• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Banged Up The Griso

Merkurwwu

Just got it firing!
Greetings!

I need a little assistance. I'm trying to understand the insurance company's protocol when it comes to totaling a bike.

I was in an accident on Saturday during an advanced safety class (ironically) on my white 8v. Another rider went off course into my direct path of travel while doing tight-radius circles and I essentially T-boned him. I never even saw him! We were both mostly ok (I'm still a little sore from being slammed to the ground) but my Griso is definitely worse for wear. If fell on the RH side so it damaged the CARC, the valve cover, the levers, mirror, oil cooler and gauge pod. All these parts are mostly just scraped up. What worries me from a bike-getting-totalled standpoint is the frame is dented at the front where the triple tree slapped it after the forces of the crash sheered off the turn stops on the lower fork support (on both sides!) Plus the fork is a few degrees out of alignment.

Are insurance companies apt to total the bike more because of the dented frame than anything else? I've heard stories of minor accidents totalling a bike because of a frame scratch. Or is it all just a crap-shoot?

The bike is going in for estimates today but I'm going to be out of town for another week and like to get an idea of what may be coming my way. The other party is at fault and the school is writing a statement to that affect and there are a couple other students who were witnesses so I know my property will be covered, my confidence is another story. :unsure:

Thanks for any info!

For a total, repairs cost has to exceed a certain percentage of the bikes value. That percentage is set by the insurance company. If the repair estimate is over that percentage, the bike will be totaled, if under that percentage, repaired. Be sure if the repair option is exercised, you get replacement of damaged parts, especially the frame, not just painted up. With the CARC and frame damage, you will be very close to the total option in my opinion.

What a bummer, glad you're going to be OK though. When I had a crash many years ago in Michigan the rule was if the frame is tweaked, the bike (Moto Guzzi Bassa) was automatically totaled. By the damage you describe, I'd say the Griso will most certainly be totaled. Remove anything you've added that you can salvage. Many insurance companies total a bike if the repairs are over 50% or 60% of the bikes value.

Keep us posted on what they say,

Mark

According to your profile, you are in Washington State.

What John and Mark said comma but.

Only caveat I'd add is that insurance is very much a function of state law, thus there can be some (almost bizarre) variations.

You might check your state insurance-commissioner or consumer-affairs websites for latest state-specific and (usually) citizen- -- i.e., not industry- -- focused info.

Best wishes; what an unfortunate circumstance.

Bill

As I said direct e-mail, typically any time a frame is damaged, you're looking at a total.

Thanks guys, and thanks too Todd for chatting about it.

I think I'm in denial. I don't want to give the darn thing up but looking online there are a few around should it end up totalled. They're on the other side of the continent though (and even have a few fewer miles!) At least they're out there... :) (There is the buyback option but I don't really have time for another project vehicle)

What about getting protective gear paid for? Any ideas there? My 5 month old jacket has a gash and there's a hole in my overpants. It also scrapped my boots pretty good. Does insurance typically pay for that or am I on my own there?

(Please be aware. I've never had to use insurance for anything more than a $400 bump into my neighbor's car when I was 17 years old. And then it wasn't even "Chargable.")

Thanks again!

Bikes work the same as cars ... damages reaching 70% and beyond, of the value of the vehicle will total it.
But when the frame is tweaked (even on cars), it's almost a certain loss despite a low cost of repair.
It's liability for them, not worth it. They want a piece of mind.

You can always contract the bike with your Insurance if you want to keep it but you have to do this before it's declared TOTALED.
You have to let them know that you want to take the burden of fixing the bike in the event of a total loss figure.
Once both parties agreed on a payout amount, you get a check and you CANNOT go back to them and ask for more, that's a contract.
If you can be sure that the frame is OK, then you're good.
Usually the fork tubes turn/shift during a mild wreck (not frontal) and you can loosen the headstock bolts to twist back everything in place so it might not be as bad as you think.

If the bike is totaled, you still have first dibs on buying it back for parts if you want.
Then, use the engine to put into say..................................a V7? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
That's what I would do...
In any case, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

If it's another white 09 8v you want let me know via PM.

All the best,

Mark
m p i n t a r @ c o m c a s t . n e t

From the description, the frame would need to be replaced, and frames can be ordered. I've done that with Tonti framed bikes. Book time for frame replacement on a Tonti is 16 hours, but I have some short cuts. I don't know what the time is for a CARC bike. The tricky part is transferring the VIN. If you can move a plate, that is easy, if stamped into the frame, a little more difficult. As I said before, if frame replacement isn't part of the repair, push for a total.

Given the state of affairs with insurance, I would consider the short term benefits of settlement from this claim against the long term impacts of hikes to your premium. Many insurance companies offer the first claim as no-fault; your policy may have this option. However, barring this first-claim option, the premiums may hike on the replacement vehicle and possibly other insured vehicles and properties to a degree that you end up paying more for the premium increases over time that was offered in the settlement. For a total loss situation, this may not be the case. However, it is an aspect of the claim process of which you should be aware.

I must have been asleep when reading your post... :roll:
I missed the part where the fork stops were sheared off, lol.
When appraisers see that, it's an automatic total loss.
They will not try otherwise, even if it's an easy fix...
My friend's wife had a 2 months old Triumph America (1500 miles) and she banged up the bike a bit.
broke a peg, mirror, signal and bent a clutch lever... One of the fork stops was bent and that totaled the bike, lol. Was an easy fix too (5mn).
If that bike wasn't a cruiser I would have bought it right out. I rode it to her house after the wreck, rode perfectly.
Had to rest my left foot on the engine guard but I managed. :D

Merkurwwu said:
What about getting protective gear paid for?

A claim to the liable insurance company may be in order. I submitted a claim to my insurance and they recovered repair costs from the liable party. I had to submit a claim directly to the liable insurance co. for items other than the bike repair. I didn't, but did make a claim for being banged up. My Firstgear jacket came through with out even a torn thread.

I found the state insurance commissioner's office to be very helpful.

good luck,

Yup, it's ironic but kinda makes sense being around rookie drivers :pinch:

When I wrecked my Bassa I had Accessories Coverage on that policy. That addressed the fair market value of all my gear that was banged up as well as anything I added to the bike. It was an inexpensive rider to the policy and only costs like $40.00 annually.

You'll just have t verify the covereage you have from your insurance company. Also verify if the other guys insurance company will be involved since he was in the wrong place at the time of the accident. But since you t-boned him, that may not be a factor if you were deemed at fault. If you're in a No Fault state, it doesn't matter as you'll only be dealing with your own insurance company anyway.

Once this is all settled and if you want another white 09 8v, let me know as mine will be available.

All the best,

Mark

The estimate is $10,110 in damage. $3926 of that is a new CARC unit. OUCH! $1926 for a new frame. Only $1700ish in labor though. Those little Italian parts add up fast!

No question the bike is toast.

I've been riding it and it's a shame it'll be a total really, it rides almost perfectly. A little pull on the handlebars to align them with the front wheel and you'd never know. We'll see what the buyback is going to be but asking around some it appears insurance companies have been wanting top-dollar for buybacks of late. We'll see.

Thanks for the help for an insurance Newbie.

Hello all,

I just wanted to give an update on this situation.

The bike, obviously, was a total with over $10k in damage. No questions. Buy back was $4500. When the accident occured the bike had about 8500 miles.

The insurance company had some difficulty coming up with a replacement value but ended up coming up with a value that I feel was MORE than fair. If I want another Griso, I can easily replace it. Also, in the state of Washington, State Farm will only replace required safety equipment, namely a helmet. They would not replace or repair protective clothing beyond that.

Now I have the undamaged SE brown seat that I pulled off and the soft luggage to sell (no brackets with the luggage). If interested, contact me.

Merkurwwu said:
Hello all,

I just wanted to give an update on this situation.

The bike, obviously, was a total with over $10k in damage. No questions. Buy back was $4500. When the accident occured the bike had about 8500 miles.

The insurance company had some difficulty coming up with a replacement value but ended up coming up with a value that I feel was MORE than fair. If I want another Griso, I can easily replace it. Also, in the state of Washington, State Farm will only replace required safety equipment, namely a helmet. They would not replace or repair protective clothing beyond that.

Now I have the undamaged SE brown seat that I pulled off and the soft luggage to sell (no brackets with the luggage). If interested, contact me.

I'd like the seat if it's still available. What price have you in mind & can you send it to the UK? Email me please! Thanks, Will

Pascal said:
So watcha gonna do? :)

I let it go. There are some 2V Grisos locally for $6000 asking. There are 8Vs in the cycle trader for $9000 asking. Considering I could easily buy another Griso of some sort that isn't totalled for a little more than what the insurance company wanted, and NOT have a project, I'll go that route. (Really, I have enough projects!)

Todd actually wanted to buy it by my insurance company talked me out of it. Apparently Washington state is pretty strict about title transfer and getting them info in a timely manner after a total. Since I still had a small loan on the bike, and I was going to be at the mercy of the bank getting my title transfer info to me in time, I chose to not go that route, unfortunately for Todd...

Now that I'm down to ONE bike again (a white 8V Norge) it's time to spruce it up. I'm working on Todd's ECU/PC-v setup, next is the Matris front suspension, then the rear suspension. I want to get the seat recovered in something nice, etc. Then I'll think about getting another bike, probably some kind of middle-weight sporty more appropriate to my 33 years of age. :laugh: Maybe that new MV Agusta Burtale 675 if I fit on it (I hear it's small!) I'm going to look at a GSX-R 750 this weekend (but I'm already pretty sure I won't like it-- but they sure are reasonably priced!) I'll make a move this winter when prices come down...

Kev

I'd go with the Brutale. Everyone I know that has one or has ridden one raves about it. I am seriously lusting after a 2011 1099RR that the dealership I bought my Griso currently has...(also lusting after the 2 1099R's they also have :roll: ).
Was a very good priced, very low miles 04 750 that was for sale locally a couple of weeks ago. If my bank account could have managed it, I would have added it to my garage.

Merkurwwu said:

I'd like to be 2nd in line for the brown seat should the other poster not want it. I'm in NY and showed photos in my other thread of my SE ripped seat. Much easier to buy yours and not have the aggravation of fixing mine. Then I'll put my ripped one for sale for someone else to play with
Best, Greg

Back