile when called for. Handling is quite nimble for a 650 pound bike. Utterly smooth and composed at speed, very confidence inspiring. Feels & sounds like an electric motor at idle, ferocious acceleration. Electic windshield, heated grips, ABS, great fit & finish. Hard to fault the Japanese bikes for their quality & dependability. That said, I wanted a smaller, more nimble bike for local trips, and have been fascinated with Guzzis. Just bought a '07 Breva V1100 with 90 miles, and can't get the s**t eating grin off my face after 700 miles the first week. It's got half the horsepower of thr FJR, vibrates at idle, and makes noise, but is more fun to ride than anything I've ever been on. Feels more like a 350 than any 500 pound bike has any right to, and that 86 HP is way more than enough for any sane riding. ;)

Back