• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

…to Wales from Italy [mostly photographs]

Daniel Kalal

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Being a highly edited version.

It's Monday morning, and time to start riding.
photo125.JPG

I had no intention of staying on the Autostrada more than needed, and as soon as I could I turned south. I wouldn't be on any toll highway for the rest of the trip.This is a fairly easy pass. It'd be even easier if I took the tunnel route, but there wouldn't be much point in that.
photo134.JPG

Now I'm largely out of the alps and running through the lower mountain region of eastern France. This is a beautiful area.
photo143.JPG

I'm well off the main highway now.
photo149.JPG

photo150.JPG

I don't know if they saw the rocks and decided to run the road through them as a challenge, or if they had no choice. Bit of both, I suspect.
photo156.JPG

photo160.JPG

The Stelvio holds 32 litres, so that makes it more relaxing.
photo161.JPG

There isn't much traffic out here.
photo191.JPG

I wonder what the history of this road is? This must have been very difficult to build.
photo205.JPG

Saint-Vallier along the Rhone River.
photo209.JPG

photo216.JPG

photo234.JPG

photo236.JPG

photo278.JPG

photo294.JPG

Mont Saint-Michel. By riding to a remote location to take this shot, I have avoided showing the mass of cars and tour busses and the extended parking areas. There's even a reptile house, which pretty well caps off any serious tourist destination. So, no; I did not make it over to the monastery.
photo301.JPG

photo318.JPG

Saint-Malo is an old city that has often needed its fortifications. It didn't help much in World War II.
photo321.JPG
photo322.JPG

I packed straps with me, but did not need them. A ferry worker did a conscientious job at securing everything with the single strap.
photo352.JPG
photo353.JPG

Motorcycles were first on, but we were certainly not first off.
photo384.JPG
photo385.JPG

The next morning, it was still raining, but not so heavy as to be a nuisance.
photo396.JPG

Salisbury.
photo397.JPG

It wasn't raining too much, but it was surprisingly windy.
photo411.JPG

Stonehenge. The planning folks have done quite a good job at isolating the large parking area and all the tour busses away from the monuments. There's a walking underpass that takes you under the road to Stonehenge, so once you're at the site, you don't feel as if you're surrounded by too much of the modern age.You cannot get closer than this (unless you are a cad). This is all for the good. The grass is allowed to grow, and everybody will get a photograph that is of the monument, and not dozens (hundreds) of people getting in the way.
photo415.JPG

The rain was becoming an annoyance. Time for a break.I asked the bar keep what town this was: “It's Royal Wootton Bassett!” All three names.
photo419.JPG
photo422.JPG

photo421.JPG
photo420.JPG

photo424.JPG

I love these roads.
photo428.JPG

No! I've got nothing for you! The cows were all coming at a fast clip when they saw me taking their picture. I'm sure they were disappointed.
photo433.JPG

Craven Arms is short of the border, but would be a good place to stop for the night.
photo458.JPG
photo457.JPG

It's nice to have a large table to spread a map out. Michelin maps are the size of a bed spread.
photo455.JPG
photo475.JPG

photo489.JPG
photo490.JPG

photo494.JPG

Yes; this is the road I'm on.
photo497.JPG

Lake Vyrnwy. The stone dam was built in the 1880s to supply fresh water to Liverpool. Another tip-of-the-hat to our Victorian civil engineers.
photo499.JPG

photo506.JPG
photo508.JPG

This day, and the next, might have been my favorite of the trip. Amazing valleys.
photo510.JPG

photo514.JPG

Dolgellau. It was time to stop and decide how far north I would be going, and when I'd head to the coast. Wales was under a severe flood warning, and I was doing my best to avoid areas that were under evacuation.
photo516.JPG
photo517.JPG

That's a bacon-mushroom toastie.
photo518.JPG
photo519.JPG

Water everywhere, and not always where it should be.
photo526.JPG
photo531.JPG

photo527.JPG

THedges everywhere. The road is wide enough for one car and a motorcycle to pass. An advantage of the Moto Guzzi Stelvio is that it's a very tall motorcycle. My head is often above the hedges, so I can see things that drivers in cars cannot. For instance, I can often see cars coming, when I know that they cannot see me.
photo535.JPG

photo536.JPG

Rhayader for the night. This is Brynafon, which was once a work house. Things are much better for a guest than they would have been in 1870 (the workhouse closed just before World War II).
photo550.JPG
photo541.JPG

photo544.JPG
photo545.JPG

I liked how the roads were draped over the hills. In places they were quite steep, but you get used to that.
photo586.JPG

photo593.JPG

photo622.JPG

photo623.JPG

Tintern Abbey is at the boundary of Wales along the Wye River.
photo652.JPG

The rain was coming down softly, which seems to have kept the other visitors in the gift shop. I had the whole place to myself.
photo648.JPG
photo649.JPG

Yes; it's raining, but it's still a beautiful place to ride.
photo657.JPG

Fordingbridge. Too wet, and perhaps too cold. By this time, my waterproof gloves were soaked, and I had damp socks inside my waterproof boots. There is a limit, and when cars are pulling to the side, that might be it.
photo663.JPG
photo660.JPG

This would be the return trip on the same boat. For this direction, the trip would take eleven hours. And since it would be during the night, I booked a cabin. It's not a big cabin (which can be had at a price), but it's all I need.
photo670.JPG
photo671.JPG

Barns are interesting no matter where you find them. Function over style, always.
photo704.JPG

photo707.JPG

photo708.JPG

Mur-de-Sologne.
photo745.JPG

photo748.JPG

Bengy-sur-Craon. A good place to stop for lunch.
photo754.JPG

photo752.JPG
photo753.JPG

Châtillon-en-Bazois. I really did need fuel, but the sign on the door said he wouldn't be back until around 2:00. No problem, that's just fifteen minutes from now.
photo756.JPG
photo757.JPG

photo760.JPG

photo762.JPG

photo813.JPG

That's Geneva in the distance, and the Alps beyond.
photo816.JPG

photo821.JPG

Chamonix-Mont-Blanc. This is where the very-long Mont Blanc tunnel takes you through the Alps. I'm not interested in that.
photo826.JPG

photo833.JPG

photo840.JPG
photo841.JPG

photo843.JPG

photo845.JPG

photo848.JPG

photo849.JPG

Etroubles for the night. It was still early, but I was no longer under any time constraints. Better to spend the last night on the rode in the mountains.
photo857.JPG

photo852.JPG
photo854.JPG

photo877.JPG
photo878.JPG

photo879.JPG
photo880.JPG

I'm riding the road that goes around the mountain, not the one that goes through it.
photo885.JPG

Every pass is fortified.
photo888.JPG

Viverone. A beautiful lake.
photo889.JPG

Carisio. I'm riding across the level plains back to Lake Como, doing my best to stay off the autostrada.
photo890.JPG

Rice fields.
photo892.JPG

My cards are not welcome in the machines, but this one takes bills.
photo894.JPG
photo895.JPG

Barengo.
photo897.JPG

And, back in Mandello Del Lario. It couldn't have been smoother; the bike performed perfectly

Daniel Kalal said:
The rain was becoming an annoyance. Time for a break.I asked the bar keep what town this was: “It's Royal Wootton Bassett!” All three names.
photo419.JPG
photo422.JPG

photo421.JPG
photo420.JPG

Great photo's Daniel. :)

There is a lot of pride in the town for their "Royal" title - Wootton Bassett has only very recently become "Royal Wootton Bassett". Repatriations of fallen troops had taken place through the Wiltshire town since 2007. A few locals always stopped and paid their respects as the cortege passed through and the practice just grew, and it became a focal point with often hundreds turning out. Always done without organisation and the utmost respect for those that had given their lives for their country. The Queen announced last March that Wootton Bassett is to be the first town in more than 100 years to get the title of "Royal" in recognition of its efforts to honour the UK's war dead. The repatriations through the town ended last year as RAF Lyneham is closing at the end of 2012, with the majority of its planes, kit and personnel moving to RAF Brize Norton.

Wootton Basset end of repatriations.

Wootton Basset get "Royal" title.

As Theodore Winthrop --who, tho a world traveler in his own right, would have envied you -- said in the early 1850's when he first saw Mount Hood from the Dalles:

"Grand. Grand. Grand."

Can only add, thanks, Daniel.

Bill (& Kathi ... who was equally drawn)

As always, splendid.

Those french alps; a ride second to none. :woohoo:

Great article, as usual.
What camera do you use , and how many lenses do you carry ?
All that rain, and no photo glitches.
Well Done.

motoguzziman said:
Great article, as usual.
What camera do you use , and how many lenses do you carry ?
All that rain, and no photo glitches.

I used a Canon S90, which is one of the better point-and-shoots out there. It has limited telephoto abillity, but does not have replaceable lenses. Canon has recently updated the S90 with the S95.

I tried hard to keep the rain off the camera, but sometimes a drop found the lense, which created this odd swirling road in the New Forest region of south england:

photo659.JPG

I keep the camera in a neoprene zipper puch on my belt. The pouch is waterproof, but the zipper isn't. But, since I wear a Roadcrafter suit I think it's fairly well protected.

Back