• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Courtesy Wave

DanPez

Cruisin' Guzzisti
A show of hands ...... Please :lol:
How many of you fellow riders give a courtesy wave when a comrade crosses paths?
I know I do!

But I've been lately seeing myself waving at scooters.
Why ..... the front of these machines look like our modern day bikes.

Once you pass .....
Seems they don't know what the wave is.
Was much simpler when scooter looked like scooters :blink:

Attachments

• pic_004zoom.jpg
    pic_004zoom.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,203
  • doh.jpg
    doh.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,203
In Oz it's the nod. Only BMW riders wave here. Harley riders ignore everyone.
Start a nodding thread on an Oz forum and it'll probably get locked.

Me, I nod. Although for the first time this weekend I waved. Ironically to a Bimmer who waved at me! I sorry, it just happened.

cheers

Robert

If you are on 2 wheels, you are my brother or sister and I'll give you a wave and I even stop on the side of the road to help you out if you are broke down.

It's true, when I rode my Harleys, Harley riders all waved back. On the Stelvio, about 50% wave back. Snobs. :lol:

The BMW gang always looks twice to see what the hell I am riding! :mrgreen:

I`ve just returned from a recent trip to the Austrian Alps, the many european riders we came across wave if coming toward you and stick a leg out if passing you in the same direction. Looks like a kick but its a wave with the foot

Just did a 1,600 mile ride through northern California and southern Oregon. Mostly state and national parks.

99% of the riders waved. It's getting boring, it's so common here. And what's with the "Peace Symbol" thing? I don't get it.

I was thinking of putting a green bright LED in the side of my left front turn signal, with a push bottom on the handle bars, so I can blink blink at 'em imstead giving the "bro wave."

My riding friends all wave. They think I'm just a grumpy geezer...

I do like the foot out thing.

Alex

Used to signal every bike but now don't bother with Hardly Rideables or crotch rockets. I find Beemers nearly always respond, as do touring Japs and Ducati STs. When in Europe I do the foot thing. As granny used to say "good manners cost nothing, but are a good investment"

Wave, nod, thumbs up, or beep horn as situation dictates.
Anyone operating anything with less than four wheels; motorized or pedal powered; is getting some type of friendly gesture from me.

First time I hear of that foot thing! :cool:

Here are some excuses if you neglect to wave.
Found this on another site during my foot wave search ...... I had a good laugh.

Top Ten Reasons Why Dual Sport Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Vibration of knobby tires prevented the rider from taking his hand off the bars.
9. MX style safety gear was too bright to see you wave.
8. His front fender prevents you seeing him wave back.
7. Was too busy configuring his GPS/Enduro Roll/FishFinder.
6. His rain/wind/thorn/bug/bird proof thousand-dollar jacket won't allow it.
5. Faceshield was too covered in mud to see.
4. Doesn't recognize a wave in any language other than German.
3. Too busy splitting lanes/filtering through traffic.
2. One handed wheelies are not easy.
1. On single-track trails you stop, not wave.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuses to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height,programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

Top Ten Reasons Why UJM Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Something's buzzing around the tank.
9. Do you hear than noise the valves are making?
8. Trying to push start.
7. Just felt something shimmy.
6. Trying to isolate source of resonant shudder.
5. Hypnotized by digital gear indicator
4. Needs that hand to affect on-the-fly repairs
3. Previous owner replaced #3 with a 2.5
2.5. Mentally reviewing which parts use SAE and which use metric.
2. Wait, there's a number 2? This bike never had a #2, did it? ****!
1. Can't see your tank badge to determine what brand of bike you're on.

Why scooter riders don't wave back:

10. If you knew what a 10" wheel was like at 50mph, you wouldn't let go of the bars either.
9. And risk droping the PBR 12-pack?
8. Didn't see you - catching a few winks on the way home from an all night clambake.
7. It's a mod vs. rocker thing.
6. They just let the cloud of blue smoke trailing behind the scooter act as their "wave".
5. Hey, if you want 140 mpg, you gotta keep your elbows and knees in and your hands down on the bars.
4. The forty year old original hand grip on their vintage Vespa would fly apart if they let go of it.
3. Yes, I saw you. No Gucci - no gesture.
2. They're being filmed during a commercial shoot for a trendy lifestyle product nobody really needs.
1. Why do motorcyclists keep pointing toward the ground with two fingers when they ride by? What is that? What does it mean?

This is true , happened yesterday. I got my Guzzi sorted and fuelled up and outta here .Rode for an hour on my favourite piece of mountain road ( twice ), stopped at a little pub over the other side . I noticed when I went in that there were three harleys outside in the park area. One of the riders asked me what I was riding , I told him just an old 85 Guzzi 1000. He then asked if it had the engine in the right way round , or were "they" still getting it wrong .I just said it was across the bike like all Guzzis , what are you riding?
He told me a deuce. I commented , "Yeah , a deuce eh , 200 back tyre and they still dont handle , I prefer riding my Guzzi when I want to have fun, I keep my Softail for slow group rides on sundays ".
He probably doesnt wave to anyone , what a smart rs . Dontcha just despise those sukkers!!!!
Supaflee

Maybe i am old fashioned but in this world that is so full of violence, and dis-respect for everyone and everything by so many, i find the wave a welcome sign that we share something, even if it is simply our love of motorcycling. I remember as a kid walking down the street and everyone you passed said good morning or hi. Today you can't even get people to look you in the eye, and god forbid if you acknowledge someone on the street in some of your major cities.

For you guys who are so bothered by this simple gesture, i suggest you need to chill out, there are far more important things in this f**k*d up world to worry about then some stranger waving at you as he passes on his bike.

scottmastrocinque said:
It's true, when I rode my Harleys, Harley riders all waved back. On the Stelvio, about 50% wave back. Snobs. :lol:

I get the same on my HD and vice versa on my MG and Ducati.....

Me, I don't differentiate. I'll wave unless I'm mid-turn or something else that would make waving compromise safety, then it's a nod. I don't do the leg thing, in my group of friends that's how we warn the riders behind us of gravel, roadkill, etc. so if we waved with our foot/leg the rider behind us would think we were warning him of something on the roadway.

To be honest I hate the whole waving thing, its retarded. Yes you are on a motorcycle,I am on a motorcycle big deal we're not kindered spirits. I don't do a Lipitor handshake with other staten users. If a bike is along side the road I don't care what make it is I'll stop and ask if they need help.

Its to much to worry about, can't wave to Harleys cause they don't wave back. Can't wave to SS riders cause I'm not on a SS. Eff it!!!!! I just ride and enjoy my day and help when help is needed.

llamaman said:
I`ve just returned from a recent trip to the Austrian Alps, the many european riders we came across wave if coming toward you and stick a leg out if passing you in the same direction. Looks like a kick but its a wave with the foot

llamaman , r u sure about the foot "thing " ? when i left my hometown (Milan) it was NOT a friendly "wave" it meant : get out of my way.. now maybe things have changed..... :?:

Supaflee said:
This is true , happened yesterday. I got my Guzzi sorted and fuelled up and outta here .Rode for an hour on my favourite piece of mountain road ( twice ), stopped at a little pub over the other side . I noticed when I went in that there were three harleys outside in the park area. One of the riders asked me what I was riding , I told him just an old 85 Guzzi 1000. He then asked if it had the engine in the right way round , or were "they" still getting it wrong .I just said it was across the bike like all Guzzis , what are you riding?
He told me a deuce. I commented , "Yeah , a deuce eh , 200 back tyre and they still dont handle , I prefer riding my Guzzi when I want to have fun, I keep my Softail for slow group rides on sundays ".
He probably doesnt wave to anyone , what a smart rs . Dontcha just despise those sukkers!!!!
Supaflee

I got two harleys , a rigid and a swing arm frame... they are pretty old... anyway when i ride my guzzi the HD riders "snob" me , when i ride my harley they "snob" me because i am not riding a "ultra super geezer radio gps twin cam "
Most of them are just poser.... and they watch too much "sons of anarchy " LOL !!

Supaflee you are wrong , the guy did not ride a deuce , he is a douche.... :lol:

Seems that when someone buys a new or newish harley, they also buy into " if it ain't harley it ain't shit" attitude , along with the weekend warrior/wannabe uniform. Usually enthusiasts who ride older ones and do their own spannering , have a completely different outlook than the previous. My first harley was in the mid eighties , and here in England , they were probably only selling about 50 new bikes a year, so they were very thin on the ground , unlike now when every one and his aunt/uncle rides one.

Back