• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Pipes clean up.

Pascal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Grisopipescleanup.jpg

I got tired of looking at my exhaust pipes with its rusty spots so I tried an old trick and we'll see how it holds up...
As it is it looks great, better than factory IMO. It has that nickel look now.
I know that it will get yellowish quickly again but I'm OK with that as long as it stays uniform.

What I did was to wet sand the pipes with 800 grit to get a consistent look after all the blemishes were gone then I went over with 1200 in order to get the smoothness and shine back.
That's it, I didn't use any polish, chemicals or anything else.
So get your windex type spray bottle, sand paper and elbow grease and you'll have the same results. :D
Wend you sand though, make sure to always go in the direction of the pipes so it doesn't show any scratches, and use a lot of water on your paper so you don't have to be there all day, lol.

Looks great. Should the pipes be removed to do this properly or is there enough room to do attached?

I did this with the tubes on the bike...
You can see the water spot on the ground from the wet sanding.
Of course, you could take them off and do this on a bench then use a polish fixed wheel like you would do with a brass object.
Right now, it's kind of a tryout so I didn't go into too much labor until I know it's worthy to do so.

I bought some Swarfega Metal Cleaner & Restorer. It has the following description:
Phosphoric Acid Based Detergent - Ideal for removing rust, oxidation, corrosion salts, limescale and general dirt and grime.
Easy To Use - Can be applied by brush or cloth, or alternatively sprayed directly onto surface.
Mild Scent - Low odour for high user acceptability.
Highly Effective - Dissolves rust and restores appearance.
Contains Corrosion Inhibitor - Prevents acid attacking most metals.

I haven't got araound to trying it yet. Has anybody got experience of this or a similar product?
I don't want to cause any damage!

I am planning on doing some before/after pictures when I do it.

Regards,
David

I use blue job to clean my pipes with lots of elbow grease. Does 2 jobs in one time: cleanes pipes and you don't need to go to the gym :lol:

Looking new again, nice! But you missed that curvy section near the O2 sensor lol. I used to polish mine with Blue Magic, but found that I have better use of my time. So I'm watching mine turn a nice bronze and liking that look.

Started the process on mine last night. No more ugly brown liverspots! I dont mind the gold but the brown spots have always been annoying and those dont come off with Blue Magic. I only hit them with the 800 so far. 1000 tonight and then 1200 before buffing them out. I do like the brushed looked, but I figure I'll polish them out again. Great tip and super easy to do. I dont know why I waited so long. I almost got them coated earlier this year, glad now that I didnt spend the money. Timing is good for cleaning, bike is up on the lift waiting for parts so nothing else to do until they show up. ;)

I use Mother's mag polish with an old dress sock and run it like you are shining a shoe. Takes about an hour total and the pipes look like new.

kirb said:
I use Mother's mag polish with an old dress sock and run it like you are shining a shoe. Takes about an hour total and the pipes look like new.

I use that stuff as well but it wont remove the rust/brown stains. It's only good for shining not resturation. Removing the brown stains from the stainless is very difficult and requires something acid based to "pull" the brown out.

Epyx said:
Started the process on mine last night. No more ugly brown liverspots! I dont mind the gold but the brown spots have always been annoying and those dont come off with Blue Magic. I only hit them with the 800 so far. 1000 tonight and then 1200 before buffing them out. I do like the brushed looked, but I figure I'll polish them out again. Great tip and super easy to do. I dont know why I waited so long. I almost got them coated earlier this year, glad now that I didnt spend the money. Timing is good for cleaning, bike is up on the lift waiting for parts so nothing else to do until they show up. ;)

I own a body shop and I know that polishes and the likes can only take you so far...
Those nasty spots will come off easy with only wet sanding and it's a 10 mn job that way.
I ain't got hours to spend on that crap when I know there is a more effective/quicker way to get to the same results.
Like you, I don't mind the yellowish look but the rusty spot were an eye sore...

My results: :D
7539888438_128d43a46d.jpg

7539887812_da0b3eaca1.jpg
7539885830_211c23cfd2.jpg

I wish I took some before pictures. My tubes looked REALLY REALLY awful prior. Imagine HUGE brown spots all over the top of each tube and hardly any shine in either. The difference is really amazing. Easy to do as well! :laugh:

You did good, it looks great. :cheer:

I too, forgot to take pics before because mine were really spotted with rust.
I will do the wife's bike next and take pics this time but her exhaust pipes aren't nearly as bad as mine were.

Back