• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Help!! quick reply needed

af1-windy

Cruisin' Guzzisti
My brother rode over to my place for a ride out tomorrow, rode through bucket loads of rain. when he arrived it had stopped reading the speed, red triangle is on and service message is showing at bottom of clock.

Is it safe to ride? is it fair to say water has got in somewhere and cuasing it to do weird things or is it impossible to tell?

Looking for help/adice as we have a big ride planned for tomorrow. Thanks

windy

Is the problem with your Stelvio? If so it is very likely you have water ingress into the speedo sensor which is located on the rear hub. The symptoms you describe are what happened to my 2009 model.
Try removing the sensor, two small allen head screws hold it in, you may have to remove the wheel to access it. If you follow the wire it goes up under the seat, disconnect it and put it in the airing cupboard or perhaps put a hair dryer on it. They realy need to be sealed with clear silicone.
Assuming it is your speedo sensor I rode my bike to Northern scotland and back (the problem started as I left home) an estimated 1200 mile trip with the speedo working intermittantly, all caused by heavy rain.

I had the same problem in the rain with my 09 Stelvio - last year - October in Northern California - rally at Bodega Bay and ride to Pt Arena in the rain. My speedo sensor fried in the wet and the instrument cluster went blink blink. Instrument cluster at first showed no speed along with the red triangle. Then the whole cluster went blank. When it dried out a bit, everything worked except the speedo was off. Mine was still on warranty so local shop replaced the whole cluster and sensor. Works great since but I haven't been in that kind of rain either.

Seems you were all correct, dried out over night and next day all was well...

However, my 09 didn't make the whole trip, recovered home after the main fuse kept blowing plus the spare and a few 30amp fuses we had. Then the starter motor wouldn't work, click click nothing. We were out in the hills, North Yorkshire moors for those in the UK, near the listening base at Fylindales where the US army have some personnel, anyway there's no mobile signal up there but some friendly police chaps drove me about 3 miles until I got a signal, I phoned for recovery and they took me back, and hour later the bike was loaded and my partner and I were in the cab and on our way home... :( first sunny day for weeks... :evil:

windy

You seem to be having more than your fair share of trouble with this bike. On the Griso section there is a thread about blowng fuses that might be worth a read. Also has your bike had the rubber boot mod on the ecu? apparently this can help prevent electrical issues.
I know it's of little consolation, but a pal of mine who went away with me recently to the alps had a spot of trouble with his A5 engined bike which quickly sorted, this bike sits out on the road 24/7, not even covered up and has been through two scottish winters, it has never failed to start, it gets a hard life and is used regularly, the finish on it is standing up to these conditions far better than his previous BMW R1150ADV. These bikes do have the potential to go well and be reliable.
Don't lose heart with the bike, it'll come right. :)

fatal said:
You seem to be having more than your fair share of trouble with this bike. On the Griso section there is a thread about blowng fuses that might be worth a read. Also has your bike had the rubber boot mod on the ecu? apparently this can help prevent electrical issues.
I know it's of little consolation, but a pal of mine who went away with me recently to the alps had a spot of trouble with his A5 engined bike which quickly sorted, this bike sits out on the road 24/7, not even covered up and has been through two scottish winters, it has never failed to start, it gets a hard life and is used regularly, the finish on it is standing up to these conditions far better than his previous BMW R1150ADV. These bikes do have the potential to go well and be reliable.
Don't lose heart with the bike, it'll come right. :)

Thanks, I've had lots of kind and encouraging words, it's appreciated but little consolation when you're stuck 60 miles from home in a place where there's no mobile signal and the closest town is 15 miles in either direction. I've been biking for forty years and the only other time in all those years I've been recovered was on a Honda VTR that had a dodgy immobilizer...

I'm not in a position to swap the bike and I've spent too much money now to hand the bike to someone else to have a million trouble free miles out if it, which would be just my luck... :angry: so I hope this is an easy and not too expensive job and that once done I'll get some fun miles on the bike, unfortunately I seem to have been saying the same thing time and time again. :dry:

I know it's probably unlucky that I seem to have all the things that can go wrong actually go wrong with this particular bike but it's gonna be a long haul getting my confidence back with it and for a bike that should cross continents it's not good when I'm scared to ride more than a few miles from home.

Back